Author Topic: 340 Build progress  (Read 4151 times)

Offline gs69350

340 Build progress
« on: December 26, 2009 - 02:00:16 PM »
 :working:

Hey all...  Its been a while since my last post...

The 340 project has been going on and progress is being made.

Yesterday I finished assembling the short block.  KB Hypereutectic pistons +.030, stock rods, crank 10/10.  Speed pro rod bearings, clevite mains, all checked in at .0015" clearance per plastigauge.  Used a comp cams double roller chain and a Lunati 60402 cam. 

When I put the cam retainer plat in, it made the cam sit pretty tight, I'm not sure if there's any endplay at all.  It did not knock out or move the plug on the backside.  Will the cam "wear in" properly or is there something I should be doing to correct this?   

Some of this block was disassembled before I started working on it.  Where the oil filter housing bolts to the side of the block, there is a threaded hole where it looks like a pipe plug goes, however I don't have anything to got here.  This is on the inside of the housing area, in the block, about an inch to the 4 o'clock position from the center hole if with the block upside down on the stand. (i'll attempt to post a picture).   Is this just a plug? pressure regulator??
Any help would be a bonus as I can't find any pics or diagrams of this area.

We sent the heads to a different shop than the block.  These guys are supposed to be the super-pros in the area... the heads have been there 2 months and so far they only just took them apart last week.  And as of now they lost our box of parts containing new lunati springs, keepers, and locks...  I hope their work is worth it.  In hindsight I should have taken them to Napa, which is where we took the block....

Once we get the heads, a new timing cover, oil pan, and some misc parts, this engine will be good to go!

Offline Rob74dodge

• 1974 Challenger
Re: 340 Build progress
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009 - 04:28:55 PM »
Hey GS,
Looks like good progress on the 340.
The threaded hole there is where the filter boss bolts up. You have some good parts there, I bet you will really enjoy it. 340's are screamers aren't they.I love em'  What is the lift and duration on youre cam?
I have a 68' 340 at the machine shop right now. Just waiting on the block to be line honed and when I get the Eagle rods I want the rotating assembly will get balanced. I'm having some cyl head issues to with my x heads so I know what you mean about the time. Seems to always take much longer than you think it will.
Well best of luck with the build! keep us posted  :thumbsup:

Offline gs69350

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009 - 05:00:30 PM »
Ha, i just noticed the picture got cutoff.... to the right of the hole you can see there is another one, its about 9/16"-5/8" in diameter and just below another hole that isn't threaded.

Big prob with the heads is the shop... The guy is like "we haven't worked on your heads because we have to get these engines ready for races this weekend"... He's been saying that since like week 4... You know what, we're paying customers too...  Have 2 other engines that will need machine work after this... He just lost those gigs.

Offline Rob74dodge

• 1974 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009 - 12:10:49 AM »
Man I hear ya, I'd look elsewhere too, there are some real chumps out there that just don't run it right.
I went through that with a set of Harley heads I sent to a shop.  I checked in twice and after a month I went over to check on things again and asked why he hasen't started, reply was why don't you just take em' with you if yer in a hurry. Man I wanted to tell him  :swear:, but my little boy was with me so we just brushed that dude off, moved on and found a good shop with some honest, good guys that my 340 parts are with now and they're gettin it done.
I bet things will work out good for you in the end.  Perseverence pays off.
I painted my first 340 the light blue also. You'rs looks great.
I'll ck those pics again and get back, can't see em' while relpying. I need to swing by the machine shop anyway I'll inqure monday.
What kind of heads are you using?
Good luck on it all. :)

Offline gs69350

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009 - 05:01:34 PM »
I have faith that these guys will do good work, its just getting them to do the damn work...
Supposedly they've already done the valve job, they just got hung up because they lost our springs, retainers, and locks.   I was actually more worried about Napa doing the machine work on the block and crank, turns out the guy at Napa does pretty damn good work.

The heads are "J" heads.

Here is a better pic of the mystery hole.  If anyone knows what goes in there, PLEASE let me know!!!!

Offline Rob74dodge

• 1974 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010 - 05:15:04 PM »
Hey GS,
 My computer was out so just getting achance to mail you.
I went by the machine shop to ck on my parts and ckd my 340 filter boss mt location .
The threaded hole you asked about.. mine is plugged. Don't know what else could thread in there but I think both holes  are part of the factory oiling system somehow.
Someone else may have a better description but mine is plugged. Hope this helps man. Lemmie know how that screamer runs when you get it broke in.
Later on

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010 - 07:45:52 PM »
Pipe plug goes in that hole.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline gs69350

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010 - 08:21:44 PM »
I figured it was just a plug, but wanted to be sure as I didn't remove the old one (the machine shop did).
We've got a 318 (dirty bugger in background of one of the pics) and was gonna pull that one out to take a look.

