Author Topic: Replacing Rear Frame Rails on a Rotisserie  (Read 3485 times)

Offline fletch

Replacing Rear Frame Rails on a Rotisserie
« on: December 16, 2009 - 05:08:17 AM »
Hey Guys,

Just finished mounting my car on the rotisserie.
As I'm replacing the rear frame rails on the car,I thought I'd fab the rear mount of the rotisserie to mount off the upper rear crossmember(shock mount).All seemed to work well & car spins like a top. :woo:
What I didn't think of at the time was that the frame rail was under the upper rear crossmember,& it also need to come out to replace the rail. :swear:

My question is,do you have any ideas where I could mount the rear of the rotisserie?

The rear crossmember & the bumper mounts are'nt structurally sound enough to mount off of.(I've got to replace those too.)
The only other place I can think of is the rear seatbelt mounts but that's a long way from the rear of the car

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig
Craig
1970 Cuda
1970 Challenger
1970 Mustang
2004 Falcon Ute

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: Replacing Rear Frame Rails on a Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009 - 08:48:30 AM »
Dont try replacing those rails with the car on any rotisserie. The car has to be unsprung    ( on jackstands). Otherwise you will get a lot of body deflection and nothing will line up. ( Ask me how I know). :2cents:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009 - 09:56:35 AM »
The rails and rockers were replaced on my car while it was on the ground.  Only after the major metal replacement was done, was the car put on the roticerie.  The car was leveled out on stands and braced before the old metal came out.

Offline Moparpena

• Project Challenger r/t
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009 - 11:30:34 AM »
1 vote for stands and bracing.  :iagree:
Dodge Challenger r/t 1970, fc7 car. Restoration link below:
http://penasgarage.blogspot.com/

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009 - 11:41:06 AM »
1 vote for stands and bracing.  :iagree:

:iagree:  without bracing and stands it will spring the body  for sure.  Most anything you replace it will need bracing not to cause a problem.   :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon