anyone do a rear-disc brake conversion ? considering it.

Author Topic: anyone do a rear-disc brake conversion ? considering it.  (Read 2074 times)

Offline 74MOPAR

anyone do a rear-disc brake conversion ? considering it.
« on: September 02, 2004 - 10:52:39 PM »
 Has anyone done a rear drum to disc conversion. Something is loose and clacking in my rear brakes. I think it may be time to take on some debt and convert them over, instead of spending to refurbish the drums. I've talked with magnumforce inc. [ the guys that sell the tubular A-arm stuff ]  on the phone about it. There are some "hidden costs" beyond whats advertised.
 Have not talked to but know that SSBC inc  and   MasterPowerBrakes inc also offer kits.
  Input ??
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
Re: anyone do a rear-disc brake conversion ? considering it.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004 - 02:33:57 AM »
I went with Wilwood for all four disk brakes. On the rear, the only surprise was that I needed to shave the splined end of one axle down about 1/8th of an inch. The Wilwoods required the "green bearings," which were different from my stock adjustable bearings. Anyway, it is really nice having disks all the way around, compared to the weak, inconsistent stock drum brakes.
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Plum6Pak

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004 - 09:00:02 AM »
 ??? I am considering the same conversion, why did you have to shave 1/8" off of the axle, is it because it hit the axle seperator button in the differential and just wouldn't go in all the way? Could you just remove the button? I know once you change to green axle bearings the button is no longer required. Just wondering so I can do this without too much hastle. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did the Wilwoods set you back and where did you get them? Do they come as an entire kit for all four corners or what? Thanks Autophile, as you know, you can never have too much information going into a project. Can sometimes save time and money if knowing the kinks ahead beforhand.  :)

RedLine

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004 - 12:57:40 AM »
We used SSBC on our 70 R/T SE.  Conversion was a breeze.  We think they look awsome.  We used A156-1 for the front

and the A155 for the back

Also upgraded the booster and master cylinder.  They were very quick with shipment and the directions were complete.   I did have to make my own brackets to hold the new brake hoses to our 8 3/4 rear-end.  you can see what we did in the pics below.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004 - 01:39:08 AM »
??? I am considering the same conversion, why did you have to shave 1/8" off of the axle, is it because it hit the axle seperator button in the differential and just wouldn't go in all the way? Could you just remove the button? I know once you change to green axle bearings the button is no longer required. Just wondering so I can do this without too much hastle. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did the Wilwoods set you back and where did you get them? Do they come as an entire kit for all four corners or what? Thanks Autophile, as you know, you can never have too much information going into a project. Can sometimes save time and money if knowing the kinks ahead beforhand.  :)

Yes, the axles wouldn't go in all the way. I could set one in (either one), but the other one would stick out a bit. My friend just put one on a lathe and cut and chamfered it back a little bit. I suppose removing the button would have done the trick, as well.

I bought the rear disks from Jegs for $620 or thereabouts. I got the ones with the internal parking brakes (part # 950-140-7144). Here's the link:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=165232&prmenbr=361

I bought the front Wilwoods off of eBay. They go for $650 on Jegs (part # 950-140-2721-B):
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1185&prmenbr=361

I got the Wilwood master cylinder from Jegs (part # 950-260-4894) for $113:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1181&prmenbr=361

You will also need lines, proportioning valve, snap ring (green) bearings, and an adapter to mount the 2 bolt master cylinder to the 4 hole firewall location. I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you have about it.
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Plum6Pak

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004 - 08:03:48 AM »
Thanks for the information, that is very helpful, I didn't even start this thread and I got the help that I needed. Thanks for posting it 74Mopar! Awesome pics RedLine! Looks awesome, hope I can get mine half that nice! I checked out the links you provided Autophile and that is a good deal, the SSB's are very nice but a bit out of my budget! I will go with the Wilwoods front and rear, nice to be able to use my existing spindles. I will post pictures once I have them installed. Thanks again!  :)