WOW Toyota

Author Topic: WOW Toyota  (Read 10209 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: WOW Toyota
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010 - 08:29:51 PM »
I agree with the notion that Toyota has gotten too big.  They are basically making the same mistakes that the domestics did 15-20yrs ago;  banking on there name to sell while quality suffered.  Unfortunately for them, this is a horrible economy to make these mistakes, 2 of our automakers are still struggling from the public perception even though quality is pretty even across the board now.  Toyota made some bullet proof, simple and cheap cars back in they day.  However, I've noticed there quality dropping the 10+ yrs. since I started turning wrenches.  Honda is doing the same thing too.  At least we have an equal playing field now.....

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010 - 09:35:07 PM »
One of my friends is a service manager at a Honda dealership. He laughs about their alleged "Quality". He doesn't own one....   :grinno:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2010 - 09:46:18 PM »
Funny you say that, I was talking to a friend who is a Toyota Service Manager.  He says that he has a guy flagging 48hrs a DAY because of this recall.  He's gonna have guys pulling 300hrs in a week!  They are so busy that they dont even try to upsell customer pay work right now, they are open 7 days a week.  Can you imagine the warranty expenses alone, before all of the lost customers and idled vehicle sales?

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010 - 09:57:35 AM »
My neighbor laughing said it was no wonder they were having all these problems...................it's because of all the japanese parts they were using. That's funny  :roflsmiley:  But not to the people who own and are employed by them. Sure going to be a mess, last I saw they have already recalled about a half million of the Preius models for brake failure.  :bricks1: for Toyoto.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010 - 10:06:36 AM »
Would you trust your safety to a brake system that lets a computer decide whether you get the hydraulic or the electric brakes? And the engineers don't see a problem with the design- just the software. It takes 40 minutes to reprogram the ABS computer, and there is no REAL problem? Give me a solid, mechanical connection between me and my vehicle, any day. When the Feds decide that we MUST drive this kind of crap, I'll stop driving.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2010 - 05:56:51 PM »
all of this has made it so I am not really ever wanting to buy a new car again.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010 - 08:57:53 AM »
Anyone else hear this : On the news last night they were hashing all this over and they commented that there were ALSO some complaints from Corolla owners that they were experiencing sterring problems, they didn't eloberate what kind of problems ?   So, ya have throttle control problems, ys have braking problems, and also some sterring problems  :eek2:  All these are relatively new cars, are there any totally "safe" vehicles made by Toyota in the last few years?  All makes of cars occasionally will have a few lemons, but this is a whole forrest of lemon trees.   :villagers: = Toyota owners.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010 - 01:31:11 PM »
The poblem with the Corolla steering appears to be related to the rack & pinion. Vibration, slow return to center, and some other noise/feel complaints have been fielded. Looks like I will keep buying used cars.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2010 - 01:44:59 PM »
Very tragic, but how can anyone who has driven a car not know to "throw 'er in neutral" in that situation?

This is what I've been thinking all along. Worst case scenario, you burn up the motor and you're still alive. I feel sorry for the people who died, but it seems like such an easy way to react.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010 - 09:08:01 AM »
Apparently, you were taught how to drive. People are no longer taught the proper responses to emergency situations behind the wheel, and this is one of the results. We are becoming a nation of complacent passengers, with no control over our own automobiles. Just asking a random group of people what to do in a similar situation, will surprise and shock you with the responses. Remember that we share the road with these people.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010 - 11:14:01 AM »
Apparently, you were taught how to drive. People are no longer taught the proper responses to emergency situations behind the wheel, and this is one of the results. We are becoming a nation of complacent passengers, with no control over our own automobiles. Just asking a random group of people what to do in a similar situation, will surprise and shock you with the responses. Remember that we share the road with these people.
I was talking with a 24 YO co-worker and she admitted having no clue what to do in that situation.  Her thought was to bail  :eek2:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010 - 08:23:58 PM »
I was talking with a 24 YO co-worker and she admitted having no clue what to do in that situation.  Her thought was to bail  :eek2:

:useless:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2010 - 10:10:42 AM »
 :smilielol:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010 - 08:41:27 AM »
Wow!  Now they're talking about a recall on the Corolla for power steering problems.  The president of Toyota also says he will not come over for the hearings on their quality issues.

It's interesting how a lot of the stories I read about this still seem to praise Toyota for their fast action in investigating these problems.  I guess it just goes to show, you can build crap as long as you apologize for it afterward.  As a side note, last month was the first time in 12 years that Toyota did not sell 100,000 cars.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010 - 08:54:17 AM by 73Chally »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010 - 12:13:36 PM »

It's interesting how a lot of the stories I read about this still seem to praise Toyota for their fast action in investigating these problems.  I guess it just goes to show, you can build crap as long as you apologize for it afterward.

I read a book called Car a while back; it was the history of the first redesign of the Taurus. they mentioned something called the Honda Principle, or something like that. Apparently at the time Honda had such a great rep that people who had problems with them were afraid to speak out about them. I worked for Honda at the time, and I know how they gamed the JD Power system, though.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars