Author Topic: Which disk brake rotor should I buy  (Read 4960 times)

Offline JH27N0B

Re: Which disk brake rotor should I buy
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009 - 02:19:10 PM »
Not my intention to get in a p-ssing match with you, I am just saying I was a product engineer there for 14-1/2 YEARS and it is a little frustrating having some know it all kid telling me I don't know what I am talking about.  I still have a few friends and contacts at the company and get regular updates as to goings-on.  I know what is going on there and the company no longer has any North American production.... period.  A sore subject with me as I found myself out of work in 2005 after our struggling parent company Dana sold us off to some greedy hedge fund/investment group which formed the "Affinia Corporation" and focused on cutting costs to the bone and gave little or no concern to preserving the company's long heritage of quality domestically manufactured brake parts.
Those rotors had been made in my ex's Canadian plant, I have a few left here for spares that I purchased through employee purchase when I worked there (my cost was around $22/each!).  The boxes are stamped  Made in Canada.  That plant closed in '06.  As I mentioned in my previous post, some low volume part production was moved to the only plant they kept open, here in IL, and that rotor might have been made here for a year or two.  Since they closed the plant in June, they aren't making them here anymore if that was the case!  Which doesn't mean some of these rotors wouldn't be out there with Made in USA on them, just means if there are some, they won't be available much longer unless you find old stock. And if they do still make them, their boxes you find at the stores will soon say they were made in China.
In fact, a word to the wise, many of the low volume parts they kept here weren't cost effective to tool in China, now that the plant is closed, those parts will be obsolete when inventory runs out.  Many of these SKU's are for vintage cars.  Hopefully they built up a good inventory, or some other manufacturer will step up to the plate to supply these parts.  But all in all there is a good chance some brake parts we take for granted won't be available much longer, so might want to stock up while you can. :2cents:
Feel free to call the company at 815-363-9000 during the week and ask customer service the location of the US plants and they will certainly explain to you there aren't any now, or ask for my former boss engineering manager Ron Anderson and ask him.
If they tell you I am wrong, THEN you can post on here and tell me I am full of it!
Arguing with some headstrong know it all who needs to grow up is not my intention at all, I just don't want others on the board here to think that Raybestos is a brand to buy because it is still US made.  It was, and there is some US and Canadian made stock still out there.  In fact, some plants over ran production during the early part of this decade and they are spending a lot of money on warehouses to store this stuff indefinately!  So certain numbers will show made in USA for a while until they work off that inventory.
But as one of thousands who lost my job there to Chinese, that isn't doing me or any of my former colleagues any good when you buy from them. :'(

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009 - 05:45:01 PM »
 :wow: Resorting to name calling, very high class and professional, sorry you lost your job and are bitter, but really? Name calling? Is that really needed? Well I will not resort to name calling, so I will wish you a merry christmas and say good day.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009 - 10:02:35 AM »
If they are Raybestos, then they must have moved that tooling down to Litchfield IL from Canada a couple years ago.  Litchfield was to be closed in June, and the parts being made there were all low volume older application or special market type stuff that supposedly was going to be discontinued after the plant was closed.All Raybestos (and Napa United etc) is the same made in China stuff most everyone else sells now.  The few items they sell that aren't Chinese would be purchased parts from OEM vendors.
Really sad.  The plant up in McHenry where I worked had around 400 employees back in '90 when I started with the company as an engineer.  They made tens of thousands of rotors and drums there every year.  Now it's used as a warehouse and maybe 30 or 40 people work there.
They now have a skeleton engineering staff, I don't think anyone left in that group now even has an engineering degree.
Performance Friction and I believe Hawk are the only brake companies left in the US who manufacture brakes.  EBC is made in UK, there are some German and Italian manufactures I think.  But most everything else is now made in China or India. :screwy:

So, I guess it is potluck if you are still able to find a Raybestos rotor that was made on this side of the world and that will not last long.  Thanks for providing the clarification.   :)

I have not figured out why we are doing our best to shut down manufacturing on this side of the world and put ourselves into the consumer only category as it is going to be difficult to employ everyone at Mickey D's that lost their jobs.  It also puts us into the position of being totally dependent on others if push comes to shove.

I like the EBC stuff but, they don't seem to make anything for our cars.

Thanks for the education :)