Author Topic: Wood Rotisserie  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Wood Rotisserie
« on: December 27, 2009 - 02:41:14 PM »
Yup its wood.
Along with a courteous donation of some scrap steel 2x2 from one of our fellow members.
This will probably be to only time I ever do a resto like this and for the 110 bucks in lumber, why not? The steel was a no brainer. There were many posts on here for creating the actual mounts that go to the car. The rest takes some background in in wood framing, which I have all too much of.
Almost the entire thing is made of 5 foot 2x8's which will be turned into shelving once I'm done. There were a few 2x4's to span across the two halves. Also purchased 8 casters that I can always turn into dollys. The whole thing can be wheeled around. The only part I really won't be able to recycle are the two steel sections that actually mount to the car's frame. Those I'll probably sell off or something. Who knows.
I did this because I couldn't see investing a bunch of money into an all steel rotisserie for just one project. And I didn't feel like going through the nickle and dimeing of trying to sell the thing.
Sorry about the last shot. It's dark. I couldn't get enough lighting but wanted to get the whole span of the car.

Offline FY1Cuda

Re: Wood Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009 - 03:01:02 PM »
Very nice job.  :2thumbs:  I too am a believer in doing things on a budget, so I appreciate the DIY aspect of car restoration.  Besides, you'll have plenty of opportunities to spend money as your project progresses.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009 - 03:13:43 PM »
That looks good, do you have any closer pics of the mounting areas?  And the steelwork if possible.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009 - 03:35:23 PM »
Hey 72. Let me know if these work. If not give me a good idea of exactly what your looking for. No sweat.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009 - 03:44:47 PM »
So just some 2x2 on the ends with a 2"tube?  I see the top 2x2 just for stabilizing?  I like the rad support work, look strong.

Tom

Looks great.
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009 - 03:51:50 PM »
Damn John, you've been busy! Is it just me, or does that thing just barely fit in the garage now?   :2thumbs:
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009 - 04:55:58 PM »
The ends that go through the wood are actually round cage tubing left over from an old 10 pt I did years ago. but over all it is entirely 2x2.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009 - 04:59:48 PM »
Damn John, you've been busy! Is it just me, or does that thing just barely fit in the garage now?   :2thumbs:
Hey Steve,
Yea, got the bug back. this pro-touring thing is the direction I will be going. Will be starting on the back end narrowing the rails and widening the wheel wells to fit a wider tire. Still not 100% sure how will be going with the front. Non of the e-body options look good to me...

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009 - 05:17:14 PM »
As a professional carpenter, I have to say wow. 
That is pretty slick.  All those materials are in my
back yard.   :stirpot:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009 - 05:42:35 PM »
I would be scared to use a wooden one myself.

If you hear any cracking or snapping, RUN!

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009 - 06:10:41 PM »
When you think about it the roof over your head holds a lot more than a gutted car for weight. Especially with 18 inches of snow on it. Wood as just as strong if you base it on a post and lintel concept. You can't crush a vertical wood beam. Lay it on its side and it gets weaker. Lay it flat like a plank and its even weaker. Each A frame has two vertical 2x8's screwed together. Basically like a bearing wall. And those can support tons. I could lift the 3/4's of the car by myself. With jack stands under the diff. So to have two A frames each holding about what I can lift is really not that big a deal.
The only thing that concerned me and apparently I was successful at it were the joints. Where the ends of the wood cam in contact with each other. I thought about plating the joints like they do on decks, but over all the only force is straight down so I gave it a shot. Been up for about a month so far with no issues.

wagesofsin

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009 - 06:54:51 PM »
very slick, and sound practicality and reasoning at its finest!
kudos to you.

:2thumbs:

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009 - 07:07:49 PM »
I think that is awsome.
I had a friend use the wooden wheels from a large cable spool,mounted on the frt and back of a 71 Mustang vert,he needed to finish for his wife so he could finish his dragster.

Offline farmertan

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009 - 10:40:05 PM »
I have to admit after reading the title I thought uh oh accident waiting to happen, but after seeing the pics its obvious you know your way around a 2 x 4, excellent work, congrats.  :clapping:
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009 - 10:59:48 PM »
Looking good...........what part of the state are you located in?
Dave or David