Author Topic: Total Timing Clarification  (Read 1297 times)

Offline AMXguy

Total Timing Clarification
« on: November 25, 2009 - 09:28:07 PM »
If I have this right, total timing is initial plus machanical advance when all in + - 2500 rpm right? or is it with the vacuum advance included as well?

If you have say 36 degrees without the vac advance hooked up, then hook up the vac advance you'd get something like a grand total of say 50 ?  I hear guys talking 50-55 degrees total  timing, that has to be with the vacuum I assume?that seems like a lot no matter what.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Changin Gears

Re: Total Timing Clarification
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009 - 10:01:56 PM »
You are correct on everything except it might take 3500 for all the mech advance to come in.

50+ degrees is common with vacuum.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009 - 10:24:03 PM »
 :iagree:   With the vac disconnected rev the motor as high as you need to find the max advance. If it seems you have to rev it too high you need to work with the weights and springs that are under the plate in the distributor to get it to advance quicker.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009 - 12:11:04 AM »
the rpm at which advance is all in is dependent on the springs and weights in the distributor.

Vacuum advance is dependent upon the vacuum the advance cannister sees and the strength of the spring in the cannister....50-55 is not abnormal at cruise when best mileage is being sought.  Remember that as soon as your foot comes down, the vacuum goes largely away and you are back to the total mechanical advance provided by the distributor.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009 - 06:08:30 PM »
  Depending upon application/driving needs vac advance may not be needed, it is only there for economy. At light throttle there is usually lean mixtures and they take longer to burn so more advance is needed for complete burning.
  Again depending upon motor mod's max mechanical advance up to about 36* around 2500 - 3000.   :burnout:
Dave

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009 - 06:59:27 PM »
  Depending upon application/driving needs vac advance may not be needed, it is only there for economy.
I didn't know that! It has no use on a car that is built for performance?  ???
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009 - 07:25:44 PM »

I didn't know that! It has no use on a car that is built for performance?  ???

If the car is used solely for performance then it is not connected, some people build performance motors but use them on the street for cruising, then it is optional.   :thumbsup:
Dave

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009 - 07:30:21 PM »
In fact for a race only vehicle that is not operated at low RPM you can lock out the mech adv also.  You just need seperate ignition and starter switches.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009 - 12:11:59 AM »
The MSD Digital-6 has a built-in retard for starting in addition to the rev limiters. FYI
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Ck[FIN]

• Get real - Get Mopar
    • Small car club from Finland
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009 - 04:35:36 PM »
I have 15:1 compression small block with solid 36 degree advance. It has msd 7 with no retard option at startup, it starts really well with full battery. If the battery is a little bit low then i need to crank the engine first and then flip the ignition on. Oh, and it has mopar performance mini starter.
Get real - Get Mopar

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009 - 08:44:06 PM »
I have an MSD E Curve dist, it has no springs or weights, just two switches to change the rate and amount of advance. I love it, timing seems more stable and always moves so smooth no mater how fast I wing the throttle open and shut.

I did not love the price of $400 thou but its been two years now..a good 20 months of use and no problems at all.