Got the heads back from the machine shop.  They did do good work including hardened seats, some bowl cleanup, and the usual bronze guides and valve job.  Shame they took so long, they obviously have a huge backlog but 3 months for heads was redicuous.  :stomp:

Just waiting for the timing cover and oil pan to arrive.  Should have this thing ready to go in the car by next friday.

Offline Rob74dodge

• 1974 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010 - 10:33:14 PM »
Hey GS,
Glad to hear you got you're heads back. Hardened seat got me thinking I should go there.
How much for that nowadays? I'm sure It would benefit in the long run.
Last ck at the machine shop he still haden't got back on my one head tat had a small crack. Usually he can fix these issues but kinda like you're deal he said how they were real busy. Yeh yeah get back to mine anyhow.
Seriously I'm not in a big hurry but would like to start on the short block at least barring he get's the line hone done and balance job finished.
Well keep up the perserverence man :ylsuper:

Offline gs69350

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010 - 11:29:19 PM »
Funny thing about the hardened seats... The guy at the machine shop didn't really ask about 'em, just did 'em.   No idea what the breakdown is as I'm just the guy doing the work and telling the owner of the car what to buy.   Which made me mad about the machine shop because I said to take the heads there...  Anyways the work was good and he did some bowl cleanup too so at least the quality was there.

Crack repair.... ugh.  Where's the crack? between the INt/Exh valve seats?   

Got most of it assembled today.  Stole a pipe plug off a spare 318 for that hole under the oil filter housing...

Now just waiting on a timing cover, oil pan, and misc parts to get here...

Anyone know where I can get a "Distributor intermediate shaft bushing" ?

Offline Rob74dodge

• 1974 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010 - 01:39:30 PM »
Found that intermediate shaft at Mancini racing..pt# MOP1737725 for 8.95$.
You may be able to use that number locally and get it quicker but I bet Mancini keeps it in stock also.
I was thinking of buying an aftermarket pan but some of thr prices ran me off. Any reccomendations? Was thinking of maybe getting one that held more than 5 qts.

Offline gs69350

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010 - 03:08:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the bushing!

The guy i'm building this engine for ordered 2 oil pans, supposedly stock but one is chrome.  He has an extra 360 thats supposedly "built" and it has some goodies on it, like a milodon ginormous oil pan, not sure if he's gonna use that pan or not.  He's trying to find a no-drivetrain duster with the right options to put it in.

Here's the latest pic...  Basically just waiting on the external covers to come in, then she'll be ready to go in the car, which should be back from the paint shop next week.    :ylsuper:

Gonna see about going with a proform 750 vac secondary carb for this beast.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010 - 10:21:52 PM »
Awesome work!  :biggrin:

I've got a 340 shortblock I'm about to assemble too, sounds a lot like yours! Mine's running KB243's, but at .060 over, forged crank at 10/10, stock rods with ARP bolts, all balanced. Lunati 60404 for the cam, double roller cam. I've also got a set of ported 308's for it, adjustable rockers and a Kevco M301 6 quart pan.

Any tips or trick on assembling the long block? I had my machine shop do the short block assembly, I've done a few short to long block assemblies but not on a mopar...

Can't wait to see that thing going!  :2thumbs:

Offline gs69350

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010 - 01:10:59 AM »
This was my first mopar engine.  Most of my experience is with Buicks and some Fords.

Only real tricky part was the distributor shaft bushing  -make sure its there!  Then again, you can install this with the top end assembled.

The "long block" assembley is pretty much on par with the other engines I've done.  Make sure gasket surfaces are clean and straight.

The engine is 95% done.  Just some small things left like vaccum ports, water fittings, etc.  We're still waiting on a pulley set as well, did not have originals and this car will have A/C and power steering.  We had a nice shiny aluminum set but they sent the wrong kit (no a/c pulley).

The car came back from the paint shop today actually.  The engine bay is done and waiting for the engine, it will be going back to the paint shop Friday or Saturday after I put the engine and trans in.

Here's an updated pic.  Will post one of it in the car once its done.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010 - 07:57:37 AM »
One note of concern to me... It looks like you painted the block before installing the freeze plugs... Brass core plugs do not grab the bores as well as steel... So the core plug bores should not be painted, and I use a little emory cloth and brake cleaner to make sure they are clean before I the plugs are installed.