Author Topic: Help with my first 340 build up  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Fast Cuda

Help with my first 340 build up
« on: January 06, 2010 - 06:41:17 PM »
I bought my first mopar, a '72 barracuda with a 340. It is not an original engine and from what I can tell the casting says ....... 340-5. so that is '75??? Anyhow I am going to do some mods and need some sound advice before I drop some $. I called indy heads and they had a decent price on some ported eddys or some iron LAX with a little more compression for about 1/3 less. I plan on putting some tti headers on and x pipe with maybe some dynomax two chambers. I'll get one of the heads mentioned above and would like a hydraulic roller dual pattern Voodoo from Lunati and some roller rockers as well. The car will be a weekender and in-town driver. I plan on driving it a fair amount with some highway. It is an auto with a shift kit. It is kinda frumpy right now... would like to be able to roast the tires without touching the brake  :burnout:

Question...CP if your listening  :worshippy

If you take 308 heads out...would you reccomend ported eddys or the LAX with high compression?

I will probably put some 3.55 maybe 3.91 gears in on 16'' wheels..which gear and hydraulic roller Voodoo cam do you like?

It doesn't have power steering so bigger cam is good..will the stock converter be ok?

Thanks all for any input..I am pretty excited!

Offline Fast Cuda

Re: Help with my first 340 build up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010 - 08:38:30 PM »
It has a holley 6 barrel as well....

Offline Fast Cuda

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010 - 09:19:27 PM »
come on fellas somebody has to have some opinion....... :1zhelp:

Offline don340-4

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010 - 10:14:12 PM »
I rebuilt my 70 340 about 5 yrs ago, 0.30 over w/hyperutectic pistons, Mopar performance original profile cam i believe they call it the restoration cam, Eddie heads right out of the box for a 10.5 to 1 cr, Mopar performance electronic chrome box. Engine runs very strong with a ausome sounding exhaust note. I run pump 91 octane which is all we can get in Caly no pinging at all, one problem i had with the eddies was where the alternator sits in a pocket on the factory heads there is no pocket on the eddies, you will have to do some tweeking with the brackets & get different length belts. The purple shaft is the biggest cam i would want in a street driven car w/a/c & power brakes. Im running a stock Carter AVS. Hope this gives you some insight.       
Don
1970 Challenger R/T SE
1970 Challenger Western Sport Special
1969 Plymouth Road Runner
2012 Ram 1500 R/T

Offline don340-4

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010 - 10:17:40 PM »
as for your engine i don't think they made a 340 in 75.
Don
1970 Challenger R/T SE
1970 Challenger Western Sport Special
1969 Plymouth Road Runner
2012 Ram 1500 R/T

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010 - 10:43:43 PM »
the -5 is not 75 , it is the 5th time the casting mold has been corrected , you engine could very well be original , there is the serial # stamped along the oil pan rail on the right side of the engine
 I have not been impressed with the quality of the Eddy heads , the have bad core shift issues or at least the ones shipped into Canaduh
 I would talk with Lunati about your needs for the roller cams , the roller cams make a lot more vacuum for the power they will make

Welcome BTW  :wave:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010 - 09:05:51 AM »

It doesn't have power steering so bigger cam is good..will the stock converter be ok?

Big Cams & steering are not the issue, POWER Brakes are as they rely on engine vacuum.
  As For the converter you WANT a much higher stall speed than stock to get into the engines torque sweet spot before all the load is put on it.  Where that RPM is depends on your final combo.     These folks will calculate it for you & make a good converter for the dallah
   http://www.accperformance.com/Order/acc_techline.html
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Fast Cuda

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010 - 03:14:20 PM »
Thanks for the input. Yes, it has power steering, no power brakes. Would anyone reccomend the computer software for figuring out combo's? I think it is like 100 bucks...would be a lot cheaper than buying the wrong parts...