Author Topic: Tappet Noise I think  (Read 9512 times)

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
Re: Tappet Noise I think
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2010 - 12:12:05 AM »
Thanks CP - that looks like what has happened. We live and we learn
if the valve seat is cut down into the head the spring height will change so you need shims to maintain the spring height ,tyoically the intake needs shims & the exhaust has new seats put in made of harder material so they do not need shims .
 the stock valves are 2 & 4 groove & you can get 10* lock with stock grooves if needed
Bay of Islands, New Zealand

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010 - 12:42:00 AM »
I'm a bit stuck with where to set the distributer. On the old points dizzy you could easliy set the rotor to number one lead with the contacts breaking. On the one I have in Gloria I don't know how to tell when its making spark so I'm not sure what to do. I have TDC with #1 on firing stroke (both valves closed) os I guess I just point the contact arm to number one lead on the cap? Here's some pics of my dizzy.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2010 - 11:48:23 AM »
you need to line up the tip of the reluctor under the rotor with the center of the pickup coil , I usually do this with the damper on the crank  around 30* advanced or more

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2010 - 04:45:42 AM »
Well, I finished putting everything together this afternoon and I was going ot wait for a more neighbour friendly time to see if I could get the engine started but then I thought what the heck. I wired up a tach turned the key and let the fuel pump prime things up, said a short prayer and wound her over. She lept into life immediately which blew me away because I had thought I would have trouble. After a bit of smoke off the headers she settled into a steady beat and I kept things plus and minus 2000rpm for 10 minutes, then I got to feel sorry for my neighbours. I'll do the other 10 minutes tomorrow. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you and to say that God is good.

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2010 - 05:27:36 PM »
How nice of you to think of your neighbours. Here in the USA its Mothers Day and I swear about 7 near by neighbours are mowing their lawns and playing with their leaf blowers (which all are loud as any old car--but old car exhaust notes sound sweeter, lol).

Did you check the total timing--I would set it for 34 degrees as a base line to start with.  A water hose is good to hose down the radiator to keep the motor from overheating. 

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2010 - 01:20:37 AM »
Hey CP, one more question (I hope). Everything has worked out well and the car is running fine - so much better than before but I am noticing that there is a clear tappet rattle as I pass through the 60mph speed. I dont have a working tacho to tell what the RPM areso I can't be precise there. Anyhow, once its passed through that stage I can settle back to 60MPH and the rattle is not there. It's definitely tappets so I'm wondering if they are still to fill with oil or something like that (I did pre prime them before locking everything down). I ran the cam in for 20min at RPM between 1500 and 2000. It's not that bad but it is annoying me. Any thoughts??

Offline ireland383

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2010 - 07:45:42 AM »
I have a clatter at certain RPM's and then it goes away.  I was told it was the fast ramps of the cam. :dunno:
1971 Plymouth Barracuda

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2010 - 09:17:00 PM »
Cheers for that

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold