Author Topic: How soon til wax?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
How soon til wax?
« on: January 07, 2010 - 12:23:31 PM »
So I redid my trunk in body color lime-green.....have everything back together and was about to put in the trunk mat and spare but then thought I want to put a coat or two of wax on it first to keep it nice and help protect the paint.

The question is, how soon after painting can you put carnuba wax on without hurting the paint?

Its standard car paint mixed for me into spray bombs and then enamel clear coat from spray bombs.

Its been a few weeks since I sprayed it...the garage is cold most of the time, but I left it heated for a few days after painting (at about 60-65 degrees).

Thoughts?

wagesofsin

Re: How soon til wax?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010 - 12:38:13 PM »
it all depends on the materials used. we wax the next day , and have never had a problem. some guys like a week , some a month.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010 - 01:23:22 PM »
Ok, thanks.

Its been a few weeks like I said.

I know its just the trunk, but I figured a coat or two of wax will help preserve it some from the mat rubbing, etc.

wagesofsin

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010 - 01:38:20 PM »
yep.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010 - 03:50:42 PM »
Not sure of the answer but another consideration is how long after to put in the mat and tire.  The paint might still be soft and laying in the mat with the tire on top could make the mat stick to the paint over time.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010 - 09:17:11 AM »
I`ve always waited as least a month as the paint solvents are still evaporating out then and even a lot longer.You can use a polish instead which will still "breath" but give some protection.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010 - 12:10:32 AM »
its the trunk just wait . you must really love your car!! :2thumbs:
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010 - 06:35:37 AM »
Well, my theory is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of saying "I wish I had"...LOL

I put a lot of work into it, not to mention the cash involved...and want to preserve it.  :2thumbs:

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010 - 02:07:12 PM »
It's recommended by most paint makers to wait around 90 days to allow solvents to escape, wax seals off all pores in surface preventing solvents to evaporate,

Having said that ,I've waxed next day for years without issues,but in your case, I'd wait unless you don't mind mat and tire sticking and ruining the paint 
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010 - 03:30:59 PM »
its cool that you take soo much pride in your car , i am happy for you. :bigsmile:
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010 - 04:25:08 PM »
Well, waiting wont be an issue now....

Aside from the weather sucking eggs, I have the whole front end apart (changing to disk brakes and swapping out the steering box and redoing all the bushings etc)...so it'll be  while now anyways.

I'll just wait for a while to wax.  Thanks for the advice.   :2thumbs:

wagesofsin

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010 - 05:54:22 PM »
Well, waiting wont be an issue now....

Aside from the weather sucking eggs, I have the whole front end apart (changing to disk brakes and swapping out the steering box and redoing all the bushings etc)...so it'll be  while now anyways.

I'll just wait for a while to wax.  Thanks for the advice.   :2thumbs:

go ahead and wax,  but yea, id wait a bit to actually "junk the trunk."

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010 - 08:50:00 PM »
Its standard car paint mixed for me into spray bombs and then enamel clear coat from spray bombs.
Where did you get your spray bomb paint from?  Were you happy with the color match?  Did the clear coat have to match existing clear coat, and if so did it match? Any other issues?  Thanks.
Phil

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010 - 12:29:02 AM »
Got the bombs made at Napa, Martin Seynour paint, which is what the original paint was when the car was painted and I used the Duplicolor clear coat for enamel, per the paint guy's recommendation.

Crossing my fingers on the long term outcome, but so far looks good to me.

Match wise it looks fine.....the new stuff may be a slight more "green"....hard to tell...with my paint color you change the angle and it looks different...

I have pictures here which will show that....

Offline brianz426

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010 - 01:50:58 PM »
How did they match your color? Did you have paint left over, or the paint code? I'd like to respray the trunk in my GTX which is a light metallic green and I'm wondering if I can do a decent job with a spray can. I've had excellent results in the past with a solid color but I've never tried a metallic before.
Thanks