Own a Camaro or Stang?

Author Topic: Own a Camaro or Stang?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline burnt orange

Own a Camaro or Stang?
« on: December 12, 2009 - 12:26:59 PM »
I'm just wondering if anyone here owns a new Mustang or Camaro....and is willing to admit it  :smilielol: 
If you do, what do you think of it?
I am pondering the purchase of a new car and all three pony cars are in the running. :22yikes:

I know,  :stomp: :swear:  but I am NOT a traitor.......I will be buried in my Barracuda, but I tend to keep my cars for a long time and loyalty to Mopar only goes so far! 

I actually like the looks of the Camaro, especially in orange, and the Stang is the most driver-oriented of the three.

Waddya all think?
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Own a Camaro or Stang?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009 - 12:52:28 PM »
Personally I would be supporting Mopar not government motors

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009 - 01:17:21 PM »
Personally I would be supporting Mopar not government motors

A consideration certainly.
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009 - 01:29:48 PM »
Well from an investment point of view as you ( like me) keep them forever. I would say the stang and Camaro ( maybe not so much the Camaro yet) have always been belly button cars meaning everyone has one. That being said the Challenger in the long run will be worth more I think. I hate to admit it but, the Stang is most likley the best bank for the buck performance wise. The Challenger is heavy. Don't know much about the Camaro yet?
Just my  :2cents:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009 - 02:19:12 PM »
If I could have any of the three i would pick the challenger, then mustang, then camaro. But if you are looking for the best bang for your buck the mustang may be the way to go.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009 - 02:24:09 PM »
I struggle to imagine, given the staggering performance numbers that the LS motors produce, that the aftermarket will not embrace the new Camaro with open arms.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009 - 02:29:00 PM »
I struggle to imagine, given the staggering performance numbers that the LS motors produce, that the aftermarket will not embrace the new Camaro with open arms.

I was at SEMA this year and they all ready have. It it were me I would buy a new Camaro and actually almost did back in September, but I decided to take the money i would be spending on a car payment and use it towards my Challenger and continue driving it daily. The best bang for your buck is the Camaro. The 6 cylinder has 300 hp and gets 30 mpg on the hwy. The SS has the performance of an SRT8 Challenger and GT 500 mustang at the price of an R/T Challenger. Yes there is lees interior room in the Camaro compared to the Challenger, but its a muscle car not a luxury sedan. The only real complaint I have of the Camaro is the trunk opening size. Anyways that is my  :2cents:
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009 - 02:54:15 PM »
I think it's a tough call.  Things are going to heat up in the next year or two.  Rumors of a higher performace Camaro are floating around, the Mustang V6 will be over 300HP and 30MPG and the V8 for the GT will be over 400HP soon.  And I'm sure the Shelby will be even higher than it's current 505HP when that all goes down.  The Stang is lighter, and with those powerplants it'll probably be even farther ahead in terms of power to weight ratio and handling. 

The Camaro is currently awesome bang for the buck in my opinion.  It's V6 blows the others out of the water right now.  It's V8 performance is that of an SRT with R/T price, and it is the middleweight of the three.  It is supposedly going to get a 500HP engine soon to be more inline with the Shelby.

As much as I love the Challenger, I just don't think it competes currently.  It's heavier, more money, a boat in terms of handling, and has less power.  I really wish it wasn't Charger based, I think that cripples it as a performance car because of the size/weight.  Not a fan of the Charger ripoff interior, but the other two dont make me go crazy either.   

Don't get me wrong, I love Mopar obviously.  I really want Chrysler to step it up so we have a decent contender to these modern day horsepower wars!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a serious upgrade to the Challenger.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009 - 03:06:10 PM »
I think it's a tough call.  Things are going to heat up in the next year or two.  Rumors of a higher performace Camaro are floating around, the Mustang V6 will be over 300HP and 30MPG and the V8 for the GT will be over 400HP soon.  And I'm sure the Shelby will be even higher than it's current 505HP when that all goes down.  The Stang is lighter, and with those powerplants it'll probably be even farther ahead in terms of power to weight ratio and handling. 

