Author Topic: "Problem solver" front end parts  (Read 5082 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
"Problem solver" front end parts
« on: January 12, 2010 - 09:42:57 AM »
Never had my car aligned prior to my pulling the front end apart so no idea what the original alignmnet looked like....generally speaking seemed to track ok, mo pulling etc (til I hit the drum brakes..LOL)

Have pretty much decided to go with Moog parts....

I am wondering if it makes any sense to go with the Moog problem solver parts or if those can cause more issues if they arent needed?  IE the upper ball joints & upper control arm bushings....

I dont want to have to tear the car apart again to replace new parts with "problem solvers".....

Thoughts?

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: "Problem solver" front end parts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010 - 10:43:39 AM »
They are cheap enough and provide alignment benefits with no down side, so why not. However, install them the opposite of the instructions. This allows you most positive caster in the alignment process. The additional caster will improve road feel at speed and provide better return to center qualities over the OEM specifications.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010 - 11:41:19 AM »
I would spend a little more too to get the offset upper control arm bushings. I put mine in in 1986 and just changed them 23 later. When you think about it, if you touch it now. you may never touch them again. I nly changed them because the Cams and cam bolts were messed up. The new ones came with a better bolt and cams with 2 flats on them instead of one, to keep from rotating.

I did put the standard bushings in them this time though because Oreillys was able to get me 2 sets in a couple of hours and I had a Power Tour approaching rapidly. Steers fine with the 1 degree of caster and my 235x60 fronts. (power steering)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010 - 11:46:06 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010 - 11:56:30 AM »
Ok, so just to double check --- the "other brands" on Rock auto show them as 'eccentric'...while moog just says "offset"...they are the same, right?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010 - 12:08:41 PM »
The rock auto ones probably just describe the stock style "cams" as eccentrics.   Moog was the only company that sells the offset "problem solver" upper CA bushings. My moog kit came with the bolts, cams, and bushings but bushings were available separate too.

Might as well get the whole kit, but just so you know, the nuts are longer that stock appearing.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010 - 12:25:24 PM »
I am not going for a whole kit anywhere because it seems the kits always include stabilzer bars and links....I dont need those......why pay for stuff I dont need.

Rock lists tww part numbers for Moog upper control arm bushings:

K408 which is the standard ones, and the picture shows 4 pieces

and

K7103 which is listed as "offset", and the picture shows two pieces.  T

The picture appears to look very much the same as the Raybestos/AC Delco "eccentric" units which say they can be adjusted for extra positive camber....

So its an extra $27.  But I figure that the upper control arm bushings would be a real pain to redo if I ended up needed them.

They also list a "problem solver upper balljoint....they are $20 more than the standard....

Standard

Problem sover

I cant tell the difference between the two there.....  :clueless:

Hmm, that will start to add up.  The upper balljoint wouldnt be that big a deal to change out by itself, if I had to, right?

I was thinking of just getting the offset/eccentric moog upper control arm bushings and the standard balljoints and hope it s a good gamble.

What would you guys do?

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010 - 01:18:56 PM »
K408 is a compete upper arm bushings kit. K7103 is only for one arm, so yes, you double your cost on these bushings because you have to buy two of the 7103 to replace one of the 408.

The Delco eccentric bushings are the same principle as the Moog 7103, but they cost a few dollars more. Go Moog.

Can't say I'm familiar with problem solver ball joints, so I don't know what problem they are solving.

I'd go offset upper bushings, standard ball joints.

Offline solarguy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010 - 01:26:44 PM »
The problem solver upper b/j is used when the control arm threads are buggered up, they cut a new thread

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010 - 01:31:18 PM »
Thanks guys.

I guess I worry way more than I should.

I just dont want to do all this work, get it to the alignment shop and have them say "we cant align it"...LOL

I will go with the offset UCA bushings and standard BJ....though  I *may* wait to order until my BJ tool comes so I can be sure that I get the BJs off OK.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010 - 01:32:24 PM »
As it was already stated you need two kits of moog bushings. I ordered accidentally only one and after figuring it out I went with one standard and one offset bushing per control arm. I already had bought a complete front end kit before I decided to go with offset upper control arm bushings.

The Moog bushings I received from Rock Auto were missing those big washers so I banged the ends off from two standard bushings and used those. With the ends I mean those shaped washers found on the Delco kit pic. Those are the same ones that are already pressed in on the standard bushings. Bit PITA to remove but they will come out with some patience.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010 - 01:57:01 PM »
Hopefully the kit I get will have them..... :clueless:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010 - 02:10:48 PM »
When you press in the Upper bushings, make sure you put them in the correct way to give youmore positive caster. Front bushing's hole towards car, rear bushing's hole towards the BJ. You'll see when you get them
Rob

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010 - 02:13:43 PM »
Thanks...will watch for that.

I assume, then, that once they are in, they are in and cannot be easily changed.....

Is pressing them in going to be something I can do with a vise and some sockets or will I need a press or take them to a shop?

Offline moparstuff

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010 - 02:30:34 PM »
Do they sell any problem solver parts for the lower control arms?

My right side lower control arm sticks out more than my left (the arms are the same lenght). The tires dont sit in the same spot when compared to the outer fender, 1/2 inch difference. I already use adjustable upper control arms.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010 - 02:31:29 PM »
Probably do it with a big vice buy my auto parts store let me use their press. They will also let me borrow the big BJ socket so I won't have to buy one.  Probably helps to buy the BJ there though.
Rob