Author Topic: Help putting a fender tag together?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Challenga

• All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy......
Help putting a fender tag together?
« on: January 10, 2010 - 05:06:31 PM »
I bought a 70 Challenger a few months ago but it doesn't have a fender tag or broadcast sheet.  I looked in all the places, under the back seats (top and bottom), behind the plastic cover on the front seats, behind the glovebox, and under the carpet.  I found thousands of dead hornets and trash but nothing else.  I don't have any fancy options or anything, but I don't have a clue how it is put together.  There is a guy here in Colorado that will stamp a fender tag for you, but you have to tell him what you want on it.  I assume there is some kind of order that the numbers go in.  I was hoping that someone could help me.  I know this is something that people don't talk about, but I am not trying to pull anything over on anyone, so I would appreciate any help or tips. My car is as follows:

VIN: JH23HOE1223XX
Color: Go Mango
Automatic w/console
Bumble Bee stripes in the back
Non-Rally dash
No A/C
Black interior
One manual chrome mirror
No power locks
No power windows
8 3/4 rear end
No vinyl top
Power steering

Here are a couple of pics

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010 - 05:14:53 PM by Challenga »
1970 - Challenger A66 - Go-man-go!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Help putting a fender tag together?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010 - 05:18:59 PM »
Is there a reason why you want a fender tag?  It's not neccessary. California built cars rarely came with a build sheet. You can actually have anything made on your tag since it is going to be a fake tag. some people have a tag created with some good humor on them or even just the vin and asking have you seen my tag?

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010 - 05:28:58 PM »
Fender tags are a lot more than just options.  They include the build date and order number.  You would need someone like Barry or ? (I would rather not say his name) to even get close to a real tag.  And even then, it's no guarantee that it would be correct.

If I was buying a car that was restored and had to choose, I would rather buy a car with a great photo documentation and no fender tag than one with a fake fender tag (incorrect info).  :2cents:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Challenga

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010 - 05:31:29 PM »
That's funny as heck. I didn't even think about that.  They only real reason I want a fender tag is that I am a major details guy.  I'll probably never ever sell the car.  It's just something I do.  Car OCD basically!!

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010 - 05:32:13 PM »
If you supply the whole VIN, I can check my files to see if I have a photo or record of what your original tag said.

if there is no record of it, or a broadcast sheet to go on, then consider a tag like this;

+                                +
Reward for original tag for
     JH23HOE1223XX
Your phone number here
Your email here

That way folks will see it & shows & know you are honestly seeking the original vs. having a fake. It may also lead to your original surfacing.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010 - 05:38:39 PM »
  You would need someone like Barry

Just for the record.....

If a record of it exists, I will & can help if I know of it, but I will not make crap up for anyone.

There are cars out there with fake tags that I DO have records for. If the owner lied to me about it, I keep my mouth shut & wait for the car to have a new owner. I hate being lied to & fake tags in general. 

Offline Challenga

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010 - 05:48:37 PM »
I understand that.  That is actually why I was asking for help with this.  I don't want to make a fake one.  I just want to reproduce the one that was supposed to be on there.  That's the reason for the pics.  I was trying to be as honest and transparent as possible to try to get some help.  Like I said I am not trying to fake anything.   :bigsmile:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010 - 06:35:46 PM »
I had a fender tag made thru http://www.datatags.com/  You will have to answer 100 questions or more, but it will get you an accurate fender tag, more or less. I had to guess on my original radio, and if my side mirrors were originally chrome or painted...So that should give you an idea.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010 - 06:39:34 PM »
I understand that.  That is actually why I was asking for help with this.  I don't want to make a fake one.  I just want to reproduce the one that was supposed to be on there. 

OK, so what record to you have of the cars options, vehicle order number & scheduled production date then?

Offline Challenga

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010 - 07:38:05 PM »
The only things I have are the VIN, title, and the car.  The guy I bought it from hadn't driven it in 18 years and he had it since 1975.  He said the only thing he changed was the color.  It was Go Mango and he painted it Hemi Orange.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   :worshippy Sorry I don't have more info.  Is this a losing battle, trying to backtrack?

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010 - 09:16:50 PM »
I think you're going to spend a lot of time, energy and (potentially) money to have something that is most likely meaningless.

Worst case scenario, it de-values the car if you sell it and the buyer finds out that your "best guess" is on the tag.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Challenga

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010 - 09:40:45 PM »
I have lots of time and energy to devote.  I am very determined to do this.  I don't want to do it wrong though, and I can't find info about these things.  I see it as a challenge just like rebuilding a transmission. 

I think someone said it earlier "Are you looking for the journey or the destination?"  I'm looking for the journey.  I like the WORK.  I'm a fixer. :droolingbounce:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010 - 10:21:46 PM »
The short journey would be to ask the folks that may have a record of the original tag or a record of it, like past owners or any registry for your make & model.

No guarantees, but it is one step to get you started.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010 - 12:15:39 AM »
datatags is the way to go. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Challenga

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010 - 11:17:58 AM »
Thanks Alaskan TA.  I'll add to this thread if I make any headway with the dealer or previous owners. :chatting: