Author Topic: 340 belt throwing  (Read 1138 times)

Offline challenged-one

340 belt throwing
« on: December 23, 2009 - 03:14:55 PM »
Hi guys.  I have a 70 Challenger with 340, 4 speed, power steering and a/c.  My problem is the fan belt that runs around the crank pulley, water pump and power steering pump doesn't stay on.  It used to stay on just fine and now the dang thing never stays on and the problem has only gotten worse.  I first thought it would be a belt alignment issue. It looked like it lined up good, but could maybe use a little improvement. I put a new belt on and that didn't help. Then I did a little shimming on the power steering pump bracket and I thought it was cured, every thing seemed fine.  Then it started doing it again.  Thinking maybe my shimming didn't help, I took out the shims and again tried a new belt without success.  The power steering pump had a little leak, so I replaced that, hoping it would also have been part of my belt problem.  Wrong again!  The water pump pulley spins freely with now slop at all.  I checked the crank pulley bolts and they are tight, they were a little loose though.  When it's running I see no obvious alignment issues or pulley wabble etc.  The problem has progressed and sometimes the belt comes off within seconds of starting the engine.  Could it be a harmonic balancer problem?  Any ideas?   

Offline Jim

Re: 340 belt throwing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009 - 04:02:57 PM »
It looked like it lined up good, but could maybe use a little improvement.

Don't just eyeball it. Get out a straight edge. You might be surprised to find how far out of whack you really are. Doesn't take much. Stick cars love to throw belts.
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009 - 06:57:05 PM »
Are you sure you have the belt tight enough? I slip a big pry-bar down along side of the power steering pump to move it as far to the drivers side as possible before I tighten the bolt.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009 - 07:21:33 PM »
Are you sure you are recieving a 3/8th groove belt?  Now adays they try to give you mm belts which are not the same v shape and depth as the originals and can walk up the side of a pully. I had this happen before. Depends on the brand sometimes. Those top cog belts are known to sling off a 3/8ths belt pully system. They have all those little notches on top of the belt. 

It also seems that sm blk mopar pump brackets were known to flex way back when.  It is obvious something is off or maybe the pump/steering box isnt flowing right and dragging some on the hydraulics

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009 - 07:41:03 PM »
My problem is the fan belt that runs around the crank pulley, water pump and power steering pump doesn't stay on. 

On my 340 these are two different belts...Power steering is one.. Alternator & water pump another both going to one of two grooves on the crank...every small block I've ever seen was like this. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline challenged-one

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009 - 08:19:30 PM »
This belt is just around the crank, water pump and power steering.  The other 2 belts go around the crank, a/c and alternator. 

The belt is not 3/8", it's closer to 7/16".  I'll get a 3/8" and try it.  I checked the last belt that I took off and it is a 3/8" though and I had the prob with that one too.  It did seem to get worse when I put this last one on though, so I'll make sure to get a 3/8".

It's very tight, I do the same pry bar trick. 

I'll spend some more time on the alignment and try a straight edge. 

Just changed the power steering pump and that made no difference. 

It just seems weird to me that this problem has gotten worse over time.  Seems to me an alignment issue would be consistent.  Seems like such a simple thing, but it's been frustrating the heck outta me.  Hmmm

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009 - 01:41:55 AM »
Don't just eyeball it. Get out a straight edge. You might be surprised to find how far out of whack you really are. Doesn't take much. Stick cars love to throw belts.
  Also check the bracket that holds the pump and make sure that it is not bent or distorted, if the pump is in the wrong plane it will throw the belt.
  I also thought that the power steering belt went straight to the crank pulley, if there is a long distance the belt can get a whip up and throw off. This is one of the reasons this belt is kept isolated and short. My '70 Challenger has the short belt.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009 - 02:08:55 AM »
I don't know which power steering pumps had it or if it had to do with the brackets but with my last 340 car there was a hole that's square shaped.  Perfect for a ratchet end to fit for tightening belts.

A buddy showed me that, said that's what the hole was for.  :dunno:
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009 - 02:31:36 AM »
  Some had the square hole some didn't, it is a good idea to use it though or be very careful not to dent the stamped reservoir.   :2thumbs:
Dave