Author Topic: Deluxe seat belts in front...Standard seatbelts in back...  (Read 3654 times)

Offline elevenssc

Deluxe seat belts in front...Standard seatbelts in back...
« on: February 01, 2010 - 08:13:31 PM »
I'm getting my seat belts refurbished at Sharons Web Inc (http://www.sharonswebinc.com/) and she notified me that my 1970 Barracuda convertible has "incorrect" seatbelts.  The summary is that the front belts are the deluxe (black plastic push button with white trim) while the rear belts are the standard steel "flip open" design. 

This car has been in the family since 1974.  Dad bought the car from the original owner and these belts have been in the car since I can remember.  The car's schedulled build date was late April 1970.  From what I understand, the deluxe belt option was only offered in 1970, and should have a "seatbelt" light on the dash, which my car does not have.  The build sheet has no numbers in the "seat belt" section.  My guess is that there was excess inventory at the end of the 1970 build year and my car got the deluxe "upgrade" at no charge inorder to decrease the inventory.

I'm gonna keep the deluxe fronts because that's what the car came with.

I'm curious to know...Has anyone else with a late 70 duild date gotten the deluxe front seatbelts without them beng on the build sheet?

Thanks,

Alaskan_TA

Re: Deluxe seat belts in front...Standard seatbelts in back...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 - 08:55:21 PM »
What are the date codes on the labels for starters? 

The model year went to July 31, so using up extras in April would not be likely.

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010 - 07:23:51 PM »
1969-2 and 1969-3

I forget which date went on which belt.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010 - 02:27:03 PM »
Do your front units have the sensor to indicate "Fasten Seatbelts"?  you should see a wire attached to the spool sensor.

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010 - 09:18:13 PM »
No wires on the spools...no light on the dash.

Not sure how they got installed in the car, but they've been there since I can remember...

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010 - 10:57:31 PM »
No wire on 1970 belts.

The dash light was not connected to them.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010 - 06:58:33 PM »
Barry,

i used to have a 70 gran coupe convertible, but i don't recall if it had a sensor (& wire) on the spool.  If it did, there may have been a light on the dash (it was a standard cluster with wood grain), but my one cell brain can remember back that far (25 years ago).   my 70 hardtop does have the sensor & wire to go to the overhead console.  i just have find someone to do the restoration of the belts & make sure the sensor is operational.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010 - 09:35:18 PM »
I checked the wiring schematics for the 1970 Challenger, I see no wires going to the belts, am I missing something?  :dunno:

Alaskan_TA

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010 - 10:46:15 PM »
Barry,

thanks for posting the overhead console schematic.   :worshippy:  i will take a picture of my retractor/spool and post it.  Wierd ???  i assumed that when the spool was run out (i.e. the seat belt is attached), that that is what makes the light go out.  now i an going to have to unravel my wiring harnessess and see what's what.  :dunno:

It's always something!     :eek4:
Matt

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010 - 10:51:37 PM »
Here is the other page that goes with that one if you have not seen it yet?

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/serviceHighlights/70%20sh%2081.jpg

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010 - 11:00:01 PM »
WOW, thats great!!   :thumbsup: Thanks!!  I'll check my harness out tomorrow after i get home from work.  You have done a great job with the Hamtramack site & all the extra info!!  :worshippy

Matt

Offline Bikertrash

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010 - 05:14:48 PM »
Hey EB3-Gran Coupe, looked at my seatbelts - there are no wires on any of the belts and I'll send you the pics.  If anybody else needs some original info, I'll be glad to offer 2-3 cents worth. Mine is 100% original except for the front rotor (bad subject) and I have 500-600 pics as it was taken apart. Have pics of all inspection marks, etc.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010 - 07:05:48 PM »

thanks curt!  i'm sorry if i confused anyone.  i'm just trying to figure this out.  i thought i had the right seatbelt retractors, and now i have no clue.  now if i can find the digital camera, i'll take some picks of the harness   :picture: (the seatbelt retractors are at the shop - i'll have to get them this weekend).

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010 - 02:41:51 PM »
hey y'all

i'm gonna start a new thread, since the topic has changed from deluxe seatbelts, to wiring harness for overhead console. 

Curt - if you can i would like to see a pic of your seat belt latches, front and read.  if i have the wrong stuff, then i need to know what to look for!  thanks!

matt