Author Topic: Your Opinion of Cop Car Rallye Wheels  (Read 8413 times)

Offline Canadian Cuda

Re: Your Opinion of Cop Car Rallye Wheels
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009 - 11:14:14 PM »
I can certainly respect that comment. I find that there is a lot of LOVE/HATE when it comes to these wheels.

I was thinking, though, that I may be able to use these wheels with a certain twist. I discovered Stockton has 16" Cop Car Rallyes offered at varying widths. Rather than go with the standard 15x7 wheels, I figured I could buy 16x10s for the rear and 16x8s for the front. This way I could get wider tires than normal all the way around. With the slightly larger rim and the low stance of the car, I'm thinking the Cuda will have a more aggressive, modern look while keeping an overall nostalgic appearance. It will be something rather subtle -- enough that people will be able to notice a difference but not necessarily be able to put their finger on just what that difference is. Am I way off-base with this line of thinking?
are they steel? because as said previously the regular 15x7 are heavy no matter 16x10's :2cents:
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009 - 11:25:02 PM »
are they steel? because as said previously the regular 15x7 are heavy no matter 16x10's :2cents:

I'm not sure if the Stockton wheels are steel or not... Does anyone else know?

Here's a link to their site:
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/mopar.htm

Here's a link to the brochure page:
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/pdf/PAGE7.pdf
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009 - 05:30:52 PM »
I imagine they are probably steel but I'll bet they're not as heavy as the originals. I think the cop wheels will look a lot better than the others and who cares if they're a little heavier. It's not a drag car. That's just my humble opinion.
Dave

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009 - 07:15:54 PM »
16's would be cool. Especially if you get deeper than 10" out back. Tires might be a hassle though.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009 - 07:20:39 PM »
I imagine they are probably steel but I'll bet they're not as heavy as the originals. I think the cop wheels will look a lot better than the others and who cares if they're a little heavier. It's not a drag car. That's just my humble opinion.

I value your opinion, Dave. Thanks so much for sharing.

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009 - 07:27:54 PM »
16's would be cool. Especially if you get deeper than 10" out back. Tires might be a hassle though.

I think I should be fine with tires on 10" wheels. I have the offset shackle kit already installed, and currently am running with 9-1/2" wheels and 275 tires -- there's plenty of clearance. I can even go wider and taller with the tires. I'm really leaning now towards the rallyes. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Anyone interested in buying a brand new set of Boss rims and tires? They've never been used except in mockup and to get my car rolling.

WHEELS:
front: 18x8 - 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4.5" backspacing
back: 18x9.5 - 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 5" backspacing

TIRES:
front: 245/40ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport
back: 275/40ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009 - 09:26:23 AM »
the market for 16" performance tires is drying up.  Look into your tire sizes before you bite the bullet on 16" wheels.  And yes, also check on wheel weight, you'll start to feel the weight of the rims as you get bigger and bigger.  Stockton will be Steel Rims for a modified Cop Rim.  I think they also do them in 17" (I saw a set on Moparts? IIRC) and 17" tires are MUCH more available now.  They are like the selection of 15" tires of 20 years ago.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009 - 10:36:50 AM »
I had a set of 16x5 truck wheels once I sent them out and had them converted to 17x8 They did a good job of duplicating the poverty wheel look while allowing modern rubber to be fitted. Problem with them was the weight. At 35# each, they were 15# more than my 15" aluminum wheels and 10# more than my 15" steel wheels. That is enough weight to feel on the street and combined with the short sidewall they road like an empty 1 ton truck. Steering response was slow and heavy handed feeling. Definetly not my cup of tea, so I sold them after a month. I'd imagine a 10" rim will be around 38#, give or take a couple #

However, knowing that there are a lot of different tastes in vehicle performance, they may be to your liking. Heck, there are guys out there who like SS springs with 18" wide rubber on the back and pizza cutters on the front. Looks cool, but I could never really dig driving that on the street either. to each their own though. 

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009 - 10:46:39 AM »
Great thoughts and suggestions, Guys! Thanks for the input. It gives me more to consider before I purchase. I may end up staying with 15" rims for now, but I'll check on prices for the 17" just to see. Thanks again!