Author Topic: Oil pressure???  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Glennster

Oil pressure???
« on: December 23, 2009 - 11:43:06 PM »
I've got a 340 that's been stroked to 416. The oil pressure runs around 70 at idle and bounces right up to 100 when you stand on it.
This seems higher than needed.................
What would be good for the motor, less oil pressure, or am I where I need to be???
THANKS!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Oil pressure???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009 - 11:45:39 PM »
If thats at hot temps it is high but not unreasonable and actually desireable to me personally. Sounds like all your tolerances are nice and tight.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009 - 01:30:15 AM »
  Seems a little on the high side if engine is hot. Too high oil pressure can cause gouging of the bearings.
  Rule of thumb, about 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm. I would say that you have the wrong pressure relief spring fitted or somebody "packed" the spring too much. 
  Also could be high if too thicker viscosity oil was used, I usually don't like to use anything greater than 20w or 30w max.   :2cents:
Dave

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009 - 09:06:11 AM »
It's too high. It doesnt damage anything unless the oil filter blows up or the drive shears off. But it does rob power and create heat. If it's going over 100psi there is a problem. More than likely it's an HV pump that doesnt need to be there, and the relief valve is sticking.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009 - 11:49:53 AM »
It is too high.  It can collapse the filter media if the filter is not made for that kinda pressure as well as blow the gasket out in some cases.  At best, is just using more power than it should to turn it and increasing wear on the drive system.

The max pressure should be determined by the spring in the bypass valve system.  Normally, if the valve is free to move rather than being stuck shut, then one would look at the spring.  Someone may have shimmed it as suggested above to increase the pressure bypass point.  The weight of oil could have some effect as well but normally, if everything is working properly, this should be minor on a hot engine.

I would check the bypass first as suggested above.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009 - 04:20:02 PM »
Most HP pumps will put a Mopar engine into that range , quite normal to me

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t