Author Topic: Torque boxes- worth it for a stocker?  (Read 968 times)

Offline priderocks

Torque boxes- worth it for a stocker?
« on: December 29, 2009 - 07:32:45 PM »
In normal daily driving, would torque boxes make a noticeable difference in ride/handling? What is the theory behind them- what are they supposed to do?

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Torque boxes- worth it for a stocker?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009 - 08:02:07 PM »
Frame connectors would be a better investment for a regular street driver, and you will notice a difference.  Torque boxes are extra bracing welded into the underside of the floor, primarily for convertibles and Hemis.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009 - 09:26:55 AM by 73Chally »

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009 - 09:10:36 AM »
Yes, torque boxes be a good addition to a regular, driver type car. They tie in the rocker panels to the sub-frames which helps solidify the whole structure. The rocker panels are very large, rigid structures ina mopar. That is why they were added to Hemi cars and convertibles.

Subframe connectors will accomplish a similar thing in a slightly differing way. They tie the sub-frame connectors connectors together and, depending on what type you use, also tie the floor pan in with the sub frames.

As far as which one is better and  provides more support, I don't know. I can tell you either one will firm up the car and allow the suspension to work better as well as eliminating some creaks, groans, and rattles in the car overall.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009 - 09:28:10 AM »
 :iagree: What he said, also.  I went the connector route because they were easier for me to get on.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009 - 11:53:38 AM »
Both connectors & Tq boxes are worthwhile upgrades

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009 - 07:11:06 PM »
I've had the connectors since '86 and I'll be welding in torque boxes this winter - so I've got till April to get it done.  :-\  I figure the stiffer the better. :naughty:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 72rallye

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009 - 08:14:05 PM »
 :ylsuper: :ylsuper: I installed both and found it really stiffened the whole car for the better.Handles and drives nicer, feels more positive.Installed weld in sub-frame connectors from mancini racing.Made my own torque boxes.Also a driver.Would do it again in a heart beat. :grinyes:
72 challenger rallye