replace or keep

Author Topic: replace or keep  (Read 3095 times)

Offline 71_340Challenger

replace or keep
« on: November 28, 2009 - 02:17:00 AM »
Ok, I have been trying all day to get this on the site. Between my computer and apparently some glitches or something with the website have prevented me from finishing and actually gettting it posted.

So, here is the deal. I am stripping my 71 Challenger to restore and repaint and I have a couple of questions. Take a look at the pictures in the link below and you will see a pretty hacked up attempt to replace the quarter panel at some point. My question is, should I keep it and simply make patches to correct the bad previous attempt since most of the quart is in good shape? Or replace it with a new full quarter? Same for the lower rocker panel? This is not going to be a show car, but I want it done nice as I only plan to do this once.

You will also see some rust damage on the lower corners of rear window gutter on the trunk dutch filler panel. The rest of the panel seems to be in good shape, with only light surface rust on the bottom side. Again, repair or replace?

I have enough welding and fab skills to do it either way. Just want some input/guidance on what others think the best course of action would be.

Some pics of the quarter and dutch panel can be seen here (tried twice to upload them without sucess).
http://picasaweb.google.com/2Challengers/RearQuarter?feat=email#

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to be getting a new thread on my resto started soon. I hope everyone had a good and safe Thanksgiving. 
1971 Dodge Challenger                
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed manual
2009 Dodge Charger R/T w/ Road & Track Package
1995 Ford F-150

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: replace or keep
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009 - 06:52:43 AM »
It`s kinda a judgement call as it doesn`t look too bad and probably pretty easily fixed but with the new full quarters available the only bodywork required is the seam at the 1/4 to roof sail panel area.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009 - 08:51:33 AM »
If this is all your looking at I'd say fix it.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009 - 08:16:20 PM »
Looks like our cars were repaired at the same body shop!  :-)  They must be old repairs back when OE full quarters were available and it was easier to craft one on as a skin instead of replacing the full quarter.  I replaced mine with a full quarter for a couple of reasons... 1) it was brazed on, 2) they put the skin right over part of the original quarter which was a breeding ground for rust, 3) it would take like 3/4" of body filler to cover the braze with damage on both side (the little dots are from a pick hammer).

In this picture you can see the original factory quarter panel (with little spots of the original white paint on it).

As long as you don't have any of those issues, I would just take in to account the amount of time and effort it will take to fabricate patch panels versus the cost of a new full quarter and go from there.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline 71_340Challenger

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009 - 03:05:48 PM »
WOW Travis72, it is eerie how similar the repairs on our cars are.

The problems are not limited to the sail panel area Bullitt. There is also the horrible interface between the lower quarter and the rocker panel (I tried to upload the pics, but no luck, so try the same link from below and look at the new pics DSCN1477 and DSCN1478). There is also a small patch of rust in front of the rear wheel, about the size of a 50 cent piece (see last pic DSCN1481).

Any thoughts on the trunk/window filler panel? I am thinking it would be easier and just as good to make patches and call it good.

Speaking of the lower rocker, how best to repair that? Again, thinking fabricating a patch is best. But, I am also considering buying a rocker and sectioning out the portion I need to fix my problem area.

For the quarter, I am leaning towards replacing it at this point. But, I am also thinking about trying to fab the patches as necessary. Then, if I don’t like it, I can always replace the whole quarter later.

Thanks for the input.
1971 Dodge Challenger                
1995 Ford F-150

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009 - 09:57:34 PM »
The filler panel is not too bad to replace. The aftermarkets fit pretty good.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009 - 10:03:39 PM »
I'm a big fan of saving as much original metal as possible.

If you have the welding skills to make the patches, it would be a no-brainer for me.

I have sections of a rear dutchman panel here from a Challenger. If you want some sections of it to make patching easier just holler. You pay postage if you want any of it. I can cut sections out to save a little postage.

Offline 71_340Challenger

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009 - 11:30:16 PM »
Alaskan_TA

I am with you on the keeping the original metal as much as possible. But, given this quarter is not original, I am not as keen on it. But, I think that I am going to try and see how it turns out. I think I can do it. There are some compound curves, but all in all I think I will try it.

Let me know what you think shipping would be to ship it to my house in zipcode 99301 and I will send you the money.

Thanks eveyone for the input. I need to get my resto thread started one of these days.
1971 Dodge Challenger                
1995 Ford F-150

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009 - 11:37:00 PM »
Under 12 bucks I am sure if I trim the fat off & I just send the bits you need.

For the flange section below the rear window, about how long do each of your patches need to be?

Offline 71_340Challenger

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009 - 01:27:03 AM »
I need about 4 inches on the drivers side and about 9 inches on the passenger side. If you could also include about 2-3 inches in from the seam on the passenger side along with the flange that attaches to the quarter, that would be helpful. How do you want me to send the money? I can do it via paypal, or send a check or whatever works best for you. Let me know how would be best to get the money. Thanks for the help.
1971 Dodge Challenger                
1995 Ford F-150

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009 - 08:19:54 PM »
I do not have the ends with the flanges, just a section of the bottom window channel.

Send me a couple photos of the sections you need & I'll try & cut them so you have the interior trim mounting tabs where you need them.

Personal check is fine. You can email me by clicking on my user name, my email addy is in my profile.

Offline 71_340Challenger

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010 - 06:15:55 PM »
First, I want to thank Barry for sending me those pieces. They will definately help.

I have been working to cleanup the under side of the rear of car. Getting rid of the under coating and general cleaning. Once I got the under coating off, the passenger side outer fender well is crinkled up. I am again torn. I was starting to think that I would work with the quarter panel and not replace it. Now, I am not so sure. Again, this is not a show car, but I want it to be nice. What are peoples opinions on this one? Is there any realistic way to replace only the outer well without removing the quarter? I have kind of slowed down trying to decide which direction to go with this.

See the attached pics (not the easiest to see).

Thanks for the help.
Chad
1971 Dodge Challenger                
1995 Ford F-150

Offline Moparpena

• Project Challenger r/t
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010 - 06:38:24 PM »
My opinion is that you keep and repair original quarterpanel.

Wheelwell doesn´t look too bad from here, and you dont need to replace or repair whole half. Is allways possible to cut new wheelwell and take pieces wich are rusted on your car.
Dodge Challenger r/t 1970, fc7 car. Restoration link below:
http://penasgarage.blogspot.com/

Offline 71_340Challenger

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010 - 04:22:05 PM »
Moparpena, I would agree if it was the original quarter panel. But, I think it was replaced with one from a donor car at the same time the outer well was damaged. The entire outer well looks like a crumpled piece of tin foil. I can't think of any good way to really smooth out the metal given the limited access from behind. It does not really show, but in my mind, I would either have to replace the whole thing, or live with it. It is only in the wheel well of a non-show car. I am sure I could cover it up sufficeintly with some All-Metal or Eastwood's Lab-Metal. Thanks.
1971 Dodge Challenger                
1995 Ford F-150

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010 - 04:11:15 PM »
Get a new quarter and outer wheelhouse. You'll be happier and all of your welds wil be hidden. If it was just the outer skin patches I would have said go for it. One bad thing though; Sometimes the shipping is more than half of the panel.  I usually wait for a big show and get all of my big parts at one time. Most dealers will bring your entire order with them if you let them know ahead of time.

One thing to watch for too.  I've spent many hours making new metal match new metal. It isn't as easy as just throwing it one there. Your going to spend lots of time either way.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0