Author Topic: Well what do you think  (Read 2088 times)

Offline challenged72

Well what do you think
« on: February 01, 2010 - 06:08:15 PM »
worth $300?

http://img195.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=charger012.jpg

73 charger, price class H, 318 auto column shift. AC. No title but shouldnt be too hard to get one. I know the story on where it came from

still has original engine/trans

front disc brakes, good floors, mostly solid, interior will be in pretty good shape if I clean it up, the carpet is even good

comes with two drivers side doors, with NO rust at all and a few extra parts

the steering is out, but theres an extra steering box in the car so maybe it works? Thats the reason it was parked, ran when parked. I am going to put a 340 or 318 in, I found both for dirt cheap near me

hood and roof are covered but both are in great shape, Ive saw it when I bought my challenger

Has all of the AC parts, original radio is in it, all interior/exterior parts are there I believe. The front and rear bumpers are perfect

VIN wh23g3a225878

couldnt find a trim tag, are they fender or firewall tags on these?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 - 06:10:04 PM by challenged72 »

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
Re: Well what do you think
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 - 06:40:34 PM »
worth the money  :2thumbs:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010 - 07:02:32 PM »
Looks like it is worth $300. What are your plans, fix,part it out, or sell? Either of the 3 ways it is worth 300
Chris, Ohio

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010 - 07:04:02 PM »
Go for it! Love the 3rd gen Chargers.  :2thumbs:

How can you go wrong for 300 clams?
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010 - 07:13:22 PM »
Looks good for that kind of money.    :2thumbs:  Would most likely get it myself and talk my son into it.   :bigsmile:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010 - 07:55:53 PM »
worth the money  :2thumbs:
Well worth it . Even if you parted it out you would make alot of  :money: with it  :2thumbs:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010 - 09:08:24 PM »
For $300 I say definately!  :grinyes:  Get it up and running even with the 318 and it'll make a cool cruiser!  Keep the steelies, paint it all black, get a nice exhaust and cruise!  :smokin:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline challenged72

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010 - 10:39:47 PM »
yeah Im hoping I can at least get the original 318 running as is at first but its a little dismantled so Im not too hopeful

my plans for it are this:

1- clean up the interior to driver quality which  means new headliner and some back seat repair, other minor things. Probably just FG over the dash pad or get a cap. Those front seats do not match, may just dye them black for now or get racing seats or put my old challenger seats in since they arent TOO bad. Any input?

2- Get the 318 running or swap to the 340 or other 318, and the steering box fixed. The AC compressor is in the trunk, the rest of the AC parts are there too which is nice. Im just wondering why the engine is torn aprt a little, & the fan and rad. are gone

If it turns out to be more trouble than its worth (its kind of sunk into the mud, I couldn't check the under body of it, but the rest of it is pretty solid so my fingers are crossed) then yeah I'll part it out or sell it as a parts car.

theres no ign key and the ign plate is popped off the column, I would have to get door, ign, and trunk locks and keys for it, rotors pads and calipers, exhaust since its in the dirt, new tires, interior work, getting it running, sling some paint on it to practice for painting the chally and Im sure some small things that would add up.

If I could do all of that relatively cheap and have cheap beater muscle then hell yeah, I would love that. I guess I'll just have to get it hauled to my building and look it over better to decide

I just don't know if I can afford to do all that while I'm in the middle of working on my challenger, I sure want to though  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 - 10:44:02 PM by challenged72 »

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010 - 10:56:03 PM »
I think I would just switch engines, and worry about the 318 later if it is dismantled. Challenger seats would work, anything to make it a driver with out big bucks. Good thing about a driver, is it don't have to be spectacular.
Chris, Ohio

Offline challenged72

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010 - 11:10:14 PM »
I think I would just switch engines, and worry about the 318 later if it is dismantled. Challenger seats would work, anything to make it a driver with out big bucks. Good thing about a driver, is it don't have to be spectacular.

yeah as long as it runs/drives with no problem, it doesnt have to be perfect.

Well the intake/carb/valve covers are there. Its just small stuff that is gone like the fan and AC compressor and stuff like that. I may just bolt it all on and try it anyways. Ive never swapped an engine before, this would be a good opportunity to try on something cheap

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010 - 08:14:59 AM »
Definately worth the money......     :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010 - 12:01:22 PM »
Yes      :iagree:     Yes!!!!!!!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline challenged72

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010 - 11:44:37 PM »
Ok its officially mine now, just waiting for the roads to be passable, he lives way out in the sticks and there is still snow everywhere out there. I remembered it sitting there when I bought my challenger, but I never thought to ask about it. I couldnt believe it when he said $300. Hes a real nice guy, loves Mopars

He has a couple rat rod pickup projects up there that are pretty interesting. One he said he'd take $750 for its nice, runs, 318 auto. Also has to 50s-60s dodge vans that are really solid, both run.

Anyways, parts for these cars dont seem to be readily available

Is there a certain reason nobody builds these? I think they look mean with the raked body style and the 73-74 windows are way better than the gremlin style of the 71-72 IMO

If anyone knows of any hide-away headlight or small reaer bumper bracket conversions out there let me know. Thanks for the good advice, Im happy with my new Mopar

Its already becoming a huge addiction
  :cheers:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010 - 12:10:57 AM »
Time for pics soon as you get back to it.

Congratulations.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline EDGEFIND

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010 - 07:43:20 AM »
Nice score! I'd drop that money in a heartbeat just to have it sit in my yard and look pretty. I've always liked the later gen bodies. ;D
-Jay, J.J., James, Jimmy Joe...I answer to all of them.