Author Topic: 1970 Challenger, is it a parts car or project?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
1970 Challenger, is it a parts car or project?
« on: December 08, 2009 - 12:05:55 AM »
I have a 70 Challenger that I bought as a mostly complete car. It has no fender tag. It has no title, if the dash pad is there it has been taken off and it under a bunch of parts that are in it. So here is my question. It will need plenty but has a lot of potential because the frame is in great shape. I bought the car with a bill of sale from a guy I know for 300 bucks. I have just recently started inquiring on how to file for a lost title and it does not seem nearly as easy as I thought. It came out of Mexico too, didnt really register at the time because it was a good deal for a parts car. I am thinking it might be more trouble than its worth to dig for the title. What do you guys think? The bad thing is I have been aquiring parts for it off and on for a while. It was meant to be a young gun project for my daughter. Gimme some feedback please.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
Re: 1970 Challenger, is it a parts car or project?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009 - 12:13:00 AM »
I have a 70 Challenger that I bought as a mostly complete car. It has no fender tag. It has no title, if the dash pad is there it has been taken off and it under a bunch of parts that are in it. So here is my question. It will need plenty but has a lot of potential because the frame is in great shape. I bought the car with a bill of sale from a guy I know for 300 bucks. I have just recently started inquiring on how to file for a lost title and it does not seem nearly as easy as I thought. It came out of Mexico too, didnt really register at the time because it was a good deal for a parts car. I am thinking it might be more trouble than its worth to dig for the title. What do you guys think? The bad thing is I have been aquiring parts for it off and on for a while. It was meant to be a young gun project for my daughter. Gimme some feedback please.
fix it  :burnout: they all need restored  :working:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009 - 12:13:17 AM »
No title, no fender tag, possibly no dash VIN? From Mexico no less.

Have you had the body numbers run to see if the car was stolen? Email me of you want with the body numbers, I can ask around.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009 - 12:34:16 AM »
No title, no fender tag, possibly no dash VIN? From Mexico no less.

Have you had the body numbers run to see if the car was stolen? Email me of you want with the body numbers, I can ask around.

I will get them the next time I am at my dads. I am thinking the door decal is still there. If not I will look on the cowl and get that number. Never really thought about it being possibly stolen, would kinda suck if it were but such is life. Not much to it really. No drivetrain, no k member, no seats, no fenders, lol you know the type.
*Brett*

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009 - 12:59:07 AM »
Please check the door & the cowl just in case the door was swapped.

If the car was sold into Mexico, it may have had an auxillary VIN stamped as well. The two I have seen so far were on the front frame rails inside the engine bay.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009 - 09:20:06 AM »
If you can find the dash vin it shouldn`t be that big a deal to get a title.Here in NH I don`t even need a title to register it, just a vin check form done by the police,DMV officer or licensed inspection station.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009 - 09:45:54 PM »
Stopped by today and tripped out when I realized it does have a dash pad. 3 speaker dash at that. I got a shot of the vin tag and it does have the door tag although it has been painted over. I never noticed it is an LA car. Here is the pic of the vin Barry, maybe I can get some information about it by chance.
*Brett*

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009 - 09:50:43 PM »
I have not heard of it before. Did you check the body numbers to see if they match the VIN?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009 - 09:52:21 PM by Alaskan_TA »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009 - 09:56:20 PM »
I have not heard of it before. Did you check the body numbers to see if they match the VIN?

No I didnt. I will the next time I am out there. I was pulling a few burnt orange parts for Kenny from another car and stopped by just long enough to clean off the vin plate and snap a couple of pics. I will look soon. I know I saw a cowl number in plum once before when I pulled the hood to one side. I will check the rad support and cowl and let you know if they match or snap a pic if I can.
*Brett*

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009 - 09:38:46 PM »
Hey Barry, I checked the car out again today and all the numbers match. I did not check the rad support but the cowl matches the dash which matches the door decal. The car is plum crazy at the bottom of several repaints so I know the whole car is legit. Here are a couple of pics. I know you cannot tell for sure the vin on the cowl because the stamping is so deep and I only had my phone camera but in real life you can make out the numbers. One hurdle down. I need to research the vin now I guess. The guy who sold it to me said it had a rimblow steering wheel and I know it is a 3 speaker dash and an air car. I am starting to wonder if it might not have been a western sport special. Either that or a base Challenger with some neat options. Wish I could find a tag or build sheet.
*Brett*

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009 - 10:32:09 PM »
Definately check with your local DMV / BMV to see if you can get it titled. Register it also so I know who to contact of the fender tag or something else shows up for it;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/register.shtml

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010 - 05:30:48 PM »
Sounds worth saving. There are a couplr title services around if you have no lucj at the local DMV, but make sure it's not stolen first. Your DMV should be able to do this for you.

WSS.... :woo: That would be cool.

Check for belt molding and/or rear finish panel molding holes.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
*Brett*

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010 - 06:25:21 AM »
Brett,

Just copy and paste the IMG code on the lower left instead of the actual link .

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010 - 02:41:00 PM »
 :worshippy
*Brett*