Author Topic: Some welding questions...  (Read 2071 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Some welding questions...
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009 - 11:42:08 AM »
I've been welding a long time. One thing that really matters if you use a 110 welder, is your supply outlet and extension cord. If you use any 110v,15 amp outlet, you will wonder why welding is so hard. You may not blow the breaker but you won't get any heat penetration.

I ran a 20 amp circuit to my garage just for my welder. I only use short, heavy guage extension cords if I need to reach the far side of my garage.

Try a regular extension cord and try welding so you'll see what I mean.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009 - 01:23:00 PM »
I've been welding a long time. One thing that really matters if you use a 110 welder, is your supply outlet and extension cord. If you use any 110v,15 amp outlet, you will wonder why welding is so hard. You may not blow the breaker but you won't get any heat penetration.

I ran a 20 amp circuit to my garage just for my welder. I only use short, heavy guage extension cords if I need to reach the far side of my garage.

Try a regular extension cord and try welding so you'll see what I mean.
:iagree: you have to run it with a heavy duty drop cord and and a 20amp breaker or you wont be welding ,
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009 - 04:30:38 PM »
Man, talk about a timely topic for me!   

I just got done dropping my gas tank in preparation for installing the spare tire hold-down bracket.

I have a Lincoln 175  220v welder capable of taking gas (I dont have the tank or gauge for it).

Have played around with welding heavier stuff and got some welds to work.   I also blew holes through some of the thinner stuff....like exhaust pipe.  And that was dialing the welder all the way down.

I am using the heavier wire so I guess going to the smaller .023 and the gas would help....Then again, I looked at the tack welds that the shop who replaced the floor did and apparently they had some issues....

So I am a little (a lot ) spooked....I dont want to trash a perfectly good trunk floor.

That, and my welder falls short of reaching the dang trun by about 10 feet.....I have it plugged into a 220 outlet...can I get a heavy extention or will that be trouble?  I guess I could rewire to add an outlet at the other end of the garage....but what a hassle.

I am considering just riveting the dang bracket in....LOL  :banghead:

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009 - 04:34:16 PM »
Man, talk about a timely topic for me!   

I just got done dropping my gas tank in preparation for installing the spare tire hold-down bracket.

I have a Lincoln 175  220v welder capable of taking gas (I dont have the tank or gauge for it).

Have played around with welding heavier stuff and got some welds to work.   I also blew holes through some of the thinner stuff....like exhaust pipe.  And that was dialing the welder all the way down.

I am using the heavier wire so I guess going to the smaller .023 and the gas would help....Then again, I looked at the tack welds that the shop who replaced the floor did and apparently they had some issues....

So I am a little (a lot ) spooked....I dont want to trash a perfectly good trunk floor.

That, and my welder falls short of reaching the dang trun by about 10 feet.....I have it plugged into a 220 outlet...can I get a heavy extention or will that be trouble?  I guess I could rewire to add an outlet at the other end of the garage....but what a hassle.

I am considering just riveting the dang bracket in....LOL  :banghead:
yes a good heavy gauge drop cord can be used at least an 8 gauge wire
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009 - 04:44:33 PM by 72rtchallenger »
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009 - 05:15:18 PM »
 :iagree: I made one for my Tig welder, bought everything I needed at Lowe's. It was fairly cheap!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0