Author Topic: Adjusting doors  (Read 840 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Adjusting doors
« on: December 26, 2009 - 11:49:30 AM »
I have my doors pretty close, but will need some fine tuning. Fenders are on. How in the He** do you get into the door bolts now? I can't get a true alignment if i pull the fenders back off. Besides the hood goes on next, and i know i will have to start over with fender and then door alignment. Is there a special wrench that can be bought for getting into the hinge bolts? :dunno:

Offline resq302

Re: Adjusting doors
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009 - 11:55:38 AM »
can't you access the door hinge bolts by removing teh plastic rear fender splash shield?

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009 - 02:49:17 PM »
      The biggest frustration I have had so far has been trying to get the doors back on and regapped.    :swear:    :villagers:    I finally just gave up and had the car painted with one side not quite right.  Now I have to try and fix it.  It does look like you can get to the bolts with the splash shield removed but it will be a PITA.  If anyone has any tips or suggestions as I am in the same boat as Challengercrazy      :pullinghair:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009 - 05:17:49 PM »
I have not installed the plastic shields yet, so i will try that. Probably have to pull the tires off and crawl in their. :screwy:

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009 - 05:43:19 PM »
Yes, you will need to pull off the tires, but it should not be very hard to get at the bolts.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009 - 10:54:23 PM »
I use two long extensions on my ratchet and reach the door hing bolts with ease. :bigshades:

Have an extra socket ready for the bolts that bolt into the pillar.  This way you won't have to keep switching from short to long every 5 seconds.

You have to have the fenders on the car to do the door alignment.  There is not much way around it.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009 - 01:01:10 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I thought i was going to lose my mind before all this was done. i will tackle it tommorrow and se what i can do. Thanks
   :2thumbs: