Author Topic: 440 rear main seal question  (Read 1997 times)

Offline AMXguy

440 rear main seal question
« on: November 24, 2009 - 10:06:23 PM »
My buddy had no leaks at all for the first month on his 440, now the rear main is leaking, a little. does high ( 80 ) lbs oil pressure have any effect on the rear main seal?

I recall something about if you're running an HV oil pump you need a different rear main bearing or something?  I know I've seen something special advertised for rear main problems we can't find anyhthing now that we want to find it.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 440 rear main seal question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009 - 09:03:36 AM »
Mopar used to list a grooved rear main brg but only for std diameter cranks , if the crank has been cut you cannot buy the grooved brg .
 All big blocks with a HP or HV pump make 80+ PSI so thatis not causing the porblem , generally the side strips on the seal plate are the cause of the leak , this has been enhanced by the deleting of the fiber strips that fit the seal plate in most gasket kits , how they figure a pipe cleaner is going to do the same job as the fiber strips I have no clue . It is a lot of work to pull the seal plate but my guess is thatis where the problem is

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009 - 10:43:52 AM »
Thanks, I could have sworn I saw a leak proof bearing, or real main kit for sale somewhere.

It sounds like he better just watch it and see if it gets worse, a drop now and then isn't worth tearing it apart unless there's a sure cure.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline matt63

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009 - 01:26:28 PM »
RMS always seems to be a problem for me.  IIRC some guys cut the cap down 0.010" although I don't know if this helps.  It won't help if it's leaking on the sides.  Those side strips are supposed to be soaked and immediately inserted so they can swell.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my next build because I hate leaks.  Perhaps some extra silicone on the outside of the strips or crankcase evacuation   :dunno:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009 - 04:32:55 PM »
They still make a rope seal kit for the rear main seal. Like what was used in the old days. Also check your crank case ventilation system and be sure it is clean , installed right, and working propperly.  This is a must. If your rings are worn, or you have blow by, this can cause the seal to leak to. Also if you are running 1 extra qt to much in the system, it will cause the leak.

Look at the back of the block to. Up by the bell housing top. Be sure the leak isnt the oil sending unit or mechanical oil line. And also the back of the valve cover gasket running down the back of the block. Or even the rear oil pan bolts to tight/loose/  You also have a cam plug and oil galley plugs behing the bell housing

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009 - 04:45:07 PM »
Mancini racing sells a rear main seal kit that works great! You wanna put a sealer in the joints !

That's what I've got , and no leaks.  Pete

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009 - 06:19:01 PM »
Don't know if it's recommended but I delete the side strips and fill the void with permatex. never had a problem after that.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009 - 02:00:02 AM »
I have had to go back & fill the gap between the seal block & the engine block from the inside using Right Stuff sealer & using a small screwdriver to reach up between the crank & block 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t