Author Topic: I', FED UP with mice!!!  (Read 5305 times)

Offline JayBee

• Resident
I', FED UP with mice!!!
« on: December 12, 2009 - 04:05:15 PM »
Found this one today and it's now the SEVENTH one this year!  :swear:  One's run up my leg and one's run down my arm while cruising during the summer. I've seen them run along the top of the door and down by me feet while driving too. Then I started putting traps in and checking the trunk before taking the car out. Now with the car put away and 4 Bounce fabric sheets inside and 2 in the trunk I'm still getting them. There's even mouse poison put out in the garage that needs to be refilled from time to time.
This is so frustrating, I've run out of ideas to get rid of this problem. Thanks for letting me vent, maybe somebody here has solved a similar problem.  :pullinghair:

John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
Re: I', FED UP with mice!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009 - 04:27:49 PM »
if they have a nest in the car you need to find it,,2 spots when i tore my car down was in the rear seat and vents under dash,, :stomp: rear seat easy ,,having to remove all ducts and vents will suck,,the vents at your feet that let air thru when driving is were there getting in most likely,,mine was so bad that when you pulled the vent open crap would fly out and not much air flow,,had to remove to get at,,if yours is not that bad you could try putting something up in the vents that would chase them out,,sounds like there is a nest somewere  :banghead:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009 - 04:59:03 PM »
cant you rent a cat or two for a while?  :bigsmile:    I`ve got four... no mice here  :thumbsup:    when adjusted right, cats work great...  :woo:
good luck ... go get `em
*** Bart ***

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009 - 05:00:25 PM »
WOW!!  :scared:

Mice on ya while you are cruising!?! And I thought getting a bee flying at you was a distraction.

I get mice in my garage every once in a while, but I was putting those poison blocks you get from the Depot in my garage even before I got my car, and that does them in before they nest in the cars.

I'd agree that it sounds like they are in the car somewhere, don't just poison them though... they WILL stink when dead, and if you got a nest they will not be your mascot for the drive anymore but will be rotting in your car ( like said, dash, seats? )
Does sound like you will have to find out where they are camping out at.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009 - 05:30:58 PM »
Have cat...have no mouse.
We have two house cats and an outside cat that the wife lets sleep in the garage when its rainy or temp drops below 70...she thinks thats too cold for a cat!!
Never a problem with mice, but our cat occasionally has open sores that ooze something that stains vinyl tops permanently. It even seeps through a top quality car cover!
Just make sure you put something heavy on top of the car to keep the cat off!!
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009 - 05:33:41 PM »
Wow sounds like you got alot of mice running around. Cats work. One breed in particular is the best breed of mousers. The Tabby.

I've had 2 before and one now. They never quit working.

Another idea is to try the rodent sound device.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline EDGEFIND

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009 - 06:26:52 PM »
I feel your pain. My mouse problem has greatly increased since I had my garage floor put in. Before, when I had a dirt floor, I welcomed my neighbors cats as they hunted them all the time and could squeeze under the garage door whenever they wanted. Now that it's sealed, those little buggers are taking over. I find them dead everywhere and have tried all kinds of things including the sonic thingies that plug into the wall and don't seem to work whatsoever. The bounce sheets worked great in my minivan as they had chewed a couple wires one year. The dealership actually recommended them and they seem to work okay. I'm debating on whether or not to get an outside cat. I have three indoor cats which take care of the majority of any mice that make it indoors.

If you think your car is bad, you should have seen my dad's Challenger after I brought it to my house. The smell emanating was so bad that I couldn't even walk into the far end of my pole barn without getting sick. It had been sitting in storage for nearly 20 years and the mice got into everything. I completely tore out the entire interior figuring they had come up under the console through the transmission opening which seemed to be the case. The carpet was wretched and covered with feces and dead mice. The headliner was destroyed as well. It took me a while to get it all out without vomiting but I finally found the nest which was behind the rear passenger interior panel next to the back seat. It was jam packed with insulation type materials and loaded with an even bigger mess. I never would have even looked there. Now, with it gutted, it smells much, much better.

Good luck finding their entry point and the nest. With it getting cold they are trying to get wherever it's warm for the winter.
-Jay, J.J., James, Jimmy Joe...I answer to all of them.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009 - 06:46:16 PM »
I had a similar problem, though they never ran up and down my legs :lol:. The next summer the car smelled a little funny. I looked under the seats, in the dash, trunk, etc...
Finally found two dead mice in the headliner! :villagers: I had to replace it because of all the rat poison, sunflower seeds, and mouse s#$t. I found one nest right up by the sun visors and one in the passenger sail panel.
This year, as suggested by Donotchallengeher, I placed irish spring soap bars in the trunk, under seats, on the package shelf, and in the air ducts. So far no problems.
That 'fresh' scent is just tooooo much for rodents I guess :lol:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009 - 10:48:23 PM »
Get a Jack Russel Terrior, those little dogs will kill anything. You wont have nothing living on your property. I used to have my buddy bring his out to take car of my ground mole problem. They would be here for a day, and no more ground moles.
Chris, Ohio

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009 - 10:58:25 PM »
Seen mice nest in headliners also.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009 - 11:01:19 PM »
 I had a ferret for a pet at one time. They are the ultimate mousers, they WON'T quit till they get it! They can go most anywhere a mouse can go too.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009 - 08:48:05 AM »
Well I don't live "next door" to our garage, and the last couple years no sign of mice whatsoever. Always kept "bait traps" filled just in case, I went to check on the gas level in the propane tank last Wednesday, while there did a walk through the garage and basement..........all 6 bait stations were empty  :eek2: I did put the Irish Spring soap in each car about a month ago, however I took a patato peeler and shaved the bar into strips, figured it would go farther that way. But I will be buying more "bait" to refill. Hope this dosent mean a harsh winter due to the early mouse activity? Cats would be good, but I figure their claws would ruin an expensive paint job, and since I'm not there every day they'd die and stink worse than a dead mouse.  :smilielol:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009 - 09:12:17 AM »
John, lay charcoal out under your car! NOT THE MATCHLIGHT KIND! I've been doing this for years. I've found one or 2 in the garage over the years but NEVER in any of my cars. 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009 - 11:40:40 AM »
Holy cow, thanks for all the great ideas. I'll implement most of them: more Bounce, shaved Irish Spring, and charcoal. Unfortunately, dogs, cats and ferrets are out of the question for the time being. As of now I haven't smelled a dead one yet...thank God.
I'll pull the back seat and rear panels on a warmer day just to look and I guess I should be grateful that I don't have a headliner.
The poison I've been using is suppose to make them look for water and kill them after they drink but I don't know if that really happens. For those of you that never experienced one running on your body while you're driving I pray you never do. During the summer I even thought of putting elastic bands around my pant legs for my Sunday cruises, just in case. Okay, thanks again, it's off to Walmart soon.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009 - 04:15:09 PM »
Jay,

Play this. And take your frustrations out.

http://www.flashrolls.com/shooting-games/Mouse-Kill-Flash-Game.htm
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009 - 04:21:24 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.