Wheel Well Gaps, Tire to Inner Fender

Author Topic: Wheel Well Gaps, Tire to Inner Fender  (Read 6748 times)

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Wheel Well Gaps, Tire to Inner Fender
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010 - 08:32:27 PM »
Something is off somewhere. Some variation is natural, but these seems like a lot for a front end. I find it hard to believe that a fender would stick out/in an additional half inch without having some sort of visible alignment issue. There are enough body lines and panel gaps to make it obvious if they are not straight.

So the control arms are the same length. Pull tape from the frame rails to the inner sidewall, see if they are consistent. Maybe check backspace on the two wheels to see if they are the same. Not sure if a mismatch of brake rotors would case a spacing issue, but I would check that out as well

Offline moparstuff

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010 - 01:42:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will take as many measurments as I can. So I guess this not a comomon issue and would have not been cause at the assemble factory?

Just incase nothing turns up with my measurments I have a friend with a frame machine so I guess I'll pay him a vist. I'll keep you posted.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010 - 03:51:46 PM »
1/2" isn't really that much for 1970 standards.  I think I have at least 1/2" difference in my rear tire to outer fenders. I never really stopped to measure because it hasn't rubbed for years.

My left front used to rub while turning, going into driveway curbs, when I ran a 7" wheel with a 3-5/16" backspacing. Right side never touched the fender. Could be the same as yours where there was more room on one side.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010 - 04:56:09 PM »
Yep, I have a 1/4" difference in my rear tires to fender lip.
How many have trimmed their front fenders? Mine are and you cant notice it unless you look for it. I guess the purists abhor it, but I dont care. It allows for much fatter rubber with a simple mod, but it does look a little crude, but like I said hardly noticeable.
I'm not gonna be entering any concours competitions :bigsmile:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010 - 05:04:44 PM »
Ive heard of a 1x3 trim (triangle). Mine looks more like a 2x4
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010 - 04:11:16 PM by tommyg29 »
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010 - 01:37:34 AM »
Yep, I have a 1/4" difference in my rear tires to fender lip.
How many have trimmed their front fenders? Mine are and you cant notice it unless you look for it. I guess the purists abhor it, but I dont care. It allows for much fatter rubber with a simple mod, but it does look a little crude, but like I said hardly noticeable.
I'm not gonna be entering any concours competitions :bigsmile:

Yes I have....

I got a set of Minilite copy rims made by Optima at a swap meet a couple years ago for my 68 Barracuda. They are 15x9 with 4 1/8” backspace, -0.9” offset. I wanted to run them with my 245/50/15 tires that were previously on my 15x8 rallyes with 4.5 backspacing, and 0.0” offset. Obviously this was going to put the tire out closer to the fenders and I was close right now.

So I lipped the front fenders. I did this because in the future I will be running 275/40/17 on 17x9 rims as funds allow. I knew from others experience I had to move the front lower edge of the fender back. I installed a spare 245/50/15 on the new rims to mock them up.

The idea is to have the rod supporting the inside to fold against and get a contour. I had hand dolly also supporting the rod. And the key was small hammer blows and having patience. It ended up being pretty much a straight line because I didn’t put a couple relief cuts in it. Oh well, I feel I could reverse this if I had to.

I think I could have got away with about ¾” less this much cut back.

E-body's should have more room than my 68 Baracuda. But as the front tires get wider the E-bodies also will hit at the front lower fender lip.

Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010 - 03:52:17 PM »
Just mounted my new fronts this afternoon. I'm posting pics in the wheels/tires thread. Plenty of inner and outer fender clearance with my setup. I have about 2" clearance as I turn the wheel from the front lip, and I think they would even clear a stock fender setup without the trim. At least it would be close.