Author Topic: Buying a car long distance (Don't want to get scammed!)  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Purple73Cuda

Buying a car long distance (Don't want to get scammed!)
« on: December 07, 2009 - 07:18:29 AM »
I am in the process of making a deal on a 69 Charger. The car is too far away for me to go pick up. I am going to have it shipped to me. What is the safest way to complete the deal and protect myself? How do I pay for the car and insure I get the title and the car and not get scammed? Should I get a lawyer to hold the money until I get title and the car and then the seller gets the money from the attorney?
I am looking for any advice, especially if you have bought cars from a distance and had to have the car shipped to you.
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Buying a car long distance (Don't want to get scammed!)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009 - 08:42:35 AM »
Ask on here or Moparts etc if a member lives close by. Offer to pay someone to go look at it and take lots of pictures. Go over it with a magnet etc to check for hidden surprises! Specific models rust at certain area's first so do your homework. As far as shipping goes I had horrible luck with E-bay recomended DAS auto shippers see link. I bought my car off e-bay sight unseen, just pictures, looking back it was a huge risk, and I wouldn't do it that way again. I would pay a member on here to go look at it and take lots of pictures at the least!
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=52167.75
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009 - 08:54:35 AM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009 - 09:53:26 AM »
Thanks, Brad. That is a good idea!
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009 - 11:07:14 AM »
I recommend going to see the car yourself.  Your opinion of the car may vary greatly from the owner's opinion, or even another board member that goes to see the car for you.  I have purchased less than half of the cars I've gone to look at because the sellers either didn't know what to look for, or were not divulging that information.  I know this is expensive, but it is better to spend $500-$1000 to find out the car isn't as nice as you thought/were led to believe and be unhappy with a $50K purchase.

Regarding the transaction, the first thing you need to know is if the owner owns it outright or if there is a lien.  If there is a lien, you want to pay off the lien yourself.  Do not send the owner money and assume they will pay the lien off.  You don't want any ownership issues.  Second, in some states if there is a lien, the lien holder has the title.  In other states the owner has the title whether or not there is a lien.  Find out who holds the title.

Regarding shipping, go to Hemmings.com and check out their transportation page.  Check out those links.  If you fill out the form on any of them you will be inundated with many offers to ship your car that you can choose from.  Some of these outfits offer a service where they will take the check for the car when they pick it up.  That way you know that when the money changes hands, so does the car.

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009 - 12:51:26 PM »
where is the car?

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009 - 02:10:28 PM »
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009 - 04:44:00 PM »
Start another post " help I need some to go look at a car in........"  I do agree with JeffAARy it is best to go look yourself. But might be cheaper to pay someone ( they might even do it for free, I know I would) on this or another site to go look first before you spend whatever ( more) to go look yourself. It might be a real piece of junk and you could then decide if you want to investigate it further? People are really good on this site for the most part, I bet if you found someone on here that lived close by they wouldn't mind at all and the cost would be minimal if any!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009 - 06:48:45 PM »
Contact Chris at the 1969 Charger Registry with the VIN & see if he knows anything about it first also.  :2cents:

www.1969chargerregistry.com

wagesofsin

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009 - 08:45:44 PM »
Contact Chris at the 1969 Charger Registry with the VIN & see if he knows anything about it first also.  :2cents:

:thinkerg:  great advice barry!!

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009 - 10:20:45 PM »
Wisc.
I am in Ct.
Where in WI?  I might be able to send you about a million photos if it is close enough to me.  You could probably stay at my place if you wanted to fly in and check it out for yourself too.
** Shane **

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009 - 08:01:02 AM »

I sent Chris an email this morning. That is great advice. I never thought of doing that.
Where in WI?  I might be able to send you about a million photos if it is close enough to me.  You could probably stay at my place if you wanted to fly in and check it out for yourself too.
The car is in Milwaukee. I am thinking of flying out in Jan. to look at the car.
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009 - 10:10:22 PM »
hire a classic car appraiser. they will provide lots of pictures and will give ( maybe what you hoped you wouldn't hear) a professional opinion of the said vehicle. There are various packages available from them for what your after information wise with regards to the purchase. The appraiser shouldn't be partial to either party.
I am sure if there is a member nearby, it wouldn't hurt for there opinion either. Lots of member have knowledge of specific vehicles. Either way you gotta trust someone at some point if you can't be there.

good luck
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009 - 11:12:08 PM »
I hired www.AutomobileInspections.com to inspect a Cuda for me about a year ago. They did a fantastic job. They sent me over 100 photos along with thorough documentation of their inspection. They even provide you (as a customer) with an online account so that you can review the information more expediently and keep up-to-date with their progress. AutomobileInspections also offers very cost-effective appraisals with certain inspection packages.
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009 - 08:15:10 AM »
I am not sure how to approach this yet. The car is a rolling shell. It has original paint from the doors back. The owner sent me a lot of pictures and took pictures of any part of the car I wanted. The VIN, fender tag and body numbers match. The car has a clean title. There is no driveline. All the areas I was concerned about, (t bar crossmember, rear frame rails) all look great. I know that it will need 1/4's and a trunk floor. Do I need an appraiser? I feel pretty confident in the condition of the car.
I am concerned about the transfer of money and then getting the title and car shipped to me. The seller sounds great. My gut says he is fine, but I am cautious and nervous.
I think I will get a local member to take a quick look.
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009 - 08:23:22 AM »
Since it's a project car and not an original Hemi/6=Pack, etc, I wouldn't bother with an appraiser, but I would get a hold of a member locally to check it out, just to make sure the frame rails aren't doctored up, etc.  As far as the transaction, just make sure you keep all the paperwork, and make payment through a bank check or USPS money order so you have an official trail, then you have to trust that the seller is on the up and up, which is another good reason to have someone physically meet the seller and verify the car does exist.