The Camaro is currently awesome bang for the buck in my opinion.  It's V6 blows the others out of the water right now.  It's V8 performance is that of an SRT with R/T price, and it is the middleweight of the three.  It is supposedly going to get a 500HP engine soon to be more inline with the Shelby.

As much as I love the Challenger, I just don't think it competes currently.  It's heavier, more money, a boat in terms of handling, and has less power.  I really wish it wasn't Charger based, I think that cripples it as a performance car because of the size/weight.  Not a fan of the Charger ripoff interior, but the other two dont make me go crazy either.  

Don't get me wrong, I love Mopar obviously.  I really want Chrysler to step it up so we have a decent contender to these modern day horsepower wars!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a serious upgrade to the Challenger.

:iagree: The Z 28 Camaro is coming out with a 550 hp v8
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009 - 03:23:12 PM »
Car and Driver did a comparison of the three earlier this year. They loved the Challenger for it old school good looks and truest to the original theme. But they preferred the Mustang overall. Despite being lower in power than the other two, they felt it drove better, handled better, and its lighter weight made up for its lack of horsepower. I belive they said the Mustang is more of a drivers car, the Challenger more of a muscle car. Camaro was just kind muddled around in the middle They couldn't decide if they liked or loathed its overall appearance, fit and finish, and performance was definetly middle of the pack.

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009 - 03:40:00 PM »
Having driven them all (all manual transmission), I can tell you the Mustang feels lghter and easier to toss around but is Slooow by comparison.  The Chally feels most like an old school Muscle car (but much better in the comfort and handling) and also looks the best by a mile.  The Camaro feels about as heavy as the Challenger, but that LS 6 speed combo is tough to beat for zoom and upgrades are pretty easy to find.
After the drives, the Mustang was no longer on the list.  If I were keeping it forever, I would get the Challenger because it is better looking and will remain more unusual.  I might even save the cash and opt for the RT since it is quite a bit cheaper than the SRT.  If I wanted something fast to drive with the most bang for the buck I would seriously look at the Chebby.  Best bet is still to drive them for yourself and find what fits you best.

That being said, Be Cooler and get the Challenger. :bigshades:
** Shane **

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009 - 03:43:19 PM »
I love the Mustang but I would like it much better if it had either the LS or Hemi motor. The Mod is a turd that's hard to work on. The Camaro is just too ugly to even consider, but that's never stopped GM guys from buying them in the past. :puke: There's only one on my want list, but waddeva floats your boat.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009 - 04:08:20 PM »
When road and track tested an r/t chally, gt mustang, and an ss camaro the mustang was only 3/10ths of a second slower to 60 then a challenger and 1/2 a second slower then the camaro....it just seems hard for me to believe that the 300hp v-6 in the camaro could even be close to the performance of the GT stang
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

hannah

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009 - 06:11:18 PM »
Well first I have to say it's pretty cool having yesterday's top muscle cars next to each other again today...who would have thought?

The Mustang will always be popular...will always get praise and everybody will have one...which is why it will always be on the bottom of my list

I was more impressed with the Camaro than I thought I would be...I can say I love it...and well it just oozes “bad ass” and that's important to me

The Challenger is similar in some ways...and I'm more than impressed that Dodge was able to pull off producing a new looks old vehicle...the Challenger just has something special about it...

And it is because of that "something" it would be a Challenger parked in my driveway

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009 - 06:37:36 PM »
I haven't driven any of them so I have to go on looks.
1/ Challenger - Did a great job of keeping the original look, but modernizing it. And since the original is the best looking musclecar out there....
2/ Mustang - Because it looks better than the Camaro
3/ Camaro - Looks good from behind but messed up from the front, it just doesn't look right to me.
 :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.