Author Topic: WOW Toyota  (Read 10195 times)

Offline thesado

• 1972 Barracuda 318 GY4
Re: WOW Toyota
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010 - 11:09:50 AM »
Terribly tragic.  That's all that comes to my mind right now.   :walkaway:

Offline PlumCrazyRTSE

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010 - 11:36:08 AM »
At least Toyota has stepped up and admitted that they have a problem, although they should have done it much sooner.  The fact is that most manufacturers would never have admitted to it at all.  In 1986, I bought a new Pontiac Trans Am that did the same thing.  Three times in the year and a half I owned it, the accelerator went all that way to the floor when I was driving 25 to 35 mph and it wasn't a floor mat problem.  I was very luck not to have been in an accident.  At the time I thought it was probably an issue with the cruise control.  Of course the dealer said it wasn't possible.  It was a great looking car but mechanically it was a piece of junk, was glad to get rid of it.
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FC7 Plum Crazy Purple
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FE5 Bright Red

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010 - 12:06:32 PM »
I assume this is why Toy entered Nascar , they figured they could win if the driver couldn't lift on the throttle  :smilielol:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010 - 12:16:52 PM »
Seems to me they got too big for the britches so to speak and it caught up with them.  I am glad they stepped up finally to get the problem fixed. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010 - 06:17:58 PM »
Seems to me they got too big for the britches so to speak and it caught up with them.  I am glad they stepped up finally to get the problem fixed.

After 19 deaths......  I guess the Lawsuits are piling up.   :villagers:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010 - 07:32:00 PM »
I went over with my wife and son what to do if a situation like that ever happens to them. Put it in neutral or if it's a manual push the clutch in...i dont care if the engine grenades (and newer car all have rev limiters anyway) coast to the side of the road and shut it off.

True the lawyers are circling like sharks with blood in the water. Never cared much for Toyotas, pretty bland and boring cars IMO, but hate to see people lose their jobs and thats a possibility with this situation.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010 - 07:34:52 PM »
I had a problem in 2007 when I almost went through the front of my garage with my Toyota. I stood on the brakes as hard as I could and just got it to stop before it hit the back wall. It happened again one other time but wasn't as bad.

When I heard about the recall I thought it was good to fix the problem. When I saw what the recall was I knew it was to buy some time for Toyota. My floor mat is at least 4 inches from the pedal in any position. Now a better recall in theory is issued and it doesn't cover my model.  :faint: Toyota also says that the pedal problem doesn't effect Lexus models either. That poor family would beg to differ.

There has also been talk that there might be other issues in conjunction with the gas pedal. All in all I am still more happy with my Toy then any other brand of vehicle that I had in the past (Mostly GM). Hopefully they can get it all sorted out.

Lunch

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010 - 07:48:39 PM »
Another option on a long straight freeway would be to grind the car against the retaining wall to stop it. In the mining industry we call it "ribbing".  The walls in mines are called ribs. If you are travelling a downhill grade and lose brakes you either bail out or rib it.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010 - 01:46:21 PM »
 :2cents:  A few random thoughts ... if this was the BIG 3, they'd be cruxified by now!! Belive me this is NOT toyotas only problem. We see things in my end of the industry thats seldom known by the general public or admitted to. We've also had customers coming in "looking" for toyota accelerators with certain part numbers on them... I though wow that didnt take long!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010 - 02:54:11 PM »
True dat....    Remember the hallabaloo over the rear hatch latches on the Chrysler Minivans? Turns out only one death was the result when a kid BEHIND the rear seat UNBUCKLED was ejected from the vehicle in a wreck out of the Millions of vans on the road they produced. THAT was the end of the world, but these problems aren't???  I kinda think people that drop the $$$ for a Lexus  shouldn't ever have to worry about it uncontrollably accelerating or the company that made the car dragging it's feet admitting they have a problem because it might cost them a few sales or tarnish their image. Spin it anyway you want but that's what they did.  :misbehaving:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010 - 11:20:29 PM »
True dat....    Remember the hallabaloo over the rear hatch latches on the Chrysler Minivans?

Here's another one of those things.....

Did you know ma sent reps to fix all the caravan/voyager hatches??? ... even the ones in yards!!! They came by us twice!! So if we sold a hatch there would be no chance of lawsuit!  :grinyes:

True 1 death to many, but I've heard of this accelerator prob for over 2 years already ...........   :nono:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010 - 11:25:43 PM »
There is a radio ad for a local GM dealership out here that goes something like this

"are you worried about that dangerous Toyota in your drive way? well here at bla bla chevy we will give you top blue book value on your toyota to put you  in a safer GM vehicle"
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010 - 09:37:39 AM »
I still say that the problem is a design flaw, not a flawed part, per se. As long as we let the computer drive the car, we will see these kinds of problems. Our reliance upon technology to do simple things is only going to bite us in the rear over and over. Since the first electronic throttle control car hit the streets, I've been waiting for this failure. It was inevitable. Keep your throttle cables, folks.

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010 - 09:52:20 AM »
I still say that the problem is a design flaw, not a flawed part, per se. As long as we let the computer drive the car, we will see these kinds of problems. Our reliance upon technology to do simple things is only going to bite us in the rear over and over. Since the first electronic throttle control car hit the streets, I've been waiting for this failure. It was inevitable. Keep your throttle cables, folks.

:iagree:  Thats why i have a 1966 as my daily driver, older vehicles are so much more simple and there isnt near as much stuff that can go wrong.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010 - 02:45:31 PM »
I agree, its insane to get rid of mechanical throttle cables. I would never feel comfortable in a car built that way.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*