Author Topic: Water borne paint  (Read 5100 times)

Offline farmboy70

Water borne paint
« on: January 01, 2010 - 08:52:40 PM »
My state is one of the north east group that is going manditory use of water borne paints soon. I was wondering what experiance others have had with it for muscle cars useage.
It is my understanding the PPG has no formulas for anything earlier than 1985.
What are some of our western members using for guns and paint suppliers?
Any feed back would be helpfull.
Dave

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Water borne paint
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010 - 09:08:43 PM »
I might be wrong on this, but I believe Standox is one of the leaders of water born paints. Definitely one of the best paints. The guy that shot my car was from a Standox shop and used a SATA hvlp gun. Standox is a U.S. sister company to Spies Hecker. Sorry if a misspelled that.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010 - 09:15:41 PM »
Did you go with the stock color for the car?
It's my understanding that the technology will make the hobbiest paint job almost impossible because of air flow needs and dryers to cure the coats.
I know they are reformulating Omni ,PPG's lower quality line but I have found color match is not even close on most muscle car era codes.
Dave

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010 - 09:21:24 PM »
I too want to know more on the advantages or dis advatages going to water bourne paints.

I was at the auto paint store earlier this fall and the paint consultant at Hayward mentioned that there is work going on in making a single stage water bourne paint from PPG. That's just a wait and see for now.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010 - 09:31:18 PM »
I have a small advantage in my area in that any shop open before 2007 has until 2012 to change, if after that they need to be in compliance by 1 12 2010.
From my paint rep the key is air flow booth, and hand fan dryers. Also the air supply needs to be very clean and dry.
I think this is going to be a major problem for the guy who wants to paint his own car at home. But maybe something will change on that end. I know my paint supplier won't stock the current product much longer so they are changing everyone ASAP.
I'm going to miss the primers and sealer we use today and can only hope the new stuff is as good.
One thing concerns me is the products are more designed for the colision industry enviroment not restoration type bussiness this may not work as well for the muscle cars as the product we use today.
Dave

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010 - 10:43:04 PM »
Did you go with the stock color for the car?
It's my understanding that the technology will make the hobbiest paint job almost impossible because of air flow needs and dryers to cure the coats.
I know they are reformulating Omni ,PPG's lower quality line but I have found color match is not even close on most muscle car era codes.
Dave
I wasn't considering stock colors. I let the painter decide on a mix. It was a white with some blue mixed in to give it a cool hue. It came out nice. I wish I was still in touch to speak with but we lost touch years ago. I learned a bunch from working with him on the car.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:03:15 AM »
How long until the western states have to comply with the new regulations?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:13:55 AM »
 stupid tree-huggers . this whole waterborne mess is retarded,but there are plenty of paint companies who will still be making solvent based paint and clear
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:27:46 AM »
It's my understanding it is a federal law that will be phased in over time for all states.
When I get back to the shop I'll post the name of the law.
Dave

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:30:50 AM »
stupid tree-huggers . this whole waterborne mess is retarded,but there are plenty of paint companies who will still be making solvent based paint and clear
Probably true, it may be a mess trying to work new tech over old though. Color match, adhesion, etc. Unfortunatly they won't be sold in PA for sure. Possibly all states unless it meets the VOC standards.
Dave

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:58:58 AM »

Portions of CA already is.

My state is one of the north east group that is going manditory use of water borne paints soon. I was wondering what experiance others have had with it for muscle cars useage.
It is my understanding the PPG has no formulas for anything earlier than 1985.
What are some of our western members using for guns and paint suppliers?
Any feed back would be helpfull.
Dave

I'll start investigating soon since our state is WB paint ready now then reply what I find out.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010 - 01:52:39 AM »
I believe it went into effect in all of CA today (beginning of the year!) actually, although the date has gone back and forth some due to supply and converting existing operations. I'm pretty sure its been delayed before, not sure if it has been again or not though. I haven't had the pleasure of using it myself yet, but its been used for years now by the car manufacturers, and even longer than that by airlines. I have talked to a few folks that have used it as well as some knowledgeable paint store employees, and its really just a matter of getting used to a new system. Pressures required are different, as is the thickness of the application, the number of coats and drying time. Drying is a little more sensitive to temperature since no active hardener is used, but its not impossible to overcome even for the amateur painting at home. Paint guns with stainless internals are obviously better if you're going to be using it a ton, but older paint guns will work just fine if you flush them with acetone afterward to get rid of the water based stuff so the internals don't corrode or rust.

This is just plain ignorant. There was a huge resistance against the removal of LEAD from paint too. Seems like a no-brainer now don't you think? This isn't something new, paint has been evolving since Henry Ford. There's a reason all the earliest Fords were black, its because nothing else stuck to the car and lasted  :D. Lacquer, acrylic enamel, candies and pearls, enamel without lead, clear coat systems, water based paints, its a long list. All have had their advantages and disadvantages, if you've ever sprayed lacquer you know its an incredibly different process than enamel. And I imagine if you've ever sucked up a lungful of lacquer or acrylic enamel you know that it can't possibly be good for you.  :puke:

Yes, the water based paints will take some time to get used to, and there may even be some color/shade matching issues for a little bit. I'm sure it'll lead to some botched up paint jobs, I'll probably be guilty of a few myself since I have a few to take care of in the near future. But it'll catch up, just like any technology. The paint manufacturers want to sell us paint, they'll figure out a way to get it done.  Adapt and overcome.  :thumbsup:

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010 - 07:26:09 AM »
Heres one ?
I heard to create one gal. of waterborne paint=3 times the chemicals that needs to be disposed of.
So if thats the case,where is that going? 

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010 - 08:08:28 AM »
 :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010 - 09:39:19 AM »
Yeah,I've been hearing about this stuff. Havn't sprayed it yet.Not looking forward to it.Probably take years to get it right.  And figured it was coming. But I won't use it unless I'm forced to.And even then I'll go kicking and screaming. I agree with ExV. There will always be solvent based products. And I'll probably be dead before I spray watercolor. But that's just me. I'm ignorant.      IF they get it to work good. And last. I'm all for it. Make it cheaper. Make it better. Then I will listen. 
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"