Author Topic: Sway bar/k member mounting pictures anyone?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Sway bar/k member mounting pictures anyone?
« on: January 25, 2010 - 07:28:58 AM »
I was under my car all day yesterday cleaning and degreasin gand repainting.....started thinking ahead a bit as far as a sway bar. 

I plan on getting the weld-on tabs from hotchkis for my LCAs, but where do the other mounts for the bar mount on the k member? 

I noticed two oval "slots" on each side of the k member (I will have to take some pics) but they are filled in with weld.....not sure if these were the holes and someone filled the in or if I am even in the right ballpark.

If someone can post some pics of the setup i would really appreciate it....I dont plan on doing the sway bar right now....gonna reassemble everything and then get that later,...but want to do the tabs and any other "hard" stuff now before final painting and assembly.

(Can I assume that I can install a sway bar AFTER the LCAs and strut bars, front end etc are all on?)

Thanks folks!  :bigsmile:

Offline farmboy70

Re: Sway bar/k member mounting pictures anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010 - 12:47:38 PM »
Here you go.
Dave

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010 - 01:05:53 PM »
Thanks!  Man , it looks good under your car! Wish mine looked that nice!   :violin:

I may have an issue......My k member is slightly damaged in the center..wondering if a bar will fit through it....didnt really dawn on me that it went THRU the k member til this pic.

The two brackets -- looks like there are holes on my k member for those already....but I dont have what appears to be that crossbrace/bracket behind the bushing/silver bracket.......??

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010 - 04:12:06 PM »
I may have an issue......My k member is slightly damaged in the center
From using the K-member to jack up your car?

The two brackets -- looks like there are holes on my k member for those already....but I dont have what appears to be that crossbrace/bracket behind the bushing/silver bracket.......??
If your sway bar is new they should come with it...mine did.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010 - 05:36:59 PM »
No idea.....it was like that when I got it....I have the feeling the car was off the road at one time.....its not mangled, but....maybe I will post a pic and see what you guys think.

I dont want to waste my time getting and welding on the sway bar tabs if I wont be able to use them.....a new k-member is NOT in my near future....

But I do use it to jack the car up..... :dunno:

The sway bar you got....was it aftermarket or OEM style?

Offline shadango

• Resident

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010 - 10:04:10 PM »
Doesn't look that bad from your pictures, maybe a little in the center but shouldn't be that hard to bend. Looks like there is room for the sway bar to clear.
Dave

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010 - 10:10:26 PM »

I agree.  Should be plenty of space.  The sway bar kits include some shim stock to position the mounts correctly.

My sway bar is from Just Suspensions...attaches the same way that the factory one does.  Mounts to the K the way that Farmboy posted and uses the mounts on the LCA's.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010 - 05:19:05 AM »
 :2thumbs:  Thanks guys.