Author Topic: Tappet Noise I think  (Read 9516 times)

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
Re: Tappet Noise I think
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010 - 09:22:00 PM »
OK - need help now. I've found what I think is the cause - the inlet lifter face is seriously concave, like its been under a lot of pressure from the cam lobe. It actually took a bit of getting out because there was a slight burring. What should I do now??? I'll have to replace the lifter, but why has it done that??
Bay of Islands, New Zealand

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010 - 10:04:16 PM »
Is the pushrod bent?  Does the camshaft lobe appear to be the same condition as the others, or does it look extremely worn by comparison?

How long has the motor run since it was rebuilt?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010 - 10:25:45 PM »
Its not looking good - pushrod in good shape. I imported car about 5 years ago but had minimal use, just the odd cruise. The engine was supposed to be a fairly fresh rebuild at the time but I'm not 100% sure about that. The lifter is in bad shape and about 1/16" shorted than the others.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010 - 10:35:29 PM »
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010 - 02:46:53 AM »
This has become very common
there is not enough anti scuff [ZDDP] in newer oils so even if the engine is fresh you have lost the cam & lifter so you need a new cam & set of lifters . I would be looking at a Lunati VooDoo if you want hyd or a custom grind Lunati solid

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010 - 03:17:19 AM »
Thanks CP, I was afraid of that. I just spoke to our Mopar engine guy in the city and he said what you said. He also said that a while back there were no lifters being made in the US and that the chinese filled the vaccuum with inferior metal lifters thereby destroying a large number of engines. I believe there's one US manufacturer back in production now?? I think we can get the Lunati stuff here so we'll go for it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010 - 04:00:30 AM »
I can get it & forward if needed
 Johnson had a fire & stopped production & one other lifter company went out of business at the same time & there was a about a year when no decent lifters could be bought , Johnson is back in bussiness now , you will probably need a new oil pump & you will have to cleanout the engine well when installing the new cam

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010 - 04:08:08 PM »
The engineer in Auckland can supply the cam but thanks for your offer. This is new ground for me but in a way I'm quite looking forward to the job. I've got a service manual that goes through the steps pretty clearly so it shouldn't be too bad. I will need some advice when the time comes to set up timing etc. Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far.

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010 - 06:54:27 PM »
Hi guys
Just checking - is number one on the 383 closest to the radiator on the drivers side and that left bank 1 3 5 7 and right bank 2 4 6 8 heading back towards the firewall, also is the distributer rotation clockwise or anti clockwise?? I want to label everything as I remove it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010 - 01:03:49 PM »
rotation is counterclockwise , 1 is front drivers side as you said the problem is after the cam is removed the dist/oil pump drive will need to be inserted in exactly the same position for the labeled wires to work in the same place on the dist capso I am not sure labelling them will help you out

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010 - 04:28:55 PM »
OK, cam is out - it's a mess. Over 2mm missing from inlet lobe on #8 and about the same from the corresponding lifter. Don't know what cam it is - has EP-45 on stem and Z010 (i think) on end??
Now the questions... It's 383 with dual plane edlebrock performer inlet, edlebrock 750cfm carb. It has headers and 3" pipes and I want it to 'perform' well in the 2500 upwards range. I run power brakes so need a bit of vaccuum. The heads are 906 but I don't know any more than that - they are still in. Currently it sounds (sounded) nice with a lumpy idle that promised serious business. Cam selection is a mystery to me so advice would be really appreciated.
Another question...should I strip the engine out and flush it (don't want to do this but will do it if it is necessary) or can I clean it by dropping sump and using compressed air or something like that?

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010 - 07:43:17 PM »
Check out Lunati's 60303LK or 60304LK, depending how much "lump" you want.  Do you have adjustable rockers?

As for cleaning up the mess, I doubt this happened instantly...more likely they've been grinding each other to death over the last few thousand miles and it now got bad enough that you could notice it.  Given that theory, your oil filter has most likely been catching the "dust" the whole time.

You could drop the pan and rinse/blow out whatever's left, but I think a full teardown of the engine is unnecessary.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010 - 08:29:59 PM »
I agree with the Lunati choice
I would do a couple of oil changes & check the oil pump for damage , if the damage is minmal you will be OK , you could replace the pump after you do 1 oil change

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010 - 05:04:00 AM »
Thank you for the advice - I really apreciate it. I'll keep you posted as to where I go with this.

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010 - 12:22:26 AM »
I just got cam specs back - sounds like it was pretty radical. I'll try and upload the doc. I'm going with the Lunati 60303 as suggested but need help identifying components that will be compatible - help please. I know I need a 3 bolt timing chain set - which one??? Hydraulic lifters - which ones???  Also...do I have to replace rods rocker arm assembly and springs? If so, what do I replace with? Currently it has double springs but I don't know anything about them. Your advice as always will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all