Author Topic: lifter noise  (Read 5911 times)

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Re: lifter noise
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009 - 08:58:27 AM »
I'll check the headers,But I highly doubt that's it. I mean,I wish that was it.  There is a big difference between a header tic and a lifter tic to me.But my hearing isn't like most peoples. It's the worst on start up cold. After 5 minutes it quiets up,But I can still hear it. Maybe it's because I'm listening for it now though.    Do roller rockers make a different sound than factory ones?  Thanx.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009 - 09:03:37 AM »
I have had header leaks that sounded exactly like a valve/lifter noise. After checking everything in the valvetrain and ruling out valvetrain noise, I changed header gaskets and it quieted down. I would have sworn it was valve/lifter noise. Those small header leaks can be pesky little things that are often misleading to diagnose.
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009 - 04:35:54 PM »
Use a stethoscope around the heads, etc...  This may help you pin point the problem.
Jason

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009 - 06:10:59 AM »
95% of lifter noise turns out to be a header gasket leak. They sound exactly the same. Though on some engines (like a Lotus I looked at for a friend) it can sound a bit like a rod bearing.

In the other 5% of cases it is down to;

Not following the correct proceedure when adjusting lifters with adjustble rocker arms.
Low oil pressure.
Worn or faulty lifter.
Wiped cam lobe.

My money (same as some of the other guys here) is on the header gasket. Unless you have great quality headers they will leak like that for sure.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009 - 01:17:20 PM »
What camshaft is in it? What lifter? What rocker? What valve cover? With 10K miles the cam's fine. Sounds like the preload might be a little off but until we know more you really are kind of shooting in the dark.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009 - 11:40:32 PM »
What camshaft is in it? What lifter? What rocker? What valve cover? With 10K miles the cam's fine. Sounds like the preload might be a little off but until we know more you really are kind of shooting in the dark.
Not sure on exact cam.measured .474 , comp lifters, comp roller rockers. Fabbed VC's from mancini.This engine was assembled by an extremely knowledgeable mopar mechanic of 30 + yrs. His hearing is off. Mine is too good. I just got back from some testing... You guys have convinced me to try for exhaust leaks. It's where I touched it last.Not him.I even had him re-set the rockers for me awhile ago.It isn't real bad and comes and goes. I would like a bigger cam,He said build a bigger engine.But he is a RB drag guy from forever ago.   I did spy that rocker torque wrench in jegs. I'm just afraid to try I guess. Wish I knew more. Thanks for all the great advice. Driving it around felt so good tonight. Had a blast!
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010 - 03:42:00 PM »
You said it is only coming from one side, sorry if I missed what side.  Is it possible that it may be your fuel pump rod, assuming you have a mechanical one?

Ding,Ding!!   Yup. It wuz the fuel pump.  I put in a HV Carter during the rebuild..It was noisy. Plus it was giving it too much fuel IMO. Now it's quieter,I can still hear it but it's better. There was quite a difference between the factory FP and the Carter. Fuel pressure was also too high IMO. Now it's down around 7-9 er so.  And when I really get on it there's less hesitation,Hickup. Also no noise on start up too!  :burnout:    :2thumbs:
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"