WOW Toyota

Author Topic: WOW Toyota  (Read 10207 times)

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
WOW Toyota
« on: February 04, 2010 - 12:26:41 PM »
First it was the floor mats causing accelarators sticking.
Then it was actual accelarators mechanically sticking.
NOW, the Prius model is supposedly having electronic problems with the breaking system.

Wonder what kind of advertising will get them over this? My neighbor said he either heard or read that as many as 15-20 million vechicles may be involved in recall notices, (USA) and this is not counting the ones still on the dealership lots unsold.

Ought to be able to get a good price on any of those 10-12 models affected.  :roflsmiley:  But it is sad for the families who have bought these cars, trucks, and SUV's. They have conceded that they are unsafe to drive,.................when you get your recall notice in the mail how are you "safely" suppossed to get these cars to the dealerships for repair? If I owned one I'd tell them to come out and tow my car into the shop, fix it, and then drive it back to my home !!  And what about "minor" accidents caused because of these problems? I'd say Toyota should also be responsible for paying for repair parts and labor to the body shops. Man, what a mess..............sure glad I don't own one of these lemons. But the lawyers are having sweet dreams and a smile from ear to ear, betcha.................. :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: WOW Toyota
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010 - 12:36:42 PM »
I am a huge Toyota fan, their vehicles don't appeal to me anymore, but I still love their trucks. I own a 2003 TRD Tacoma and have owned about 5 trucks in my life. They are hands down the best built vehicles I have every owned, but with these continuous recalls, a company like this can't possible keep surviving this sort of thing. Will be a sad day if they have to shut the doors.   :walkaway:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline sprecks

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010 - 12:49:52 PM »
Maybe their quality control isn't so superior to the Chrysler, GM and Ford cars as it has been talked about in the foreign car bias rags out there for years (ie: Motor trend and Car & Driver).
 :wavingflag:
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010 - 12:58:57 PM »
Quality control as of recent is definitely questionable, I don't think anyone who has worked on or owned Toyota products in the past would knock their quality, they always have been exceptionally built vehicles. However, lots will argue as there is lemons in every group.   :2thumbs:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010 - 02:06:08 PM »
 :'( Radio station here in st paul played a 911 call 2 days ago from a toyota driver that the accel pedal was stuck frantic and didn't know what to do ,panicking and said a intersection was coming up,next thing phone went dead and they anounced all four people were killed.real sad,got sick to my stomach after hearing that played back.............
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010 - 02:11:20 PM »
:'( Radio station here in st paul played a 911 call 2 days ago from a toyota driver that the accel pedal was stuck frantic and didn't know what to do ,panicking and said a intersection was coming up,next thing phone went dead and they anounced all four people were killed.real sad,got sick to my stomach after hearing that played back.............

Holy!!! think that was real or a spoof...if real thats some crazy story!

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010 - 02:23:14 PM »
played by a high end station in mnpls KQRS and i doubt they would have played it if it was fake.sounded real to me..........
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010 - 02:34:50 PM »
Very tragic, but how can anyone who has driven a car not know to "throw 'er in neutral" in that situation?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010 - 02:37:34 PM »
Man that's horrible, but you know a lot of people freeze up in scary situations and don't think straight.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010 - 02:50:06 PM »
The reality is that so few people behind the wheel anymore are still DRIVERS. Most are just passegers withsome extra gadgets in front of them. I bet that most people that have these kinds of issues don't have a single crack in the binding of their owner's manual, either. I don't know how many times I've had to explain to people that the key CAN be turned to "off" while in motion, without locking the steering wheel. As for electronic throttle control, I didn't like it when it was introduced, and was waiting for this day. Some things should NEVER be given over to a computer, and throttle control is one of them. Remember the Audi cruise control fiasco?

Offline thesado

• 1972 Barracuda 318 GY4
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010 - 04:08:06 PM »
Pretty sure the ignition key should reduce the engine RPMs.   :screwy:

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010 - 04:48:05 PM »
Several years ago I finally figured out that these quality/warranty numbers are heavily swayed by peoples perceptions.  The Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport were the exact same vehicle (other than badges), yet the Isuzu had twice as many JDPower problems as the Honda.  I don't think all those problems were the badges. 

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010 - 05:15:58 PM »
Well personally I have never been a fan of Toy
 in the 80s the people I knew that had them found them under powered & unreliable , the older series trucks were a joke you could barely do 60 MPH & forget passing . In more recent years  I have seen a number of them scatter the engine with just around 100,000 miles on them which seems to be very short lived to me , parts are rediculously overpriced .
I just don`t understand the hype they are not even an average vehicle in my opinion.......
 Hondas seem far easier to work on & seem to have soemwhat better life & reliability to me
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010 - 05:18:41 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010 - 05:22:19 PM »
In more recent years  I have seen a number of them scatter the engine with just around 100,000 miles on them
Engine sludging...my wife's Solara gets a free motor when this one blows...an under-the-table recall effort!
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010 - 05:31:01 PM »
I'm kind of waiting to see if Mopar will see some of these problems with their cars, my 04 Pacifica has had a "catch" in the gas pedal since new. Dealer say's theres nothing wrong with it.
Now that it's in the news we may be hearing more of this.
Dave