Author Topic: "Problem solver" front end parts  (Read 5083 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: "Problem solver" front end parts
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010 - 02:35:05 PM »
I can go to Napa and they will press them in, but I am sure there will be a charge since I am not buying them there....I may check to see what their price is and see what having them do it will run.

Harbor Freight has a press on sale for like $80.....hmmmmmm.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010 - 06:23:38 PM »
  Another hint, it is easier to replace the upper BJ with the wishbone in the car, you may have to set it in loosely before finishing off.   :2thumbs:
  Purchasing speciality tools/equipment can cost a little more but is always then available for the future. Always be careful when using a press.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010 - 02:41:17 AM »
You can press them in with a vice. If yours is on the small side, just tighten it up and bang the other end of the vice with a hammer. With preload from the vice and impulse from the hammer, the bushings will slide in fine.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010 - 08:12:23 AM »
What about pressing them out?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010 - 12:45:10 PM »
I didn't use a press to take them out since you can easily damage the control arm.  I used a cutoff tool to cut the ends off then used an air chisel to knock the rubber out then the outer sleeve.  Years ago, I would burn out the rubber with a torch, then the sleeve would pop out. Lots of smoke and took a little while, but it worked.    Now I use my cutoff tool (angle grinder with a cut-off disk)  and air hammer for everything.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010 - 04:44:46 AM »
the American Muscle tool kit comes with a tool to remove & install upper control arm bushings

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010 - 05:20:27 AM »
The tools to do the UCA and LCA would run about $110 now that I already own the socket.....(LCA sleeve remover, LCA pivot remover, UCA bushing remover/installer).

Wonder if these tools can be rented at autozone?  I dont recall seeing them there.

For the same money I can buy a press.....IF that would work on all these items.

The right tool sure does make the job easy.....but if I bought a press at least I can use it for OTHER stuff as needed....will the press work just as easy or am I better off just biting the bullet and get the tools?

hate to have specialty tools laying around that I will only use once.....

So I am debating right now which to do.....