I like a lot of feedback on my 1970 Barracuda project Please :-)

Author Topic: I like a lot of feedback on my 1970 Barracuda project Please :-)  (Read 4705 times)

Offline svenjorgensen

I like a lot of feedback on my 1970 Barracuda project Please :-)
« on: December 23, 2009 - 10:01:27 PM »
I am about build my 1970 Barracuda. I hope to get some good advice and a lot of feedback that will be appreciated very mush  :cheers:. I want to build it right the first time  :banghead: :swear:
I will use the car for street driving and road racing.

The car has a crate hemi from 2007 and a 3 speed auto. My engine is not modified and it has 465 Hp but I like to get around 700 – 800 HK.

I am thinking about buying the Keisler auto to manual conversion kit with the Tremec TKO 600 and 5. gear 0,64 (to save some gas! And have a nice low cruising RPM). Keisler is more expensive than Classicmopar5speed, but they seem to have everything for the conversion!
Is the Tremec transmission a good choice?  :clueless: Where is a good place to buy it?

My rear end is a 8 3/4 with the small pinon shaft, I am thinking about buying the Strange Dana 60. with the 4.10 gears?
Is Strange rear end a good choice? Will it be a good combination with the 5. gear 0.64 and the rear end 4.10? My tiers is going to be 275/40/18 that is about 26,7” tall

I like to mount a supercharger on the engine to get the 700 – 800 HP but I still want to keep my shaker hood! For the look.
Has anybody done that? What super charger was used?

I talked to Mopar performance according to them I can mount a super charger and keep the boost at max 10 pound, then I only need to change the camshaft, springs, lifters and push rods and head gasket. How much HP will that give me?
Is that the right way to go? :pullinghair: Or what is the best way to build a durable crate 426 hemi with 700 to 800 HP?

Thanks for the help  :bananasmi. hope to get a lot of feedback  :bricks1:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: I like a lot of feedback on my 1970 Barracuda project Please :-)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009 - 10:22:26 PM »

The car has a crate hemi from 2007 and a 3 speed auto. My engine is not modified and it has 465 Hp but I like to get around 700 – 800 HK.

My rear end is a 8 3/4 with the small pinon shaft, I am thinking about buying the Strange Dana 60. with the 4.10 gears?

I like to mount a supercharger on the engine to get the 700 – 800 HP but I still want to keep my shaker hood! For the look.

Or what is the best way to build a durable crate 426 hemi with 700 to 800 HP?

Yes a Dana will be required with that type of HP you're looking for. You'll need quite a wide tire to get it to bite.

A shaker hood and 700-800 HP seems like a challenge since the hood is somewhat restrictive on air flow. I'm not a CFM air intake expert so see what others chime in here have to say about the combo.

Did you get a chance to read this testimony about Bigs carbs on a 540?
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=6273.0
http://www.bigsperformance.com

A roller cam with roller rockers, TTI headers, cross ram intake, Indy worked aluminum heads, just to name a few items will get you up in the HP you're trying for. 800HP Hemi's are serious coin. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009 - 10:23:38 PM »
Hi
I've had two cars with the Kiesler 5 speeds. One had 410 gears and you will find with the steep first gear in the trans and 410s first is more like a creeper gear in a tractor!
I really like the trans but one thing you will notice is until it gets about 1500 miles it is a little finicky to shift. Power shifting is almost out of the question.
I have a Strange dana 60 in my current car, tho I haven't put any miles on it yet from reading others who have used them I would say it's a good choice.
Dave

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009 - 10:36:33 PM »
Passon is rumoured to have a 5 speed conversion in the works for the 833. I don't have enough details yet and probably not too many do either.

Something to consider.

http://www.passonperformance.com/
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009 - 10:44:39 PM »
Kiesler is involved in a bankruptcy right now, I am sure you can google it.

I drove a pal's car with one for a whole day & did not care for it, it drove better with the original 4-speed.  :2cents:

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009 - 10:59:55 PM »
To each his own I guess.
Did know about the bankruptcy though. All I could find was 2008 records.
Merry Christmas.
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009 - 04:16:38 PM »
The Dana is an awesome choice , you cannot hurt it & you have 3.54 , 4.10 & 3.73 ratios available
 I would avoid Keisler at all cost , their service is horrible at best & every on eI have worked on has had issues . Tony Elder @ Classic is a better choice IF you actually want the Tremec , it will not power shift or shift above 5500 RPM without breaking , Richmond may be a better choice if you have to have a 5 speed

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009 - 05:26:35 PM »
 :iagree: with CP. That is the very reason I bought an 833OD from Passon. The Tremec is a good gearbox down low but the high RPM shifts demand a strong 'braking' action on the syncromesh rings which are unable to slow the heavy clutch mass down quick enough. End result is every time you shift in the higher RPM range you are actually crashing the gears together. You may not feel it but each time a high RPM shift takes place the damage adds up until kaboom time. If you putt around at the lower RPMs then a Tremec is the one for you. See how many guys drag race with Tremecs - I have never seen one at the strip at all. My friend has a 468CI Vette with the Tremec and he shifts down below 5000 and no problems so far.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline svenjorgensen

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009 - 07:57:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback  :ylsuper:

I hope to get some feedback on the issue with the shaker hood.
Have somebody mounted a super charger on a car with the shaker hood?

One of the feedback suggested to use the cross ram intake, is it possible to mount that intake under the shaker hood?
I have the single 4 barrel intake, that is mounted on the crate 426 Hemi from Mopar performance.
Will the cross ram have the same height?

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009 - 08:58:28 PM »
Bolt the bubble to the bottom of the hood and draw the air from below.  Take a look.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=62988.0
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009 - 11:07:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback  :ylsuper:

One of the feedback suggested to use the cross ram intake, is it possible to mount that intake under the shaker hood?

I have the single 4 barrel intake, that is mounted on the crate 426 Hemi from Mopar performance.

Will the cross ram have the same height?

The cross rams flow extremely well for the Hemi's that are stroked. It would be one of the best in getting max power without being supercharged or turbo'd.

The other choice that will fit under the shaker since the cross ram won't fit is to get the 4x2 inline marine version manifold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Performance-4510633-Intake-Manifold-7-0L-426-Hemi_W0QQitemZ390135647150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad5e58bae

It flows well and can fit under the Shaker. But again 700-800HP suckin air from those two scoop holes thru that seems like a big task seeming impossible.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009 - 11:08:46 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline svenjorgensen

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010 - 06:29:11 PM »

Was thinking about buying some headers, I have power steering, and 1.12" torsions bars.
Which headders will fit good?

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010 - 06:52:47 PM »
I've put three sets of TTI'S on and had no problems at all. Some say Hookers are good also.
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:01:22 PM »
I ordered a set of Hookers for a Hemi & they absolutly did not fit , you would have had to use a front engine plate & remove the left engine mount to use them .
My suggestion is the use the TTI , it fits perfectly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline svenjorgensen

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:59:22 PM »
Thanks 

I will get the TTI  :working::bigsmile: