Author Topic: Your Choice of Spray Guns and why  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Your Choice of Spray Guns and why
« on: January 01, 2010 - 07:35:50 PM »
Base your reasons why you liked any particular make and models:

Price
Ease of use
Features
Spraying pattern
Reliability

There are probably many I didn't include. But this is a fairly large list that covers the most popular makes.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline farmboy70

Re: Your Choice of Spray Guns and why
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010 - 08:00:04 PM »
Tuff call right now as water borne comes in to effect Jan 2012 in the north east states. I use Delvibliss currently, best for waterborne I don't know yet.
One thing I would steer away from Sata, they spray very good but the needle seat is part of the handle and the threads let go in about a year.
Easy to use and clean
Wide variety of tips
average cost (for a quality gun)

Dave

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010 - 08:14:29 PM »
I'll add any makes if someone mentions one I overlooked.

I see alot of expensive spray guns out there.
I really believe some are over priced and you pay for the name. Then there are others that are way overlooked and are well priced and do a great job. Some are junk best to be avoided. Even hearing about guns that died an early life or went on forever stories are good to hear about.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010 - 08:37:08 PM »
I use a De Vilbliss HVLP.  It works great for the limited painting I do.  I have had it for ten years with no problems. 

I too, am not sure how it will work with water based paints, but I am going to give it a try when I paint my trunk.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010 - 08:44:59 PM »
I use a De Vilbliss HVLP.  It works great for the limited painting I do.  I have had it for ten years with no problems. 

I too, am not sure how it will work with water based paints, but I am going to give it a try when I paint my trunk.

The Devillbis finishline kit for $199 on E Bay is one of them on my list I considered buying. It comes with 3 tips with different mm. to interchange based on paint type/use.

The paint guy at my local paint store told me that the Iwata's have a really wide fan spray pattern making it ideal for clear coats.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010 - 08:47:59 PM »
I think the Iwata has plastic cup and stainless parts so it would be a good choice for waterborne paint.
Dave

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010 - 09:13:59 PM »
Husky.

I got 1 full size and a detail gun for $40 on sale a few years ago.  :bigsmile: Works fine.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010 - 10:06:06 PM »
   I got the Devilblis finnisline 3 to use as a primer gun. I got 3 different tip sizes for it,  1.3,1.8,2.2 and it worked great. I did not want  to spend a lot of money on a gun due to the limited amount of painting I would do and I did'nt want a harbor freight special either.  I used this do do the jambs myself with the PPG bc/cc I used and they turned out nice.  I read that the Devilblis 670 plus gun is a great gun for bc/cc and is not that expensive---a good gun for the price.  The guy that painted my car had just bought the top of the line iwata----the cadillac of guns as he put it but I'm sure he spent some big bucks for it also.  One thing I like with the devilbliss is their Dkups system of desposable cup liners.  One other thing is that replacement parts are easy to get and pretty reasonable. 

Offline 74ralley

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010 - 10:12:23 PM »
I have the devilblis not sure of the model, got it on clearance at sears(IM CHEAP :smilielol:) works great spraying primer.
The Only Easy Day, Was Yesterday.

Pennsylvania

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010 - 10:28:57 PM »
My main gun is a DeVibiss HVLP.  I've had it about 6-7 years and it has been trouble free.  I've used it to spray a wide range of paints and it always looks good.  Heck, I've even brainfarted and forgot to clean the clear out of it once or twice.  Took a little buit of time, but once I got it cleaned out it still worked great. I've actually been thinking about buying another one just in case I do that again  :roflsmiley:

I also have a cheap swap meet type of HLVP gun with a 2.2 tip for primers. 

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:22:07 AM »
I love my Walcom GEO FX 97,not on your list,one of the best guns made
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:25:06 AM »
I love my Walcom GEO FX 97,not on your list,one of the best guns made

On the list now
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:41:50 AM »
Not to highjack but has anyone ever used a turbine gun system? It is self contained air supply with heated air,  produces no oil,water or contaminates.I used one 10 years ago and the guns were not great, but paint transfer was nearly 95 %. This is not an airless, TIP tools sold them and some other companys. Would be great for primers.
The guns probably have improved since then.
Dave

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010 - 07:16:33 AM »
I still use my old(antique?  :-\ )Devilbiss JGA siphon feed but only b/c I`ve been too cheap to upgrade and it still works fine for the occasional paint jobs I do at home.I also thought of buying the Finishline kit as it seems like a good deal for everything you get and again probably fine for us hobbyist types.I did try the turbine system when I was still working full time at a body shop,this was around `89 or so before we ever heard of HVLP.The system worked well and there was way less overspray similar to an HVLP gun but it cost $2-2500 if I remember correctly,too much for a hobbyist but a lot of paint $ savings for a busy shop.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010 - 07:24:26 AM »
I've got the Divilbiss StartingLine 2-gun set. Overall, it does a nice job, but if you get one, dissemble and clean it well BEFORE using it. I found metal chips inside from the machining process. This is what you get from a Taiwanese product, eh?

I like the "extras"...nice carrying case, metal cups, 2 tip sizes for the big gun, regulator.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...