Author Topic: STILL can't get the hood emblems on.......  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Glennster

STILL can't get the hood emblems on.......
« on: January 23, 2010 - 10:38:30 PM »
  I've tried the little pink plastic things, the holes on the hood scoops are not consistent so they won't work.
   I tried wrapping the emblem pins with tape and forcing them in, no luck there.
I was thinking about trying a REAL FAST set adhesive, but something that dries soft and rubbery like the windshield adhesives. I thought I could have someone hold the emblem firm to the hood while I try to get some adhesive on the back side of the hood and the emblem pins.......
Any ideas are WELCOME!!!

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Re: STILL can't get the hood emblems on.......
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010 - 10:54:05 PM »
I'd go with the adhesive you described. I've used SHOW GOO with success too. Just be sure to rough up the pins, and CLEAN up the underside of the hood for best bonding.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010 - 11:23:58 PM »
Have you tried the fastnuts that come with emblems? I dont know about those emblems but all of the ones I have seen have the hollow backed fastnuts on them.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Glennster

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010 - 11:43:01 PM »

There's just not enough room under the hood to get in there with nuts. Even getting the adhesive in there is difficult.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010 - 11:06:33 PM »
I'd go with the adhesive you described. I've used SHOW GOO with success too. Just be sure to rough up the pins, and CLEAN up the underside of the hood for best bonding.

Ha!  I thought I was the only one who uses that stuff for things other than shoes!  :thumbsup:

Shoo Goo is really good adhesive.  Dried hard, not rubbery.  I like it more than Gorilla Glue as it doesn't foam up like spray insulation in a can  The way I best describe it is like a hot glue gun in a tube.  This is the other thing you need in the tool box next to the duct tape.  :grinyes:  I get it usually in the shoe depeartment at Walmart.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Glennster

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010 - 06:13:37 AM »
  Here's how sweet it will look......They're just lying there in this picture................
I think I'll try the Shoo Goo, how fast does that stuff dry?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010 - 08:43:03 AM »
Barrel nuts ....I can get from my local Ace Hardware ...Want some?

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Glennster

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010 - 12:59:24 PM »
THANK YOU for the offer, I've got an Ace store about 2 miles down the road. I might take a look at that. It's just real hard to get to the back of the emblems on the hood scopes.....
 Do they screw on or push on???

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010 - 01:39:59 PM »
You push the barrel nuts into the hood first, then push the emblem into the barrel nuts.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010 - 07:41:52 PM »
If you can do the barrel nuts, I would go with those and those will probably be more secure in the long run.  After slammiing the hood closed multiple times the Shoo Goo may hold, but there's a better chance IMO that the barrel nuts will do the trick a little better.

I never thought about the dry time with Shoo Goo but it gets tacky in like 30 minutes I would guess.  Depending upon how thick you put it on will determine how quickly it'll dry.  I think layer, like say 1/8" think I would guess to be completely dry in like 48 hours.  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

wagesofsin

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010 - 07:45:39 PM »
the plastic sleeves that came with the emblems are what you need to use, the holes cant be that far off.
just push em on the emblems, and stuff em in the holes. seems to me like your going to an awful lotta trouble .

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010 - 10:14:29 PM »
the plastic sleeves that came with the emblems are what you need to use, the holes cant be that far off.
just push em on the emblems, and stuff em in the holes. seems to me like your going to an awful lotta trouble .
:iagree:
Just go slow ,the repops are made from some really soft material that brakes real easy.
Dave

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010 - 10:48:26 PM »
Some of the newer reproduction emblems have larger studs on the back than the factory emblems did.  I had to go with oversized barrel nuts on my car and they work really well.  The bracing on the under side of the hood prevents access for use of a speed nut or glue.

Barrel nuts are the way to go and they simply snap into the original hood pin holes.  If you have aftermarket emblems, you might have to enlarge the factory hood pin holes.  I had to do this to my hood and add a third hole as well since I added hemi cuda emblems to my power bulge hood.

Hope this helps...

Offline Justins72

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010 - 12:42:08 PM »
What i did with my hood emblems was cut the studs off the emblem then used some 3M Emblem double sided tape that was wider then the emblem then took a razor blade and trimed the excess off.  I didnt have holes in my hood and i didnt want to drill any.  Its been a year now and they are still stuck to the hood real good.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010 - 01:19:58 PM »

when I bought my cuda, the hood emblems were missing, so I got me some repops. They came with the sleeves but the holes in the hood didn`t correspond with the pins on the emblems. I`m glad I found out before I had the car painted... I redrilled the holes.
*** Bart ***