Author Topic: About to paint, need some tips  (Read 2355 times)

Offline challenged72

About to paint, need some tips
« on: December 20, 2009 - 06:52:18 PM »
So im going to be doing my own paint job to get it looking nice to be driven before I do all the sheet metal work, etc in a few years when I get a good solid income and can afford it. Until then I want it to look nice

I need some suggestions on compressors to use. I'll be using an air powered DA, and paint gun. I have somewhere I can do it, thats no poblem. I just dont have a compressor and would like to know what size is best.

Thanks

also any tips on whether to use the coarse fiber bondo or regular, etc would be great. I dont have much to fill.

I cant decide whether Im matching the original color or just repainting the whole thing some color of orange until I do the metal work later. Labor wise, would it be easier to patch all of the spots, or just go over it all with a fresh coat, there are quite a few little spots that will need to be touched up

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010 - 07:54:42 PM by challenged72 »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: best size compressor?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009 - 07:26:13 PM »
If a low cost temporary DIY paint job is what you seek look at these folks.. No special order colors but may have something that would do. For $100-300 you can get various types of paint kits that will include most all you need after body work .. Very good values on supplies as well

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/colorchart.html
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009 - 07:52:52 PM »
If a low cost temporary DIY paint job is what you seek look at these folks.. No special order colors but may have something that would do. For $100-300 you can get various types of paint kits that will include most all you need after body work .. Very good values on supplies as well

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/colorchart.html

hes looking for a compressor wade.

id try a 60 gallon upright.
 you can find em all over craigslist or anywhere for that matter.
what your looking for is cfm ratings.
look at your equipment and make sure what you buy is adequate to run the tools.
make sure you buy a good seperator, and a good regulator.

have fun

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009 - 08:17:26 PM »
If you plan to run a long board or DA for any long periods, then reserve and CFM at high PSI is what you want to look for. i.e. 14 psi @ 120 CFM.

I have a 60 gal. 5HP. (yeah right!   :smilielol:)  Campbell Hausfeld.
Way under rated but it does do well for paint work.

Eventually I plan to upgrade the motor and the pump and keep the same tank. weld a big plate on and re mount all new stuff. Then add a line going into a 20 gal reserve tank piped to make a total of 80 gallons.

Stay away from reed valve type pumps if you can. The Eaton pump is what I want to upgrade to. Read the ad below and look at all their selection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EATON-COMPRESSOR-7-5-HP-2STG-CAST-IRON-PUMP_W0QQitemZ360218491159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Air_Compressors?hash=item53deb1f917

Emerson and Baldor make killer motors to match up with the Eaton as shown.. So it comes down to budget. You can spend 2K on a brand new set up. Or a cheapie off of Craigslist. Then build it up later as needed like I intend to do.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009 - 08:18:38 PM »
I have a Craftsman 6hp /60gall 220v upright four sale , $150.00 pick-up..

I don't know where your location is but I'm in South Jersey..

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009 - 08:31:01 PM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009 - 10:46:10 PM »
topcat,you got it backward on the numbers,

OP, you need atleast 5 hp compressor,you can get away with using cheater compressor with around 12CFM,box store ones ,that claim to have 5hp compressors that are running at astonomical RPM's are actually 3.5 hp, if it's for one job,but if you plan on doing it on regular basis, you'll need a real 5 or 7.5 hp compressor that puts out 20-30 ACFM's.

buying cheap compressor is hit or miss, I've had a cheater 5hp Blackmax from Sams Club for about 7 years,it worked hard all those years and served me well,eventhough I never changed oil or filter,so when electric motor finally failed,I figured I'd buy same brand but a little bigger one, let me just say,within first two years I replaced just about everything on it,but a tank,

want the best? buy Quincy,step down at great value is Eaton
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009 - 06:54:45 PM by exvelocity »
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009 - 12:17:39 AM »
topcat,you got it backward on the numbers,

OP, you need atleast 5 hp compressor,you can get away with using cheater compressor with around 12CFM,box store ones ,that claim to have 5hp compressors that are running at astonomical RPM's are actually 3.5 hp, if it's for one job,but if you plan on doing it on regular basis, you'll need a real 5 or 7.5 hp compressor that puts out 20-30 ACFM's.

buying cheap compressor is hit or miss, I've had a cheater 5hp Blackmax from Sams Club for about 7 years,it worked hard all those years and served me well,eventhough I never changed oil or filter,so when electric motor finally failed,I figured I'd buy same brand but a little bigger one, let me just say,within first two years I replaced just about everything on it,but a damn tank,

want the best? buy Quincy,step down at great value is Eaton

Yeah you're right. Thanks. 
14 psi @ 120 CFM should be 14 CFM @ 120 PSI
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009 - 12:20:13 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009 - 12:19:59 PM »
Also remember to plumb your air lines so you don't get water (condensation) to your paint gun.  You'll want to get a good air dryer filter.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline challenged72

Re: About to paint, need some tips
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010 - 07:58:58 PM »
Ok so I have a good compressor and DA picked out, thanks for the tips!

now Im getting ready to tackle this, its uncharted territory for me

any tips greatly appreciated. I have a regulator, decent spray gun, car is stripped except for steering column, and Im about ready to paint it

aside from paint and clear, is there a list anywhere of what all I will need?
is it all sold in a kit somewhere>?

also if anyone has good step by step instructions, painting for dummies kind of thing, that would be great. Like after I get all of the body work done, prime it. Then I need to know what steps to take before and after I shoot it, how many shots of color, then how many of clear, and what to do in between, how long to wait, etc

any help greatly appreciated. Im painting my '73 351 Maverick first for practice, not really worried about screwing that up, its just a ford  :grinyes:

also I will be putting on a new vinyl to while its all gutted out. Easier after paint right?

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010 - 09:40:58 PM »
What kind of compressor did you get?

Like CODY said, you'll need a good in air dryer after the separator. A water separator isn't really satisfactory by itself to remove all the water and contaminants.

You can go find alot of brand name air dryers in TP Tools catalog online. The one I have is a cheap Harbor Freight but it's been lasting pretty well. I put some anti seeze on the air PSI adjustor threads so it doesn't freeze up. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98904

At the gun, screw in an in line air desicant for when you're painting.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94733

You can pay more for brand names if you want to, but a triple system will work fine.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline challenged72

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010 - 10:19:13 PM »
What kind of compressor did you get?

Like CODY said, you'll need a good in air dryer after the separator. A water separator isn't really satisfactory by itself to remove all the water and contaminants.

You can go find alot of brand name air dryers in TP Tools catalog online. The one I have is a cheap Harbor Freight but it's been lasting pretty well. I put some anti seeze on the air PSI adjustor threads so it doesn't freeze up. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98904

At the gun, screw in an in line air desicant for when you're painting.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94733

You can pay more for brand names if you want to, but a triple system will work fine.

Got it, thanks. here's my harbor freight list so far. Im going cheap, as I'll only be using this stuff on two cars probably.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Basket.taf?ActionArg=add

the compressor Im not sure, the guys giving it to me. he said it works fine and is big enough, when I get the numbers I'll post them up.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010 - 10:44:13 PM »
As far as painting, alot of guys here can give you tips. Like Challenger Gary and Farmboy.
Also check out You Tube and type in auto body painting. Good way to learn but be aware not all you may see are pro's.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010 - 11:01:01 PM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010 - 11:34:14 PM »
when are you planning on shooting the paint? I can give you some tips on what materials and supplies you'll need,the do's and don'ts ,give me a call anytime between 8am-9pm eastern time 904-721-3788
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!