Author Topic: About to paint, need some tips  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: best size compressor?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010 - 12:03:34 PM »
Also remember to plumb your air lines so you don't get water (condensation) to your paint gun.  You'll want to get a good air dryer filter.
I have learned the hard way, but make sure your water separators are 20 to 30 ft away from your compressor. This will allow the water to drop out into the canisters. What i did was run a line from my compressor to the other side of my garage ( about 20 ft) that didn't seem to work as well, so i added another 20 ft of coiled up hose to it. That made all the diffference. Now i have a total of 40 ft of line, and then 2 water separators, and then i put a new water filter on my gun each time i use it. Kind of expensive, but neccesary if you have higher humidity. I am constantly draining the filters and make sure you drain off your air compressor also. There should be a petcock on the bottom of the tank.  I have a 60 gallon, 5 hp. compressor. Not enough for most of the power tools, but it has been fine for the painting that i have done so far.  Good luck :bigsmile:

Offline challenged72

Re: About to paint, need some tips
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010 - 05:55:46 PM »
when are you planning on shooting the paint? I can give you some tips on what materials and supplies you'll need,the do's and don'ts ,give me a call anytime between 8am-9pm eastern time 904-721-3788

I plan on finishing up the body work in about two weeks, I haven't had a chance to trailer the car to my building yet, the snow has been wild here lately

I would really appreciate that, thanks alot. I'll have to give you a ring when Im getting ready to shoot it

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010 - 01:35:32 AM »
no problem at all,you may want to call way before you're ready to shoot,so I can make sure you have everything you need .
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010 - 07:43:54 AM »
If you can afford it look at a Delvilblis or Sharp three stage dryer. This has water/oil separators and desiccant dryer beads. They're pricey but will help a lot.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010 - 07:45:44 AM by farmboy70 »