Author Topic: Heater issues  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Heater issues
« on: January 07, 2010 - 02:00:46 AM »
So the thermometer went out. The car was overheating, and the heater was pumping out copius amounts of heat.  On top of that the fan control switch is stuck.  The previous owner solved the issue by disconnecting the blower motor and heater core. 

I plan on re connecting the blower motor, and heater core so the heater works. It gets chilly here in San Diego at night in the winter and I'd hate to have to break out the long pants.  ; )

What are the usual suspects for a stuck fan control switch? 

Offline Kapteenikosmos

Re: Heater issues
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010 - 07:13:26 AM »
Are you meaning the electrical blower motor switch? If so, atleast mine was burned up very badly. Seems like the switch is too small for the currents that go through the blower motor.

I did make a new backing plate with new contacts for my switch and also rewired the whole thing so that the actual switch only controls a set of relays which control the current flow to the blower motor. The new backing plate for the switch is made from some plastic and aluminium rivets as new contacts. It's pretty easy to repair with some patience if the problem is there.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010 - 08:50:00 AM »
  My switch was intermittent, bent back the tabs that held the innards in, pulled it apart & cleaned/filed the contacts. Works perfectly now, adding the relays may prevent future failure. 
   Does your temperature cable work the air diverter ? (assuming this is non-A/C)
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010 - 11:32:42 AM »
It's an AC car. The top switch that controls the blower motor is physiclaly stuck.

The other switch works, but it's hard to move.  It needs some lubrication or other work.

Offline swede-cuda

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010 - 02:45:31 PM »
 :wave:hm,if the blower motor and heater core are disconnected there should not come any heat.??on an ac car you must have a heater control valve connected on the heater hoses under the hood,if previous owner disconnected it then you could strap it in cold-setting with steel wire or the original wire that goes to the varm -cold reglage? if previous owner just put two hoses from engine to heater core,without watervalve? then it will be warm always.so check your watervalve that should be on the heater hoses,with that you control hot-cold,with a wire. :horse: :eek2:

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010 - 09:12:26 PM »
The switch was so fried in the Cuda it literally fell apart in my hands. I didn't want to look for another so I just wired in a toggle, stuffed the switch housing back in and called it good