Author Topic: No Gas  (Read 1556 times)

Offline BadJoey

No Gas
« on: December 05, 2009 - 05:32:08 PM »
Last week while riding around my 440 quit . A quick look under the hood and I concluded no gas . After getting towed home I figured my pump went after only 500 miles . The one before that was new and also only lasted about 500 miles but they were cheap ones . This time I got a $60.00 mechanical from Carter . The car will start if I pour gas in the carb but dies soon as that burns off . Fuel filter is still dry after 4 or 5 times . I poured 3 or 4 gallons of gas in it even though the gauge read 1/8 of a tank . I unhooked the gas tank side of the pump and blew into the tank with my mouth . I could hear bubbles in the gas and it did not feel like any kind of leak anyplace . My next guess was the pump is not being driving . There was pressure on the pump arm when installing the new pump . I looked at the old pump and the arm was not marked up at all . This problem happened all at once . I never did before in my life but do I have to prime this new pump . What drives the pump push rod ? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance .  :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: No Gas
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009 - 05:40:52 PM »
the pump pshrod is driven off the cam
My bet is 10-1 that the pushrod is worn down , there is a ridge about 1/3 of the way up on both ends , boh ends should be the same length

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009 - 06:01:51 PM »
have you tried taking off the pump to carb line, and running it into a coffee can while turning the motor over to see if its delivering at all?
i agree with neil, but it might be something simple.

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009 - 06:11:47 PM »
When talking to locals all feel that if the push rod was worn the arm on the pump would show signs of wear from free play between the 2 ? No gas leaks under car I'm stumped . What about priming the pump although when unhooking the Carter (newest) pump there was a LITTLE gas coming out . :stirpot:

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009 - 06:14:06 PM »
the pump pshrod is driven off the cam
My bet is 10-1 that the pushrod is worn down , there is a ridge about 1/3 of the way up on both ends , boh ends should be the same length
:iagree:
Happened to me too, same symptoms.  No marks on my pump arm, and it would even deliver a little fuel, but not enough to stay running at anything but idle.  A new rod goes for about 10 bucks, and is easy to change once you get that stupid plug loose. 
** Shane **

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009 - 06:27:33 PM »
Stuff wears out, my guess would be its more likely that the 40 year old rod is worn out than the new Carter pump is bad. Even if a tiny hole is in the fuel line it still should suck...fuel that is, lol.

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009 - 09:14:13 PM »
You guys have to be right , there is nothing else . ::) Soon as I get home from work Monday I'm going to order a new one . I'll install it next Sat and fill yous in . This is a first for me . Thanks.  :bigsmile:

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009 - 12:27:37 AM »
odds are the worn pushrod as mentioned by everyone.  If it is not that, then I think it would be time to go to the tank end and make sure the sock is not full of debris

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009 - 06:43:50 AM »
Tank , sock and lines are new .

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009 - 10:11:15 AM »
 :popcorn:  Just learning... :bigsmile:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009 - 02:20:58 PM »
May pay to visually check the line from the tank to the pump. It may have got hit by debris or rocks and squashed it. Also have you checked the same line here for free flow IE is there anything plastic (like a cap) jammed down it? Ask me why I suggest this?
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009 - 02:30:59 PM »
For what it's worth. The side of my pushrod that was up against the cam was worn down 1/8th of an inch. That doesn't sound like much, but apparently most of the fuel is sucked up in that last 1/8th of an inch. Like Chryco said, the ridge on each side should be equal length.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009 - 08:52:32 PM »
Just so you guys know I ordered my push rod today and what cam you have could make a difference as to what rod you get . Something to do with the steel the rod and cam  is made out of . Wrong combo could wreck your cam . :faint:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009 - 09:05:23 PM »
true
 Roller cams are billet & will eat the iron stock pushrods , they need a bras s tipped rod to live , the normal cast cams use the normal steel rods

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009 - 02:59:30 PM »
Nothing easy . OK just took the old push rod out . One end is 1/4 inch shorter then the other . Still will not run . Pour gas down the carb the motor runs till that gas burns off then dies . Next I hooked the pump up to a can about 2 feet from the pump dumped gas down the carb ran till the gas I poured burned then died . Bottom line the pump is not pumping . Cam was new about 1200 miles ago , pump and push rod new today . Is there any thing between the cam and push rod or does the push rod ride on a lobe on the cam ? Could I have the pump arm on top of the push rod instead of under it ?  I even tried pouring gas down the line by the carb to prime the pump although I'm sure not much got in . ANY HELP PLEASE I"M GOING NUTS . :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: