Author Topic: Leaf Spring Shock Mounting Plates with Studs and bump stops  (Read 918 times)

Offline SBDave

Leaf Spring Shock Mounting Plates with Studs and bump stops
« on: December 30, 2009 - 07:53:36 PM »
I'm rebuilding my rear suspension with the XV Level 1 kit.  The threads on the shock mount studs are really screwed up from rust.  Has anyone tried replacing this stud?  Mancini Racing sells a stud that I am considering however it looks like this could be more of a hassle than it's worth.  I have access to hydraulic presses, torches, sawsalls and all kinds of tools.  Any recommendations?

FYI, I will also be ordering new U Bolts and a new front leaf spring hangers (mine are very rusted and a stud broke) and so I'm looking at buying the Mancini Racing stock length with the extra hole for 1" lowering.

Where can I buy replacement bump stops for the rear suspension? 

thanks,
-Dave

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline SBDave

Re: Leaf Spring Shock Mounting Plates with Studs and bump stops
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009 - 12:38:42 PM »
....WHAT?!!!  $86 for two rubber bump stops?!  That is ridiculous.  I'll figure something else out.

-Dave

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009 - 01:21:58 PM »
I agree.  The rubbers were good on mine so I sand blasted the metal parts, filled them and repainted them.

1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline SBDave

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009 - 01:58:32 PM »
Unfortunately one of the axle bump stops is completely missing on my car.  I'm thinking I might be able to modify a lower control arm bump stop to work as an axle bump stop.  It doesn't look like there are any marks on my axle where the rubber should touch so I wonder if the suspension ever compressed that much.

I just called Mancini Racing and they said the stud they sell is a replacement for their stud/plate and not a stock replacement.  He said the hole is 5/8" though, so I will try and machine my lower plate and see if I can get it to work.

-Dave

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009 - 04:34:06 PM »
Look through the for sale section? These plates fit virtually every mopar from the era and are easy to come by. Just replace the whole thing.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009 - 06:54:36 PM »
I replaced my shock stud no big deal really. I just sawed off the stub and drilled a hole, a few minutes with a disc grinder to make a flat surface to bolt on the new stud. Got mine from springs and things ,espo
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0