Author Topic: E-Body Louvers 70-74  (Read 10424 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: E-Body Louvers 70-74
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010 - 01:23:02 PM »
I am in contact with LPI & trying to become a dealer for them in the west
we could work together & probably save a few $$ & get a few serts ordered if interested

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010 - 01:32:24 PM »
Louvers are new to me.  I thought I remember reading they only came on vinyl top cars from the factory?  Any truth to that?

Mine are supposedly Mopar Performance pieces.   :dunno:  Don't know how to tell?

Mike, your louvers are a true original factory set that sat in a guys attic for 20+ years. Back when he bought them, he thought that they would fit his Challenger, but of course they didn't.  I traded him an oem elasto front bumper for them. They looked brand new and still had the factory paint on them. Wish I could have kept them for my other 71.  :money:
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010 - 04:09:23 PM »
Thx,

I've heard different things about how they should fit/lay.  Some say they should actually not lay on the roof.  So I'm curious about the gap around the top and edges.

Here ya go. If you want more let me know? I used "nutserts" instead of using the sheet metal screws supplied. There is a "lip" on a nutsert so it raises the hinge up by 0.060" ( I'm guessing?) If I would have spotfaced the hinge to allow for the extra height of the nutsert it would have lowered it some I guess, but I wasn't worried about it. I used stainless screws to hold it on to the roof. All the pin and hardware is stainless too as supplied! I'm very happy with them! One of my top 5 favourite parts on my car!

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010 - 06:34:39 PM »
Mike, your louvers are a true original factory set that sat in a guys attic for 20+ years. Back when he bought them, he thought that they would fit his Challenger, but of course they didn't.  I traded him an oem elasto front bumper for them. They looked brand new and still had the factory paint on them. Wish I could have kept them for my other 71.  :money:

Larry, I don't know how you lasted all those years with that vibration sound coming from back there.  I'm gonna have to buy a CD deck so I can hook those speakers up & try to drown out the sound.  That's what I'm telling my wife anyways.   ;)

So can anyone tell me if vinyl top's are required with louvers when they were new?
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010 - 07:20:36 PM »
I am in contact with LPI & trying to become a dealer for them in the west
we could work together & probably save a few $$ & get a few serts ordered if interested

That'd be cool, a C-C.com louver group buy maybe?!  ;D

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010 - 08:44:11 PM »
So can anyone tell me if vinyl top's are required with louvers when they were new?[/b]
[/quote]

Yes they had to have the vinyl roof to add the louvers from the factory

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010 - 09:13:59 PM »
So can anyone tell me if vinyl top's are required with louvers when they were new?[/b]

Yes they had to have the vinyl roof to add the louvers from the factory

WHY?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010 - 12:39:11 AM »
Vinyl top probably helped to hide some crude factory installs. Kinda like vinyl tops on Superbirds. Just my guess.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010 - 01:40:15 AM »
Thanks Neil.   :2thumbs:

My memory absolutely sucks nowadays but it's strange how some things I remember.

I agree rallye73, easier just to cover any kind of screw ups with the vinyl top.  I really like the clean look of no vinyl top.
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010 - 01:41:55 AM »
i would love a set but i have the S/E vinyl top trim with a big back glass and the trim almost touch each other and that pin wouldnt fit between the 2 pieces
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010 - 10:53:35 AM »
if we can put a group buy together I can definatly save some $$ as I can get a better price on them if we order 5 or more, I have 2 sold so far & I can check into having them drop shipped from them instead of shipping to me first .
 There are 3 styles
Cuda 70-74
Chall 70-74
Chall 08-10
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010 - 11:03:00 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010 - 10:58:45 AM »
if we can put a group buy together I can definatly save some $$ as I can get a better price on them if we order 5 or more, I have 2 sold so far & I can check into having them drop shipped from them instead of shipping to me first
Just a thought ...? If people are going to Carlisle...? Good spot to pick up parts?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010 - 01:11:22 PM »
Mike, I think I mentioned that you might want to put something on the edges of the louvers where they touch the glass. I always meant to split some vacuum line and do just that but never got around to it. You have to remember that I have several musclecars and it was hard finding the time to take care of all of their needs. That and I would forget about the rattle as soon as I got out of the car. Old age? 
I used stainless nutserts and stainless screws for the hinges as well . They never have come loose.
In addition to the vinyl top being required with louvers, you also had the black window trim that had a vinyl pattern. I personally hate vinyl tops and none of my cars including my Superbird will ever have one for as long as I own them.
I always liked the looks of the car with the louvers and no vinyl top. The louvers are cool but it was kind of a pain cleaning the back glass.
I probably won't buy a set for other 71 since the good ones are kind of pricey. If I had already a set though I would certainly install it. Honestly, I had planned to take all of the good stuff off of the car that you bought and put it on the other car and rebuild the car that you bought as a plain jane car. Never got around to it. The current plan for my 71 Cuda is to build it with my shaker hood setup, 5.7 hemi, the 4-speed that I removed from your car and I'm keeping the bench seat. I'll have to modify the center of the seat to clear the shifter. The car's going back to tor-red as original. I already have everything to build the car except the time. Maybe this summer.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010 - 05:00:00 PM »
Here ya go. If you want more let me know? I used "nutserts" instead of using the sheet metal screws supplied. There is a "lip" on a nutsert so it raises the hinge up by 0.060" ( I'm guessing?)

Brad, didn't your louvers come with black rubber gaskets for the hinges like the factory ones? This might close the gap created by the nutserts, eh?

I had a non-vinyl top V code Chally back in the 90's with louvers, but I do not recall if they were on the sheet or dealer installed. I bet Barry has the dealer info on this.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010 - 05:17:32 PM »
Hi Steve,
 The gap I was referring to is not on/under the hinge ,but around the top of the window. (louvers)The rubber gaskets did come with it ,and I did install them too.
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post