Author Topic: Header Bolts / Exaust leak....  (Read 556 times)

Offline Glennster

Header Bolts / Exaust leak....
« on: December 29, 2009 - 07:16:41 AM »
  I've got the Hooker Super Comp headers, they came with bolts that are 3/4'' long. I have an exhaust leak on the front passenger side, just that one cylinder is leaking. I put 2 of the the gaskets pictured here on the drivers side. They are pretty thick, I used 2 to get the pipes away from the starter. I only had one more of these, I used it on the passenger side. I never used the ones that came with the headers. I'm adding the Hooker gaskets to the passenger side in an effort to stop the exhaust leak, but I'd like to go from the 3/4'' length bolt to a 1''.
  I looked at all the bolts that Jegs has on there site, I really like the idea of an allen bolt, but I'm not sure how good they are. The Milodon with a 3/8'' hex head looks tempting too. I want a REAL GOOD quality 1'' bolt, what the heck should I buy?
THANKS ! ! !

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Re: Header Bolts / Exaust leak....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009 - 08:57:59 AM »
I like 12 points.Lot's of engagement,not a lot of room. Went with the ARP stainless. Was really worth the extra 20 bucks er so. I'm diggn' around in there too.Lookin' for a leak,Nothin' yet...        Metal gaskets. 

'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009 - 09:45:14 AM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009 - 09:45:38 AM »
I just go down to my local parts house and buy what length I need in #8 grade :2thumbs:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009 - 09:47:45 AM »
I have arps. The regular size head (1/2"?) from the parts house would not clear my cheapo small block headers. Sealing has a lot to do with the flange on the headers. I've always taken a long file to my flanges, also submerged my white paper header gaskets in water over night. Causes them to expand and swell. Install the headers and let the gaskets dry out as much as you can before firing, helps them conform.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link