Author Topic: GRRRRRRRRRR! Freaking front valance  (Read 7603 times)

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: GRRRRRRRRRR! Freaking front valance
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010 - 10:01:55 AM »
Thanks for the link!   They have the 'textured argent in a can".....is that what I want?

Question though -- my grill is already textured with blck flat on it.....will this end up being TOO MUCH textyre if i use this stuff on it?  For my lower grill i am sure it will be great!

Think one can will do upper and lower grill pieces?

Yes, the textured argent is what you want. They have both "light" and "dark" argent. The light argent is for 70 wheel centers. The dark argent is what I used for the 71 grille, tail pannel and wheel centers. The texture is not that heavy, the Krylon has more of a texture. I went right over the factory paint with this stuff and it turned out great. I just washed and rinsed my grille real good first.

You might want to get 2 cans to be sure, one can will be pushing it.

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010 - 10:11:01 AM »
I think the shop that did my grill used some sort of texturing paint...mayeb to hide some flaws....Guess I will try painting right over it.....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010 - 01:42:35 PM »
Well, I finally painted the front valance.....I used an entire can of paint (NAPA spray bomb made of the real paint) and a full can of clear.    I think it was like 4 coats of color and 4 or 5 coats of clear front and back.

The surface isnt as smooth as I would have liked to see so I guess I have some wet sanding to do.

I wont say its "orange peel", but its kind of like that.....This is where I get REALLY nervous....LOL...Mentally Challenged posted some great advice and video links in my PM so I will be studying those.....

I am trying to decide whether to go with the "textured argent in a can" or go cheaper and use the Fusion.....really, the pics of the grill done in the Fusion look pretty good.

I figure it'll be $60 for two cans of the "right" stuff versus $15 for two cans of the fusion....I am spraying over a textured black finish and am afraid of what it will look like...hate to waste the espensive stuff...plus, that Fusion looked pretty nice to me online at least....  :clueless:

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010 - 08:55:27 PM »
I am trying to decide whether to go with the "textured argent in a can" or go cheaper and use the Fusion.....really, the pics of the grill done in the Fusion look pretty good.

I figure it'll be $60 for two cans of the "right" stuff versus $15 for two cans of the fusion....
Just because the factory did it a certain way doesn't mean you have to stick to the same colour. Go with whatever you like the looks of best.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010 - 05:28:01 AM »
I looked in 3 different stores yesterday...only onecarried kryon fusion, and they didnt have the color.......

:stomp:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010 - 12:14:58 PM »
This thread got me in the mood so I went down to Ace and bought a couple more cans. Still had to  look for it a while in the store before I found it.  Also bought the Black fusion to so I can try it on something. (Maybe on my IROC grille as an experiment) 

I only used most of one can on the grille BTW. The rest of that can went to laying down the starter coat on the lower grille.

Then I held the second can about three feet away and lightly sprayed an extra dry final coat. That came out with extra sparkle.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 - 01:04:21 PM by 360 »

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010 - 07:17:46 AM »
Just because the factory did it a certain way doesn't mean you have to stick to the same colour. Go with whatever you like the looks of best.

I know....I am just the type who will wonder if I should have gone the other way...LOL

But man , 360s look really good in the picture....wish I could see it in person compared to the "right" color.....

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010 - 02:59:48 PM »
lookn good!
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010 - 10:07:05 PM »
Hey 360

I sprayed my lower insert with the same stuff today....looks great I think!  No pics yet....but much nicer than the grey it comes in.  :)

I also wetsanded and buffed out my valance.  All I can say is I am glad its down low.

Its not awefull, but made a couple mistakes newbies make....I found one small high spot with the wetsanding...it is way at the back, underneath...so it wont be seen easily luckily.

I didnt get rid of all the orange peel...I was afraid to go too far.... but it turned out OK.   Looks OK.  Probably make you real paint guys cringe.... LOL

But like I said, its down so low no one really sees it anyways.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010 - 01:20:26 PM by shadango »

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010 - 12:42:26 PM »
Yep

Wet sanding is definitely a skill learned with practice.   Sounds good, I can't wait for the pics....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010 - 10:09:12 PM »
Well, I mounted up the lower grill insert today....

Not great pics....but.....I think it turned out pretty decent.  I really like the Fusion color!   :2thumbs:

And the "new" valance looks right and I am now pretty happy about that.

Still need to replace the front bumper and paint the grill, but that will come later.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010 - 10:11:08 PM by shadango »

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010 - 10:25:58 PM »
Lookin' Good!  :2thumbs:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010 - 11:06:56 AM »
Sweet!
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010 - 11:25:44 AM »
Now that the lower gril is painted I am wondering how hard it will eb to pull the main grill...or am I better off leaving it on the car to spray?

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010 - 12:16:30 PM »
Sweet!

Yes!! about 1000% better then before!!

You should pull the grille before painting but very carefully. Lower grille and then the bumper go first.  Then the bolts below the headlights while someone holds the grill up go around and remove the little screws.  Don't let it hang by any one or two screws or bolts because that piece may just break off and let it crash to the floor.