Author Topic: Really bizarre camber problem i cant figure out  (Read 3360 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Really bizarre camber problem i cant figure out
« on: January 20, 2010 - 11:05:01 AM »
Ok I can't figured out how this happened and it makes no sense what so ever. Over Christmas I did some front end work on my car. I replaced the upper control arm bushings with the Moog problem solver bushing and installed them per the instructions as I have had problems in the past getting the camber right (always too negative), I replaced the upper ball joints, and lubed the entire front end. Afterwards I realligned the front end, set the camber at roughly negative 1/2 degree, gave it as much positive caster as I could, and set the toe at something like 1/8 inch in. Everything was working great, the car handled better, and the front end felt nice and tight (compared to before when the car would almost jump lanes when I hit a pot hole). Since then everything seemed fine until a few days ago, when I started to notice the tires squealing a bit when I would go around corners and the front suspension just wasn't feeling right.

So I check out the front and notice that the camber has some how gone from my slightly negative condition to greatly positive!! So I check the upper control arm bolts only to find that they have not moved from the location I set them at back over Christmas. Since where I currently live I have limited resources available to me ( I perform all my major auto work at my parents house 4 hours north) I went ahead and adjusted the upper control arm bolts (front bolts as the rears were already adjusted towards the engine) to be very close to the engine as I would rather have a decent amount of negative camber compared to the large amount of positive camber. Of course I had to do this while the car was on the ground as I am limited on equipment. The front bolts adjusted really easily (probably due to the weight of the car being on the control arms), and now I have a negative camber situation (as was to be expected).

But my problem is I still have no idea what caused the positive camber situation to begin with and everything that I can see on the suspension looks fine. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also this may have been an optical illusion, but when I made the adjustment on the front camber bolts it seemed that the car was sitting lower in the front, but it may be in my head?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Really bizarre camber problem i cant figure out
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010 - 11:59:18 AM »
Are you able to get it to a trusted front end alignment shop?  If so, that might be your best route.  A front end alignment is only around $50.00.    :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010 - 12:00:40 PM »
I've been thinking about taking it to an alignment shop, but I don't know any in my area that I can trust.

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010 - 12:16:28 PM »
Ok I can't figured out how this happened and it makes no sense what so ever. Over Christmas I did some front end work on my car. I replaced the upper control arm bushings with the Moog problem solver bushing and installed them per the instructions as I have had problems in the past getting the camber right (always too negative), I replaced the upper ball joints, and lubed the entire front end. Afterwards I realligned the front end, set the camber at roughly negative 1/2 degree, gave it as much positive caster as I could, and set the toe at something like 1/8 inch in. Everything was working great, the car handled better, and the front end felt nice and tight (compared to before when the car would almost jump lanes when I hit a pot hole). Since then everything seemed fine until a few days ago, when I started to notice the tires squealing a bit when I would go around corners and the front suspension just wasn't feeling right.

You say you aligned the car. Do you mean you took it to an alignment shop or did it yourself? Do you have alignment equiptment.

The Moog 7103 Bushings should NOT be intstall per the instructions on the box.

Instal per this diagram.

Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010 - 12:28:39 PM »
I've been thinking about taking it to an alignment shop, but I don't know any in my area that I can trust.

You need to network out. I about guarentee there's are good alignment shops near Sunnyvale. See if you can find the website for the local SCCA autocross club. Sometime they will have discussion boards. The autocross guys know where the good alignment shops/tech are hidden.

I searched sunnyvale california performance alignment on Google and got this: http://www.customalignment.com/  I see various vintage SCCA racecars in the photo gallery. Even a 71 383 'Cuda vert that a guy with the last name of Nichols used to own. It came down to a Spring Fling once.  I also found this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13556

Then I searched - sunnyvale california performance alignment SCCA solo II - And found they even sponsor some Solo II cars:  http://www.sfr-solo.org/solo2/Results/2008/Slush/round02.html

Now I don't know where the car is 4 hours away. But list that and start networking. I wouldn't drive it 4 hours with a bad alignment.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010 - 12:34:32 PM by autoxcuda »
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010 - 12:33:31 PM »
My Dad has alignment equipment, so we aligned it at his place. I installed them per the instructions to gain camber as I was having a situation before with too much negative camber. I am aware of the other method of installation that increases the positive caster, but that is not the effect I was looking for. There is an autocross club here at work and I may contact them. The car is with me in Sunnyvale, my parents are in Redding and that is where I perform work on the car, I take it to their place.

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010 - 12:42:12 PM »
My Dad has alignment equipment, so we aligned it at his place. I installed them per the instructions to gain camber as I was having a situation before with too much negative camber. I am aware of the other method of installation that increases the positive caster, but that is not the effect I was looking for. There is an autocross club here at work and I may contact them. The car is with me in Sunnyvale, my parents are in Redding and that is where I perform work on the car, I take it to their place.

Check to see if the holes on the K-member that takes the LCA pin is in good shape and the welds have not broken. Jack the car up and look at every connection with a flashlight. Move the tire side to side and up and down while looking at the suspension on that side in question. Might need another person to move the tire while you watch underneath.
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010 - 12:53:19 PM »
I'll give that a shot, have to wait til this weekend though as we are getting pounded with rain right now, suppose to dry up by saturday.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010 - 03:22:46 PM »
After you installed all the parts, did you drive the car around the block to settle the suspension before setting the alignment? Just setting the car on the ground is not enough to do this, and neither is bouncing up and down on the suspension. The car actually has to be driven a short distance for the suspension to settle completely (I usually make a lap around the block). If you adjusted it without doing this, the car would settle (typically lowering the nose of the car) and the alignment would be different at the new height.

I would also check all the suspension parts for tightness, not just the adjuster bolts. I had a ball joint actually loosen up on me after I installed my new UCA's. But if the camber changed on both sides its more likely the ride height changed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010 - 03:30:01 PM by 72bluNblu »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010 - 03:45:55 PM »
Yes i did drive the car around the block (big block roughly 2 miles) during my aligning process and the suspension seems tight.