Author Topic: breaking in rebuilt engine  (Read 2582 times)

Offline guys71cuda

breaking in rebuilt engine
« on: January 20, 2010 - 10:16:00 PM »
i am going to be breaking in the 318 i just had rebuilt. i have heard start immediately fine tune timing and run at 2000 for twenty mins for cam. then for rings take the vehicle out and make some 35-55 mph pulls and let the engine slow the vehicle down to 35. repeat 10 times and rings should be sealed. correct? or no? thanks

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: breaking in rebuilt engine
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010 - 10:20:37 PM »
Yeah, thats pretty much true on the cam. If the cylinders were honed properly with a plateau finish stone then there's no need to seat the rings. Assuming you dont know if that was done then I would seat the rings as you said.Just remember, no synthetic oil for at least 500 miles if you were thinking bout using it.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010 - 01:05:54 AM »
I agree , run it in at 1800 or so for 20-30 minutes then drive it varing speeds for 500 miles & get it seated in
 I would not use synthetic for at least 3000 miles though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010 - 07:42:55 AM »
Don't forget a good oil additive like Comp Cams break-in lube also.I think the part number is 159.
Dave

Offline guys71cuda

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010 - 06:18:01 PM »
i was told to run rotella 15w 40 for oil is this correct?

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010 - 06:31:40 PM »
There was a thread recently about which oil still has zinc in it. You need it for flat tappet cams/ lifters. You may want to look it up for reference, I don't want to give the wrong info.
I do know that when I got my engine from the rebuilder that were very specific to use this product in every oil change.
Dave

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010 - 07:18:14 PM »
Really, you can use the new oil of your choice as long as you throw in a bottle of ZDDP to make up for the lack of zinc in modern oil. Here is a recent thread..

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=61928.0

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010 - 08:50:48 PM »
Rotella is no longer the Good oil to use
If you can find some SL rated oil , some diesel oils still are SL , you can use that , the bottom line is you really can use any oil but you have to use the additive with it

Offline guys71cuda

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010 - 07:09:05 PM »
ok ill pick up a bottle. quick question, am i supposed to break in before or after fine tuning the timing? the engine would not stay running unless i stayed on the gas today while i was trying to set it. any ideas? i do haave a pretty bad leak coming from the carb. i plan on getting it rebuilt before break in. thanks

eric

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010 - 10:36:27 PM »
Well, in an ideal world you should be able to fire it up, with everything set( timing,mixture for the carb etc.) then raise the idle speed. You should be able to get your base timing pretty close by hooking up a timing light, and with the key in the run position,and the crank turned to your desired timing position,rotate the distributor until the light flashes. You may have to do this a coupla times but then you can fire the engine knowing that you should be within a couple of degree's. When you do fire the engine, immediately raise the rpm's and fine tune the timing by ear. Of course you can't set it completely correct at high idle, but you should be awfully close. And don't forget to keep an eye on the coolant and oil pressure gauges.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010 - 10:40:26 PM »
am i supposed to break in before or after fine tuning the timing? the engine would not stay running unless i stayed on the gas today while i was trying to set it. any ideas? i do haave a pretty bad leak coming from the carb. i plan on getting it rebuilt before break in.
My 2 cents:  Assuming it will start and run, then run the engine for the 20 minute cam break in, then you can mess with final timing, carbs, etc.   The cam needs the oil splash flying around at a constant elevated RPM to lube it properly during cam break in.  Try to get the carb mix dialed in before running it on the road so you don't wash the cylinder walls with over-rich mix.  Too much fuel won't let the rings seat properly.
Phil

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010 - 10:55:46 AM »
as soon as it fires I set the idle speed at 1800 or so & then I play with the timing , I keep advancing it until it start to pop through the exhaust & back it off until it smooths out again , this will minimize the heat . after I get the timing set I start to adjust the carb mixture & float levels while contining to adjust the run speed to compensate for adjustments made 

Offline guys71cuda

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010 - 05:37:18 PM »
the bottle of cam shield zinc additive i ordered online came today. should i buy a priming tool or will cranking the engine with the coil wire removed be sufficient? what gear should the transmission be in for break-in? thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010 - 05:59:37 PM »
If the engine has brg guard in it when assembled I would just fill the filter & start it , cranking it over to get oil pressure will do more damage to the cam

Offline guys71cuda

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010 - 11:25:39 PM »
whats a brg guard? thanks