Author Topic: installing side mirrors  (Read 1106 times)

Offline GreenFish

installing side mirrors
« on: September 15, 2004 - 07:18:22 AM »
ok I got me a nice set of 70 ralley mirrors. I got my driver's on but it already had the little top hat looking nuts in the door. I am going to do the passenger side and i am wondering how those nuts stay in the door without pulling out. Do the screws make them expand out a little keeping them in or something like that??? ??? ???

It looks now that if i mount the mirror the nuts and the mirror will come out, but this is not the case with the driver side.
Can someone clue me in?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
Re: installing side mirrors
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004 - 07:29:33 AM »
There is a special tool that inserts those threaded inserts into your door and mushrooms the back against the inner door skin. I just had to do that to my car, dont know where to get the tool, got it from my dad b/c hes a tool distributor. ;D

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004 - 08:01:21 AM »
I figured it was something like that.. can you try and find out where i can get one?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004 - 10:18:02 AM »
i figured it out..   those things are called "rivet nuts"  or "expanding nuts"  they can be installed with a tool that is basicly a rivet gun. Harbor freight sells one for $12 , Incase anyone else needs one this is the part number for harbor freight  30769-2VGA

Thanks 74Chall