Author Topic: Correct color for wiper motor and brake booster  (Read 4333 times)

Offline femtnmax

Correct color for wiper motor and brake booster
« on: January 24, 2010 - 10:13:06 PM »
For 74 chally, the wiper motor lays flat against the firewall, so thats a 3 spd?  What color to paint motor housing, or is it Zinc plated?  Ive read the gear housing is natural cast color.
For same car power brake booster and master cylinder, what is correct color?  My booster has a sticker on it "mopar 45".
thanks.
Phil

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Correct color for wiper motor and brake booster
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010 - 11:08:47 PM »
The motor & booster should be the golden Zinc color & yes the motor is a 3 speed

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010 - 01:55:07 PM »
Chryco is right. 

The wiper motor is plated in zinc dichromate.  I know it's a lot of money, but do yourself a favor and send your motor to Jules. 

http://www.julesdaddio.com/

The booster is also plated in zinc dichromate as well as the master cylinder cover.  The master cylinder itself is left bare.  Send your booster to Dewey.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010 - 10:27:03 PM »
I promised Jules I would be happy to share my experience with anyone who might use his service , I had top prepay & was promised 10 week delivery
 6+ months later my wiper motor shows up with a broken plug
 use him if you want be you were warned

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010 - 11:15:12 PM »
 :iagree: CP , myself and one other sent Jules three motors. Took him a loooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg time to get them back but boy they certainly work like brand new. Expensive and worth the quality but oh .... that long wait.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010 - 09:23:50 AM »
I had to waite 8 weeks.  I guess it just depends on how much work he has to do.  It's a one man opperation.  I don't even have my car back from the bodyshop yet so time was of no concern for me.

My motor came back with brocken plug too.  He is sending me a new one.

Offline 30below

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010 - 08:30:34 AM »
Hey guys,on the booster,mine is a 73 Cuda and is black and is originol.I did a little research before i redid it and found that the Bendix ones were black and Midland Ross were zinc.Did they use both venders for all the ebody years?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010 - 09:23:14 AM »
Does your 73 have power disc brakes?  I thought that was standard in 73.  If so I think it should have the Midland/Ross booster.  That's all I remember seeing on those cars.

I have seen some Midland/Ross boosters painted black but I just assumed it was easier to paint them than it was to send them out for plating.  I made sure to inspect mine just to make sure.  I blasted it years ago but never took the plate off the back.  Once I removed the plate, I could see that the plate was origonally black and the booster was plated.

Offline swede-cuda

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010 - 05:24:39 PM »
 :wave:ok,ive got two variable speed  3431077 wipermotors,e-body, 70.not 73 but anyway ,about the color on the motor housing.both where painted black when i got them,i removed the paint and found that golden dicromate stuff on the one built late in 69.so far ok.but ,on my spare motor built in the 111 th day in 1970 there was nada under the paint???so WHATS UP WITH THAT??ive been wondering bout that a while now.help.HELP,AAARRGHHH,by the way there is not the smallest sign of any dicromate stuff on that 111-70 built motor.?????-9

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010 - 05:30:27 PM »
Here is a 70 that may help.

Offline passion4mopars

• Passion4mopars
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010 - 07:07:48 PM »
Yellow zinc dichromate was the factory original finish on the three speed motors

Here's a page on wiper motor part numbers that I've posted on my site so you know part number and application   :bigsmile:

http://www.passion4mopars.com/pages/wmpn

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010 - 09:15:38 AM »
The dichromate was a sacrifitial coating to protect the housing.  It is very possible that all traces of that coating have been corroded away.  It obviously does its job because I was shocked at how clean the housing came out once I got my motor back.  Looking at it before hand, you would never guess that it would clean up that nice.

Offline Jules The Wiperman

• Jules DAddio
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010 - 08:13:43 PM »
The comments posted are true and I apologize for the very long delay.
2009 was a tough year for me for many reasons. Some good and some very bad.
My workload quadrupled and my health played hell on me.
2010 will be better as I will be more selective on the jobs I take on.
My turn around times will be longer and clients will be warned ahead of time so
frustration should be held to a minimum.
To my knowledge anyone who has received a broken plug was sent a replacement.
Once again I am sorry about the delays. Hopefully the end result was worth the wait.
Jules