Author Topic: what to do for fenders  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Canadian Cuda

what to do for fenders
« on: January 08, 2010 - 05:05:29 AM »
i looking to get your guys' opinion on my fender situation. I currently have my original oem fenders which need a ton of work( see pics) but fit preety darn good and i've got a set of fiberglass ones which are ok  but the bottom body line is off and the headlights or hood pin brackets dont fit.
i'm trying to decide what to do. i was talking with dave at roseville about ordering new ones and he gave me a good price but i'm only 17 and now i've been laid off so i won't be able to afford them. money is definatly an obstacle, and my timeline is to have it painted and driveable by mid summer. i will eventually buy repro's but here's my options.

-use the fiberglass ones, try and make them work, buy repro later 
-take oem ones and do them quick and easy (bondo, por-15) $, buy repro later
-take the oem ones into a shop and have them fix them properly $$
- wait and buy new repro's $$$
Thanks alot guys :bigsmile:

originals need roughly 10 patches 4"x4" and smaller, and alot of hammer and dolly work

Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: what to do for fenders
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010 - 07:08:33 AM »
Take your time and fix the originals yourself.  Save up some money to have the surface blasted after you finish the rustrepairs.  I`m sure you can do it  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010 - 07:16:31 AM »
If money is tight, work with what you have for now.  You can make those look good, and enjoy driving it sooner.  A 17 yr old teenager needs to cruise :ylsuper:  You want a refund to help?

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010 - 08:31:05 AM »
Thats one of those "pick your poison" deals.

If money is the issue, thats a deciding factor IF you want to be cruising this summer......you probably have tons left to do on thecar and money will be needed elsewhere for sure.

Media blasting the old fenders will cost you something unless you have the blasting equipment....and repairing them will take patience....which I have none...LOL.....

I it were me, and getting her running by the summer was key, I would get her mechanically sound....drivetrain, etc....fenders are easy enough to replace later. If the fiberglass fenders can be tweaked enough and easily enough to fit headlights, and look ok, use those for now and work on the originals on the side after the rest of the car is together.

I would prime and seal maybe and not paint...that way you can drive her around until you can swing the fender work or replacement and then paint the whole car at once.

Of course, doing it this way means extra work later....repriming if needed.

Dunno.....thats a tough scenario.....may just be better to somehow find the cash now to have the fenders blasted and patched and you do the finish work? How good at metalwork are you and do you want to learn on this car or prefer to save thetime and let someone else do that?  :dunno:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010 - 09:15:07 AM »
Paying a shop to fix your fenders will probably cost almost as much as new ones.Either try and learn to fix them yourself(you`ll need a welder to do it right or just patch them and bondo for a temp repair) or get the fiberglass ones to work.Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with once you know how to work with it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010 - 09:50:29 AM »
I'd fix your originals...dolly and hammer/slide hammer...your time is "free".  The rest of the metal work I've seen you do has looked fantastic, so this should be a good skill builder for you.  Check out some of the "rust removal" threads here and Google them elsewhere to get you down to bare metal.

How much material is in the fiberglass ones?  Is there enough to shape the body line correctly, or will you end up going through?  How would you fix the headlight bucket area if you used the 'glass ones?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010 - 10:39:09 AM »
Paying a shop to fix your fenders will probably cost almost as much as new ones. And they will be new inside and out. :2cents:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010 - 10:50:54 AM »
If you have access to a mig welder fix the originals yourself! What have you got to loose? If nothing else the experience will do ya good! They are next to worthless now so really ya can't screw them up any worse! And if your not happy with the results buy new repops when you can! For me I really enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself....?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Cuda1971

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010 - 12:36:05 PM »
 :iagree:.If you have a welder try fixing it yourself.
If you need to practice to weld really thin sheetmetal:try it on a old or new Ford fender. :grinyes:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010 - 01:10:11 PM »
I have a pair for sale that are better than what you have if you are interested from my 1970 Barracuda.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010 - 01:21:18 PM »
I have a pair for sale that are better than what you have if you are interested from my 1970 Barracuda.

c`mon gordon... he`s 17 with no funds... thats what this topic is about.... $450 + shipping.....  ::)
`however... I`m sure you would score big time if you donate them for the good cause....  :popcorn:
*** Bart ***

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010 - 02:12:32 PM »
I understand for sure.  Sometimes I think I was better off when I was 17 getting parts.  that would have been 1973 and more cars around then for sure.  Just hope I get to where I can donate parts to needy guys if I was not trying to finish getting my floor for my garage I might be more open to giving things away. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010 - 03:37:37 PM »
If you learn to fix them on your own, you could start fixing all your buddies parts and make enough money to buy the new ones down the road. :bigsmile:

I put new ones on mine though, because my fenders were much much worse than yours.

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010 - 03:51:51 PM »
If money is tight, work with what you have for now.  You can make those look good, and enjoy driving it sooner.  A 17 yr old teenager needs to cruise :ylsuper:  You want a refund to help?

al i couldn't ask for that, you gave me a good deal already.

How much material is in the fiberglass ones?  Is there enough to shape the body line correctly, or will you end up going through?  How would you fix the headlight bucket area if you used the 'glass ones?

they have lots of material to them but i don't know if i would be able to work the body line that much without bondo. i could get the headlights in with some regular screws but i dont know how good it would be.

the main thing holding me back from doing them myself is i'm still saving up for the welder to do my cowl patches and was seeing if i could send these off to a shop that could work on them in the mean time.

here's the fiberglass fenders. driver side is pretty good other then bottom bodyline being slightly high, then pass side has no middle bodyline at all, then there's the question of side markers. the picture make it look better than it is.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010 - 04:01:19 PM by Canadian Cuda »
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010 - 04:53:24 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the fiberglass ones, in fact, you should try selling them to get some money.  As for the original vs buying new, I'll go with the majority and say to try and fix up your originals.  Whatever you do, though, just get it right the first time, as opposed to doing a stop-gap now only to redo them later.  If it means missing another season of cruising, then so be it, but your best bet is to get them done right the first time.